RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: How to run fridge/freezer off extra battery

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to run fridge/freezer off extra battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mauisanna

Maui

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aloha! I don’t have an RV but I do have a 1972 VW bus converted to be a coffee bus and have a question. My first thought was an RV forum because it is similar to how RVs operate!
I would like to be able to run my fridge and freezer off of an extra battery while in transit and parked (but not necessarily operating).
Right now I run the fridge and freezer off of a 2000w generator while operating (I park in one spot only, and the bus plugs directly into generator and everything is powered by an inverter ). I also power an electric kettle and coffee grinder with the generator. When I’m not operating (in transit) the fridge and freezer remain unpowered. When the bus is parked at my house it is plugged in (power from the house plugs directly into the exterior of the bus (1972 VW) and everything is powered through the inverter).
What I would like to be able to do is charge an extra battery while it is plugged in to the house so that it is possible to have the fridge and freezer running (off the extra battery) while I am parked/in transit for a little while. My husband could do it if I can get step by step instructions on what to do! Thank you so much for your help!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need a total and complete list of refrigerator and freezer brand names and model numbers. Total hours of operation daily. Number of hours driven. It is a complex formula that can only be done by the numbers

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 02:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I understand your question correctly, you have three modes, parked, transit and operation.
Parked is at your house and you have house power available.
Transit is when you do not have power available.
Operation is when you are powered with the generator.

You require powering only the fridge and freezer with the battery during transit. You are not operating the kettle or blender with battery power. You can recharge the battery during Parked and Operation.

How many hours a day are you in Transit mode?
How many hours a day are you in Operation mode?

* This post was last edited 03/08/18 03:16am by 2112 *   View edit history

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Need a total and complete list of refrigerator and freezer brand names and model numbers.

If you do NOT start the discussion with this information it likely will just be a waste of time.....and maybe money too.

Why ? Because the way you THINK things work may not be how it works at all.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your engine alternator will be the only thing available to charge your batteries while driving unless you consider adding some solar power to the roof as well.
A couple of good 6V golf cart batteries will likely keep your fridge and freezer going for 1/2 day if the doors are never opened and the battery if fully charged. The alternator will add some time to this formula and solar could make it pretty much unlimited depending upon the setup. Opening the doors puts a whole different twist to the story so what you have and how you plan to use it will make all of the difference in the World!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given that you are in Maui, solar would be a good option

You will have to do some calculations to figure out how much battery and solar you need.

THIS IS A GREAT SITE to figure out your solar needs and explains it very well. I highly recommend you do your reading on this page and the linked pages, for some good education on how to use and manage a 12V system.

You want to avoid repeatedly depleting the battery bank below about 50%--that is death to deep cycle batteries. They also need to be totally recharged often, don't keep running them at about 80%.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't follow if the generator or an inverter is powering these items? Or is this an inverter/generator like a Honda 2000?

Otherwise you need 2 to 4 batteries to really run a 2000 watt inverter. You also need a method to keep the battery charged. And you will need a transfer switch to integrate into the electric system... or you will be swapping plugs.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe what your calling an inverter in a converter.
A converter changes 120 volts AC to 12 voltes DC.
An inverter changes 12 volt DC to 120 volts AC.

mauisanna

Maui

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everybody!
sorry i couldn't reply sooner, was having trouble posting in forum from my phone.
I'm in transit for 40 min a day (20 min each way), not very long. I would like to figure out how to charge the extra battery while parked at my house (16 hours). i only operate (generate) for 4 hours in the morning. I'm looking to be able to run the fridge/freezer for five hours while parked at my other job, maybe 2 days out of the week. (the fridge/freezer would not be opening at all during that time). The generator is a 2000 watt generator (mostly to run hot water kettle) not sure any of the info for the inverter as it was installed by the previous owner. I just know that if it is off then nothing electrical in the bus works when the bus is plugged in!

So to recap, would like to charge extra battery while plugged in at my house, and probably need a switch to be able to run off of that battery while i'm at my 2nd job. Thank you again!!!

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need to know how much power your fridge/freezer consumes. There should be a data plate on it somewhere that states 120V xxA or xxW. What are the xx's? You could buy a Kill-A-Watt meter from Home Depot and measure it. They cost about $20 here on the mainland.

Is this a single fridge/freezer unit or a separate fridge and a freezer?

You might be able to do this with 2 6V AGM batteries and a charger but we won't know until we know how much it/they consume.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to run fridge/freezer off extra battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS