RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Quality within the Forest River line of Trailers

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Quality within the Forest River line of Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any idea which Forest River trailers are better than the others within their company? If you wikipedia Forest River, the company explanation is more like spaghetti than anything else. When you think you have things figured out, they create a new company, stop making this brand and revive that brand and so on to just confuse the consumer further. Within the company there's Prime Time Manufacturing, Forest River, Coachman, Shasta, Palomino, and on and on, can anyone say this trailer is better than that trailer if within the same price point? For instance, I'm considering a Salem Hemisphere and an Arctic Wolf. Both within a couple grand of each other and both are similar in size and options offered. Is one better than the other? I have no clue!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let asking price be your guide.
FR is no different than any other. Thor owns a whole raft of names too. In fact Thor is probably the largest TV builder right now. They make good, OK, and junk just like FR.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For starters, you may want to let RV Trader and RVT.com do some of the work for you.
Use their advanced search feature, fifth wheel, Forest River, and then the sub brands you listed and even the model numbers. Let them show you the range of prices and you have your answer as much as that can be answered.
They build almost identical floorplans under many different names. With some, as the materials improve, prices increase, (ie; corian countertop vs laminate) The company doesnt always increase the time allowed for assembly. So the price points change based on the cost of the materials.

In general with most low to mid priced lines the changes will revolve around the following

Outer skin and framing. Alum frame and glass skin vs wood frame and luan with alum siding.

Wood cabinetry vs plywood vs particle board.

Flooring, particle board and foam vs Tongue and groove wood OSB.

Solid surface countertop vs formica.

Higher priced units may get bigger tanks, which means frames, axles, etc all have to be slightly heavier to carry the increased weight.

While all brands use bascically similar appliances, as price point increases, use of slightly larger reefers, and furnaces will occur.

But with every single aspect of the unit being planned to the n'th degree for cost and weight savings, Quality control, which is a cost, that doesnt add a single inch to the size, or lighten the unit by a single pound, gets minimal attention.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like anything, price will be a determination factor in quality. On the toy hauler side, wolf pack and XLR boost are the cheapest, Shockwave/sandstorm/stealth are middle of the road. And thunderbolt and vengeance are the highest end. What that means is they have more solid construction and better components with fancier features. It does not mean the build quality is any better. My buddies thunderbolt has had as many issues is my stealth. But he has some cooler features than I do.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2008 GMC 2500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Wildcat served us well for 13 years and with the exception of the metal frame underneath, it was about the same overall build quality as my Arctic Fox.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a '06 Cedar Creek Silverback and was very happy w/ all aspects of the coach while we owned it. Tho you didn't mention it, IMO, CC ranks high in my book for quality.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input everyone. Not sure if I'll be able to pull off a deal or not. I just learned that interest rates in New York are much higher now than they were when we bought our last camper. Our credit score is 800+ and the best rate the dealers I'm working with can get locally is 7.25% I may have to work the deal and then look outside of my area for a loan. That percentage rate for excellent credit is crazy!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone. Not sure if I'll be able to pull off a deal or not. I just learned that interest rates in New York are much higher now than they were when we bought our last camper. Our credit score is 800+ and the best rate the dealers I'm working with can get locally is 7.25% I may have to work the deal and then look outside of my area for a loan. That percentage rate for excellent credit is crazy!

Don't be afraid to shop out of state, so long as the numbers work for you; different dealers use different lenders. Just know that the local dealers will almost certainly put you to the back of the line for any work they do, if they'll service your rig at all. Be sure to find a brand that will allow qualified independent mobile RV service techs to perform warranty work so you don't have to deal with this industry-wide b.s. Also, look into a HELOC loan. Just got an offer the other day for 2.99% for 12 months with 5.x% after that.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at credit unions as well for interest rates. Got ours last year for under 3%. Once you find a RV you like, google it to see if other out of state dealers like laknox said to get a better price. We did and saved over 9K and purchase price was STILL lower than that of a NY dealer. Sure we had to pay NY taxes, but less of 'em. I too had exact same prob that laknox said about getting service/warranty work done.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, I'll be exploring every option before throwing in the towel!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Quality within the Forest River line of Trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS