|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Diamondair

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Evening

I have a 2015 Jayco Jayflight TT and was fishing for some feedback on mounting items. This is our first travel trailer and 3 years owning it.

I have been nervous on mounting items with screws and been using command strips for everything. Most of everything is holding well but I was to add a mounted paper towel holder. This is a metal holder that has a type of spring load to it.

Now we all know those things take a beating from being pulled and yanked. I am looking to mount to the underside of my cabinet. The under side is hollow sounding. Not a solid piece of wood, which I think could be that way for some type of serviceability. I do not think the command strip will last long at all. A screw in m opinion would last but not that long just note enough material to grab on too.
So I ran across using pop rivets in my search on mounting something like this.

I am curious what everyone is doing to mounting things like this and other things. Possibly looking to mount a medicine cabinet in the RR exterior wall as well. Not sure what I could do there or if the rivets would work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
2011 Ford F350 4x4

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try toggle bolts for mounting to the exterior walls.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

hussbuss

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use well nuts. Drill mounting hole, insert rubber encased nut. As you tighten the screw the rubber expands. I have used these in blind, hollow walls in my trailer for years. Available at any hardware store.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My command strips started pulling the wall paper off the wall. All I had on it were rain coats and jackets. So I just drove a small nail through the command strip.

I had the same thing happen with a small mirror, the wall paper started to pucker under the little command strip, so I push it back and used a small brad nail on that one.

I have concluded the wall paper glue they used creeps when under pressure.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 02:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could probably through-bolt the towel holder into the bottom of the cabinet. I would use a fastener with a thin head so that cabinet items could be removed and added easily.

FWIW, I have one of those Command Strips, Extra Strength that I use for hanging a framed picture. It hasn't budged in 6 years. I think the Extra Strength Command strips are used for mirrors and towel bars, etc.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always used SS screws snugged up to hold all kinds of lightweight stuff on the camper walls. The trick is to not spin the screw past the tight stage.
Our paper towel holder is also screwed into the bottom 5mm plywood layer of a wall cabinet. No problem after 2 or so years.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2008 Nissan Frontier CC 4WD
Andersen Hitch

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the wall or space behind the intended screw is hallow, then a Molly bolt mount is probably your best bet.

If the wall is styrofoam filled, there's Molly's won't work, neither will expanding bolts, as the styrofoam won't allow the expansion. In that case, glue another board on the surface and use regular screws to hold it in place, or a nail gun with finishing nails. After the glue sets up, then you can mount anything to the additional thickness of wood with a normal wood screw.

If attaching anything to an outside wall, make absolutely sure the screw you are using is shorter than the thickness of your wall.

Attaching a cabinet to the wall, you really need to hit the studs. Although with enough glue (like original Liquid Nails) with a few nail gun finishing nails to hold it in place, will also do the trick pretty well. Just make sure the nails are long enough to go through the cabinet back and the paneling on the wall, but not so long it penetrates the outside wall of the camper.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not try to glue anything to the paneling in a camper. It may stick at first and it may stick forever. Murphy says that either the glue will fail or will end up peeling a section of vinyl/paper covering off the wall, leaving a patch of bare luaun.

seekingsummits

Fishers IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im looking at the same idea. Im looking to mount this to
Tv mount to my exterior. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071XDW3LD
Its only going to have a 32in tv and just when we are oarked obviously. Suggestions for best mounting method?
Thanks
Adam

seekingsummits

Fishers IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for some extra info my 2017 outback 325bh has the fiberglass exterior vs the corregated metal panels if that matters.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS