|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> "Professor95"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't double post - so for those who recall the many informative posts
(and longest running thread) on this forum by "The Prof" - see "Trailer Fire" in the 5th wheel forum.

Got out OK - - but can't say the same for his 5th wheel..[emoticon]

~

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good reminder that Li-ion battery is a fire hazard.

I thought the longest running thread was on problems with certain popular Chinese generator, - forgot the name.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what he said on another forum.

" Detail? No - all I can provide is conjecture based on some knowledge I have and research.

My golf cart was powered by two 48 volt Li-Ion batteries bought on eBay. They were single units, not a full pack, from a wrecked 2013 Chevy Volt.

The golf cart was parked under the front pin box area to keep it free of the heavy wet dew we have been having.

The GC was not on a charger and the battery switch was turned off. I had charged it to 48.8 volts the previous day with a charger I had built that had both current and voltage limiting circuitry. It's peak DC output was 50 volts as controlled by an auto transformer, charging current was limited to 15 amps. There was also a timer that limited the charging time to a preset period. The temperature cut off circuit was built but not installed. I had previously charged the batteries many times and know the circuitry in the charger was rock solid and accurate. I also know my wiring was overkill and done to a level of perfection. I had driven the cart at about 6:30 pm and all seemed fine.

Yet, the cart caught fire around 3:30 a.m. Fire may not be the best word as it apparently exploded.

Knowing what and how everything was done and it was right I am inclined to believe there was a defect lurking within one of the batteries. They were from a wrecked car, meaning they were exposed to extreme shock. I just never stopped to think about that aspect. The problem is these batteries can overheat and catch fire or explode if there is an internal rupture between opposing polarity cells. The separation is paper thin. A small pinhole can go for months before a charging cycle, discharge or another shock causes a full rupture. If that happens everything goes boom.

Please keep in mind I do not know this to be factual - it is my conjecture as to how the battery or batteries overheated and exploded. There could have been other causes.

What is of the greatest significance to come out of this entire ordeal is how fast a fire can consume one of our fiver's. It is literally seconds, not minutes before all breathable oxygen is gone and the atmosphere is filled with toxic and extremely corrosive material from burning plastics. I now know a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher will be of little value unless you are awake and looking at the start of the fire. I repeat, due to the size of our trailers and the typical arrangement of a single escape window from the bedroom if the staircase and exit is blocked by fire requires a doable and practiced plan. A fire can start most anywhere from anything -from dryer lint, a faulty refrigerator, electrical appliances, propane stoves - you name it. If we are in bed asleep safe escape without injury may not be possible. It is enough to scare the bee-gees out of you! "

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanx for that info,,I would never use battery from wrecked ev..
Wonder if some automatic fire extingisher using Halon would have stoped the fire?

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Don.
I like very much his "conjecture" about defect lurking within one of batteries - after wrecked car. All the Li-ion fires that I recall, were due to mechanical damage causing internal short.

But I wonder how could anyone be sure that a new battery purchased from retailer was not dropped or shaken before you got it. UPS drivers, - you know...

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

I thought the longest running thread was on problems with certain popular Chinese generator, - forgot the name.

Correct! - although not necessarily "problems".

(Started by "Professor95") - Clicky.....

"3000W Chinese Gensets Info"

......which "evolved" into mainly Champion brand gens.

[emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do LI batteries catch fire? Well first you need to understand that there are multiple types of LI technology, Some are safer than others and I'm not expert enough to say which is which..

2nd: Over the years I've owned many computers (laptops and desktops) one which I bought new as a very nice IBM Thinkpad before IBM sold the name to Leveno

IT was a "Cool New Laptop" only that specific model came with a Made in China LI battery (Most all LI batteries sold in the US are made in China, for very good reasons, only two countries have supplies of LIthium and the other one is unfriendly to the USA) and it turns out I got a free replacement battery because some folks who bought a Cool New Laptop. Found out they had a very HOT new laptop. So hot it was on fire.. Due to the battery.

SO yes. some of them do catch fire.

I just don't know which ones

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

SO yes. some of them do catch fire.

I just don't know which ones

Chemistries other than Li-polymer are more prone to this.

From his narrative it looks like the cause of fire (same as in many other cases) was not heating when in use, but internal short.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

A good reminder that Li-ion battery is a fire hazard.

NOT about problems

just discussion on the use of, and caring, and moding
of ALL 3000w chinese mfg generators

that thread is around 10yrs old, very long running, with lots of info about changing outlets, rewiring mods, brushes, and regulators etc.

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr Wiz, I never read the above thread on "Chinese Champion". Didn't need to, fortunately.
At this point it appears that mere reading it all would amount to substantial effort, if not a problem [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> "Professor95"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS