|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV Warranties

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
newrver327

heath

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had a travel trailer, always a tent but now wife and me
are retired and looking for a used travel trailer. I found out they don't have warranties,even ones that are one year old. So I'm want to know what other RVers do, mainly should get a warranty from GS etc. I've heard that some repairs are very expensive.

Thanks for the replies

lawrosa

Horry County

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most here fix thier own stuff. Even my new travel trailer with a one year warranty never saw the dealer. I fixed all the warranty issues for them. Its my opinion they would of just hacked it up.

Buying used all the bugs are usually worked out. Don't know how handy you are, Often items to do are pretty straight forward.

Cleaning cauklking roof 2 times a year. Once you see what they charge for this service you will want to do yourself.

Lube the bearings. This is another that owners do.

Any major applance failure can be fixed yourself too. Rven replaced if need to..

If money is not a probalem then find a good dealer and stick with them.

But if you get any aftermarket plan you will need basic service at the dealer out of pocket to keep warranty active..

GS fine print.

"Our plan requires RV owners to service your vehicle according to the manufacturer's requirements to maintain full coverage under the policy. For 10% discounts on parts and labor for non-covered repairs, use a service facility in Good Sam Extended Service Plan’s Preferred Provider Network."

This means you must take it to have bearings greased. A failure there and you did not have a shop do it your not covered.

Same with roof. Need to schedule caulking 2 times a year I believe. If you don't and a leak comes about your up %^&* creek..

This is just an example from my experience...

My dealer wanted $1700 bucks for extended warranty... I said no thanks. Ill pay as I go....

read here all about it... Deductibles and pre existing conditions...

http://www.goodsamesp.com/faq.aspx

Your best off buying something new from the manufacturers that carry at least a 2 year warranty...Like jayco for exp.

* This post was edited 03/07/18 11:52pm by lawrosa *

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Create your own repair fund by saving the price of a warrenty divided by the number of pay checks you get each year. Then when something happens fix it your self from this savings fund. You will be better off.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newrver327 wrote:

I have never had a travel trailer, always a tent but now wife and me are retired and looking for a used travel trailer. I found out they don't have warranties,even ones that are one year old. So I'm want to know what other RVers do, mainly should get a warranty from GS etc. I've heard that some repairs are very expensive.

You either buy new for the warranty (and a never slept in bed [emoticon] ) or you buy used without a warranty and deal with anything that comes up yourself, meaning you either fix what's wrong yourself OR take it to someone who can and pay them to do it. Either way, do yourself a favour and forget any notion you might have that camping in an RV of any sort is "inexpensive" ... it's not, not by a long shot. If you're lucky you won't have any major issues but you always do want to be aware that catastrophe can be waiting just around the corner for you - believe it, a dead fridge that needs to be replaced won't be inexpensive. Most would probably agree that water leakage is the worst as it can easily destroy a trailer to the point where it's a write off, so especially if you're buying used pay very careful attention for any signs of water leakage. If you don't know what to look for pay to have the unit inspected before purchase by someone who does.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

these are not cars where there fixed in a day or two some times a rv will sit on the dealers lot for months waiting on a one hour repair job.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the warranty is important enough that you feel you need one on even a 1 or 2 year old unit, buy new. The cost of the warranty would cover the price difference in most cases.
The components in a TT are warranted individually, appliances, roof, etc have varying warranties from their individual manufacturers.
If you are handy and take care of most things around your home yourself, and do the basics on your vehicles also, you can do most of the basics on a TT also. For those times you cant, find a local independent repair tech to help you. Contact a couple of the local Campgrounds as well as the yellow pages, and use them.

RVhiker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newrver327 wrote:

... looking for a used travel trailer...

If you change your mind and decide to buy a new trailer for the warranty coverage, I've got some comments.

The quality and speed of warranty service depends almost entirely on the dealer. According to posts in this forum and others, many dealers are not even moderately interested in taking care of their customers issues. A repair that takes a few hours can take many weeks or months. Parts orders re "lost"; management changes; slowness and ineptness is rampant.

Many RV'ers who buy new for the warranty find they have to do the repairs themselves due to difficulties with the dealer.

Just be aware. Sometimes dealers have a good warranty program, sometimes not.

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Warranty on a travel trailer or most other RVs is nothing like a warranty on a vehicle.

It is much more like the warranty on a house. The trailer mfr warranties the shell of the trailer. The roof warranty is by the roof mfr, the fridge is warranted by the mfr, the furnace by the mfr, etc. Heck, the axles under my TT were warranty by the axle maker (Dexter) who tried to blame a problem on Forest River and how they mounted the axles. Forest River of course blamed Dexter. Finally they both had argued long enough they claimed the axles were now out of warranty.

The Extra-Ride extended warranty did step up and pay for the repair, though read the fine print. I had to pay for shipping the new axles from Dexter to Dallas.

It would have been cheaper to just buy new axles in Dallas, have the mounting built and installed. Of course the place where I bought the trailer would not do that, because they are a Forest River dealer and have to do repairs with OEM parts.

If you feel you need a warranty, I would definitely say buy new and possibly get an extended warranty through the dealer.

Frankly it is cheaper to use mobile RV techs and pay for repairs that you cannot do yourself.

But we are full-timers. If we put the rig in the shop for a warranty repair, we have to find a motel, or relative where we can live for the lengthy repair / warranty claim cycle. Maybe you can do without your trailer for 30-90 days in the summer. We cannot.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Sailors are essential because even Marines need heroes”

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

The roof warranty is by the roof mfr ...

Not true, and widely misunderstood. The actual roof is covered under the same warranty as the rest of the trailer structure by the trailer manufacturer, the roof membrane is warrantied by the manufacturer of the membrane used, whether EPDM, TPO, or whatever. What many also conveniently seem to forget is that warranties are intended to cover errors in manufacturing, not stupidity on the part of the owner, such as tearing the roof membrane with a tree branch. [emoticon]

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're fairly handy in that you could fix the plumbing, do some light electrical and build a shed around your home I would pass on the warranty.
Google and Youtube are exc as well as a forum like this or the brand forum for your model are exc places to get help. RV's are not near as daunting as one would think.
I would look for a 2 year old trailer if possible. 1st they should be way less than even a newer discounted one and 2nd most of the bugs should've been worked out. Lots of people buy one then want something bigger or want a different layout and trade up.
If you're not at all handy then either buy new and get an extended warranty or buy used and get a warranty. If you have deep pockets then don't get the warranty.
I would also add that there's plenty of RV's that don't have problems worth taking to a dealer. Having owned 3 different trailers from 3 different MFG's I would not get an extended warranty. I'm also pretty handy. If you like to tinker on stuff then most problems are easily fixed. Some yearly maintenance is also required. Like caulking or bearing repack. RV's need to be stayed on top of and not neglected. Too many problems occur from owners that don't know about the maintenance requirements and let things get out of hand then complain that the MFG made junk.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV Warranties
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS