RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Maintenance ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 02:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shepfly wrote:

Assuming you have hydraulic brakes all your rubber flex lines are well past their service life and should be replaced and system bled completely. Do you have the auto brake system? That is another can of worms all on its own! Dave

Hoses were replaced. Do not have the dreaded auto park system thank God.

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for coolant. It uses Prestone (Green) but is there a preference of full strength vs 50/50 mix?

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/18 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht,
No one that I know of has a magic crystal ball. No one can tell when something, especially auto engine/drivetrain related, is going to give up the ghost and leave you stranded. There are items, wearable items, that are pretty much a given. Things like v-belts and serpentine belts. Those run through such a thrashing and actually take quite a beating before they self destruct. Radiator hoses, well, that's one that is really tough to make a decision on.

Some will give an indication that they're not in the best of health. Others, like the ones on our CAT C-7 equipped '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD, looked pretty much like brand new, at 82,000 miles when I just recently decided to replace them. No weakness, no soft spots, no indication of pre-failure what so ever. It cost me around $315.00 for all the coolant hoses on our rig and, the two thermostats (CAT calls them "Regulators).

I feel I could have easily went to 100K miles with all those hoses. But, what the heck, better to be safe than sorry, even when it does cost that much as preventative maintenance just for coolant hoses.

But, anyway, these rolling Kleenex boxes do need some attention every now and then so, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/18 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the water pump, you may want to see if the original pump is still available. There are a lot of pumps listed that will fit your engine but they are light duty and have a smaller shaft and bearings. This lighter pump will work and fit on the engine, but the heavy duty fan clutch, and fiberglass fan, will soon take a toll on the water pump bearings.
For my 8.1L GM engine I could get water pumps that cost from $75 to $350. I got one of the few remaining Workhorse water pumps and it is much heavier than the other available water pumps. If yours isn't leaking, I'd keep it as long as possible.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS