|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you prefer barking dogs, screaming kids, loud music, revving engines, noisy family arguments, idling diesels, etc.?
Sometimes silence is golden. [emoticon]

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy my cozy home, but weather permitting, I'm often outside. Pretty sure what you're seeing with us older folk is that our regulating body furnace doesn't work as efficiently at our age so if the weather isn't perfect, we tend to stay inside where it's climate controlled.

Then there is the fact that many RV parks are dusty, graveled, treeless places that we've setup camp at for many possible reasons other than meeting the neighbors...close to family, close to tourist experiences, close to a RV shop with a good reputation, close to a golf course, close to good shopping after a couple weeks on the road ending up with a depleted pantry.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a new phenomenon at all. This has been a trend for quite a while now.

However, to justify in-door living, consider this? You spend anywhere from $11,000 to $250,000 for an RV, of any choice. Today's campers are so luxurious, they are just as comfortable and pleasant to be inside as it is outside. In fact, if someone pays a small fortune for an RV, they may want to enjoy the inside of it, more than the outside of it.

We driveway camp (at home) from April to December, and very seldom spend time in the house. Jan, Feb, Mar it's just too cold to reasonabley cost-effectively heat the camper when we have a perfectly good house that needs heat too.

But during the warmer months, we absolutely love hanging out inside the travel trailer, watching television, using our computers, even doing work-from-home (as we both have jobs in IT and can work remotely). We enjoy sleeping in the camper, enjoy the smaller space, compared to the house, and truly love our camper.

We have a fire pit at home, a fire place in the house, we live in the country, it's quiet, we have minimal neighbors, and corn and bean fields for a front and back yard. Dogs run free, no fences, burn our own trash, and can pee in our own front yard (if a car is not passing by). Apart from taking care of the property, or if I'm engaged in a wood craft in the garage, or working my 9-5 job, both my wife and I absolutely love hanging out inside the camper. With our own private campground, it's not really a big deal for us to spend time outside when camping at a State Park. When camping at a park, we are usually out-and-about, site seeing or doing something. When we return, we're inside the camper. We're not hermits, we just find it much easier to relax on the couch than it is to drag out lawn chairs, build a fire, and fight off mosquitoes.

The most important thing is, we enjoy our camper! We enjoy being inside it. It's comfy, cozie, and provides a nice place of solitude for us, calming, relaxing, peaceful, our own little world. We go inside and we are in our own private domaine.

The need to hang out outside the camper sitting around a camp fire is not all that important to us, especially when we keep a fire going in our fire place all winter at home and have a fire pit we use almost every night in the summer, cooking hotdogs, or something on for supper. When camping, it's kind of nice NOT doing those things.

To each his own. This is our world, and maybe one explanation why you don't see us outside the camper all that much at the campground.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was very interesting, DutchmenSport, for a different perspective.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch! I unintentionally stepped on some toes. I am not judging, just observing. Folks can spend their days, and nights, anyway they want. I spend a lot of time in my travel trailer. Like right now. Means nothing to me, but I am surprised that people will spend a lot of money to not sit around a campfire as one contributor stated. I also realize that RVing does not mean "Camping".

ol' yeller

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went camping, we were too wrapped up in having fun, exploring, and sightseeing to go around the campground counting how many RVs have people inside. Some days we are inside, some days we are outside and some days we are gone. Never gave a thought to what others were doing.

2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A Class C
Oh yeah, the wife & Beagle come along too!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Then there is the fact that many RV parks are dusty, graveled, treeless places that we've setup camp at for many possible reasons other than meeting the neighbors...........

I get that, but this was in a beautiful Corps of Engineers Park with a lake within one hundred yards and perfect weather. Seemed odd not to encounter even one person out stretching their legs. Maybe Oprah was on the tv?

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I'm going to choose "all of the above" as my answer.[emoticon]

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

It isn't a new phenomenon ..........seen it for years.

Have watched folks pull in and other then setting up/breaking camp never see them the whole time they are there.
MHs are even worst----they don't even come outside to set up.

Our RV is a basically place to sleep and prep food.
Otherwise we are outside or gone exploring.

Same here, inside just to shower and sleep, we don't even cook inside or hang around our campsite all day.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not judging, and if my buddy had not pointed it out, I might have missed it entirely. It is easier to sit inside a luxurious $100,000 motorhome than to sit inside a $100 tent. Nothing wrong with either one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS