|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Help me decide on a 110 volt tire inflator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4aSong wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

What pressures are we talking about? "E" rated at 80 psi, "G" rated at 110 psi, or something else? Makes a big difference on what you buy. A compressor rated to 110 psi will take a very long time, if ever, to get your tires to 110 psi. And you won't find a quiet compressor at your price point.

I have a 150 psi Porter Cable that I'm pleased with, but it was neither quiet or $50.

Maximum 80 psi is what I am looking for. Don't mind paying more but most of the small 110v inflation units seem to dance everywhere. Do not need a 12v unit.

I am considering the Husky Model 12120 any input on this model would be appreciated.

I don't think it would be very satisfactory for anything other than a slight topping up of RV tires at 80 psi. It's rated at 0.2 scfm at 90 psi (zero point two), with a three minute on/five minute off duty cycle. I might guess that a decent bicycle pump would be at least as fast overall, though somewhat more exercise.

At least they put some performance ratings on the data plate, which is better than a lot of inflators out there.

By contrast, my pet favorite RV compressor, the Fini AirBoss, is rated at 1.8 scfm at 90 psi.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

You are asking too much, for the price you want to pay. I bought a more quiet than most, lighter than most (32 lbs), very nice 6 gal pancake compressor, with quality gauges and fittings. No, it does not move when running. You'll need to add another $100 to the $50 though. Most times, you get what you pay for.

Jerry

[image]

This is a very good compressor.
I did a lot of research and was going to buy one of the cheapo Porter Cable units at Home Depot until I started reading the reviews. It has a habit of failing and the part that fails is half the price of the compressor.
After a lot more reading I settled on the above compressor which gets great reviews. I've used it quite a bit over the years for work and it has been flawless.
It will cost a bit more but it's a forever tool.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

JoeTampa

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know your specified 110v, but I am a big fan of this Ryobi 18V inflator:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-Tool-Only-P731/203060297

It helps that I have a lot of batteries for it and compatible tools/chargers, but there you go. I have two, and I use them to top off the tires as needed.

Nice features:

1. Set the desired pressure, start it, and walk away. It shuts off automatically.
2. Supports 150 psi.
3. Can do low-pressure jobs too like balls/floats/air mattresses/etc.
4. Runs on batteries; no need to run 12v or 110v down to the wheels.

Highly recommended.

2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An “inflator” does not need a tank and will be much lighter, smaller and cheaper without the tank. I have one similar to the $25 12 volt model in the Husky link, which I bought at Walmart. I like the security of having it along in case of trouble (we camp in remote areas, often having no neighbours to ask for help and no phone service), but it sure isn’t used very often.

At home I have a good sized compressor with tank that I put in a wheel barrow to take it to the vehicle I’m working on. Much faster. Much more convenient than going to a garage. I use it mostly in the late fall to up the pressure a bit for cold weather and sometimes in the spring to get just the right pressures for the camping season. I didn’t pay enough for it (Costco special); the darn thing leaks air especially when cold. When airing car tires I pump up a portable tank (that doesn’t leak) and carry it to the car easily.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Porter Cable pancake compressor. Less than a hundred dollars. More than your 50, but worth way more than what you will get for 50 bucks

Is this the unit you are referring too?
Porter Cable Pancake Unit

Mike and Nancy

Tundra TRD V8 4WD w/Leer Shell
Lance Model 1985 - The Kramalot Inn
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

You are asking too much, for the price you want to pay. I bought a more quiet than most, lighter than most (32 lbs), very nice 6 gal pancake compressor, with quality gauges and fittings. No, it does not move when running. You'll need to add another $100 to the $50 though. Most times, you get what you pay for.

Jerry

[image]

Is this the DeWalt unit you are referring too, Model # DWFP55126 ?

Dewalt DWFP55126

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, that's the Dewalt.
I think you can find a much better deal on it elsewhere online.

2oldman

Pahrump

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Do many people pick up nails or screws in their tires?
No, but some of us go from hot to cold weather.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Yes, that's the Dewalt.
I think you can find a much better deal on it elsewhere online.

Yes, Scott is correct, I paid $149 free shipping from Amazon. It has a cast aluminum tank, why it's lighter, and a very smooth running motor. With the 165 psi, and high flow fittings, it is capable of running some air tools. It goes from 0-165 very quickly. The lever operated quick drain ball valve is nice too. IMO, easily worth the 33 percent more cost over similar models I looked at.

Jerry

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not exactly what the OP is after but Harvey51 brought up a good point when your away from civilization or other people either when camping or just seeing the back country.
A 12Volt 150 PSI Compact Air Compressor could be a time saver when changing the tire isn't convenient or possibly safe. If it's a slow leak it could get towards civilization just by adding air. Besides the convience if boondocking and and needing a top off. I carry this in the truck and easy to use.
https://m.harborfreight.com/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-69285.html

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Help me decide on a 110 volt tire inflator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS