|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When did "camping" become an indoor sport? A friend was in a Texas park yesterday. The weather was a perfect seventy degrees, no threat of rain, not windy, and nobody was outside. He walked past 30-40 campers in the middle of the afternoon and "nobody" was outside. I have observed this also, although I never mentioned it.

Has RVing become simply living and traveling cheaply in a tin can? Are people too occupied to visit with their neighbors? Are they afraid of their neighbors? Too easy to use the microwave instead of an outdoor grill? This phenomenon may only apply to the Winter Texans that populate the campers at this time of year. Hopefully, younger people get out more. Just wondering.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe they were visiting the local sights. We don't stay in the RV, but neither do we sit around the campsite.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

chag67

Montgomery, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm inside when I am at my spot where I stay because most everyone at the park I'm at is long term. This is what I call "living". However, when I am "camping" at another park, I am usually in my hammock enjoying the weather or mostly I am out sight seeing.

2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It isn't a new phenomenon ..........seen it for years.

Have watched folks pull in and other then setting up/breaking camp never see them the whole time they are there.
MHs are even worst----they don't even come outside to set up.

Our RV is a basically place to sleep and prep food.
Otherwise we are outside or gone exploring.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we aren't out fishing, we are probably inside sleeping. We pull all nighters at the pier fishing if the fish are biting good.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks". Not everyone thinks as you do. Be glad.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

When did "camping" become an indoor sport? A friend was in a Texas park yesterday. The weather was a perfect seventy degrees, no threat of rain, not windy, and nobody was outside. He walked past 30-40 campers in the middle of the afternoon and "nobody" was outside. I have observed this also, although I never mentioned it.

Has RVing become simply living and traveling cheaply in a tin can? Are people too occupied to visit with their neighbors? Are they afraid of their neighbors? Too easy to use the microwave instead of an outdoor grill? This phenomenon may only apply to the Winter Texans that populate the campers at this time of year. Hopefully, younger people get out more. Just wondering.

What possible business is it of yours? People use their RV as they fit...just because it's different than yours doesn't make it wrong.

Rock Wells

Vacaville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks". Not everyone thinks as you do. Be glad.

X2...

Rock & Nan Wells
'17 Ram Laramie 3500 Diesel 4x4
'17 Keystone Sprinter 297FWRLS FW

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't go 'camping' to talk to the neighbors or to sit around inside or outside. We can do that at home.
We're out and about.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on where you are.... many people are not inside, but out doing/seeing things. That's generally the case with us.

If the weather is nice we will bring meals outside, or sit under the awning, on a non-busy day. But we might be inside taking a nap, too.

We don't cook outside, unless it's marshmallows or hot dogs over a fire.....I hate dragging cooking stuff out and back in. Having an indoor kitchen is one of the prime advantages of a RV.

I'm kind of with you, though..... if I want to stay inside and watch TV, I'll just stay home.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS