RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Bolts needed for WDH?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Bolts needed for WDH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I've had a bracket move is if the chain is taken up too short. If your hitch is set up properly you shouldn't have a problem.

As others have said, your choice.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

crazyro

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your answers. I think I'll leave it alone. It's worked well for previous owner...

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not say what your loaded tongue weight is or the brand of WD hitch.

If the camper is the one shown in your profile picture, that is a smaller camper. I would not expect a extra heavy loaded tongue weight. Maybe 800 to 1,000#? Don't know.

Larger campers which have high tongue weights and use a Reese dual cam system need to bolt on the snap up brackets. The weight limit on this problem shows up at around 1,000 - 1,200# loaded tongue weight. If snap is not bolted on, the snap up bracket can and has sprung open when the camper makes a turn. Bolting has prevented the problem on this setup. I have a 1,600# loaded TW with a DC and mine are bolted on and have not bent since 2003.

This bending problem seems to be more aggravated with the Reese DC system and TW's at or above 1,200#. The problem is not reported as much/if any on Reese WD hitches that do not have the DC. It "may be" that the cam ends of the WD bars exerts very high spring bar loads in a turn which overloads the snap up bracket.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

crazyro

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:

You did not say what your loaded tongue weight is or the brand of WD hitch.

If the camper is the one shown in your profile picture, that is a smaller camper. I would not expect a extra heavy loaded tongue weight. Maybe 800 to 1,000#? Don't know.

Larger campers which have high tongue weights and use a Reese dual cam system need to bolt on the snap up brackets. The weight limit on this problem shows up at around 1,000 - 1,200# loaded tongue weight. If snap is not bolted on, the snap up bracket can and has sprung open when the camper makes a turn. Bolting has prevented the problem on this setup. I have a 1,600# loaded TW with a DC and mine are bolted on and have not bent since 2003.

This bending problem seems to be more aggravated with the Reese DC system and TW's at or above 1,200#. The problem is not reported as much/if any on Reese WD hitches that do not have the DC. It "may be" that the cam ends of the WD bars exerts very high spring bar loads in a turn which overloads the snap up bracket.

Hope this helps

John

Thank you John for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I actually had a Reese dual cam setup with the camper pictured (overkill) and that was bolted on. We have since purchased a Starcraft Antigua (32'). I can't recall the brand of the WDH that's on but the weight difference between our old camper and the new one is not huge. I'll have to take it to the scales and figure out the tongue weight. I may eventually bolt it on just to be safe. Our maiden camping voyage will happen next weekend (pretty close county park) and I'll see how things are. Thank you again.

By the way, here's a quick snap of the rig the night we picked her up:

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Bolts needed for WDH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS