|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water Filling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some folk are very fussy about their water, mine comes from a 130 foot well in northern Indiana. It is hard and a bit rusty; which must be the way we like it because everybody's well is the same no matter how deep. [emoticon][emoticon]

I try to sanitize my TT tank when I fill up for the spring. We keep about 20 gallons of water in our fresh tank for those occasions when we camp and the camp water is nasty tasting or we pick a campgrounds like our State Parks which are usually electricity only.

We dump what is left in the tank when we return and refill before the next trip. We never had an issue but then I still drink from the garden hose, like I did when I was a kid.

If you are one of those folks who is sensitive to the water they drink, they do make numerous filter to help with that.

Safe Travels

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my tank from the outside faucet using a regular garden hose, and that's the water I use for everything. I very rarely camp where there are hookups of any kind.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

Fill up system with air...uhmmm

Dangerous...

fill up how much? Does OP have regulator on compressor?

OP stated he winterized with compressed air so I'm assuming he has a compressor and every 120v compressor I have seen has a regulator.

PEX has a 150 PSI rating and most homeowner compressors won't even go to 150 PSI. Pressurize the system with 30 PSI until the compressor stops (assuming there is no leak)...it's no different than pressurizing the hose attached to the compressor. I'm not sure how the factory tests each trailer's plumbing system before it leaves the plant but I'm sure they don't have the time to fill every trailer with water.

Air pressure method

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (sold)
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

US Army veteran

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the outside faucet has the same water as the kitchen sink faucet, what is the problem using it?

Now if you are worried about contamination, just check out the liquid in the bottom of the air compressor tank that was used to blow out the system. [emoticon]

oyarsa

Central Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't sure at the time that the outside faucet was the same supply as the kitchen, or if it was irrigation water. But logically, it must be since it is still turned on.

And yes, I do have an air compressor with a pressure regulator. However, if I remember, the connection of the compressor at the trailer itself had a little leaking going on. I can probably get that plugged tightened up and try out the air before the water. I'm sure I winterized just fine, but it would be peace of mind before the trip...

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, use the garden hose. You have already figured out that it is not from your irrigation system. It is always a good idea to disinfect the system each year. Put some water in your tank, add some bleach, usually less than a cup, and fill it all the way. Go inside and turn on the pump. Run each faucet until you can smell the bleach. Leave everything alone for a few hours and then drain and flush the system.

If you are hypersensitive you can get a water filter and run your house water through that as you fill the tank. If you are hyper-hyper-hyper sensitive then carry all your water with you. Go buy water in a plastic jug and tote it around. Most of this water that is sold comes directly out of a city tap somewhere but somehow it is better. I do understand that some people have "bad" water at home so this kind of system might make sense.

I have been doing this for over 25 years and have yet to have anyone in my family get sick when we camp. And, horrors of all horrors, I have even gone out in the spring without sanitizing my tanks! I also drink directly from the garden hose, rode my bicycle without a helmet and rode thousands of miles in the backseat without a seatbelt.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oyarsa wrote:

I wasn't sure at the time that the outside faucet was the same supply as the kitchen, or if it was irrigation water. But logically, it must be since it is still turned on.

And yes, I do have an air compressor with a pressure regulator. However, if I remember, the connection of the compressor at the trailer itself had a little leaking going on. I can probably get that plugged tightened up and try out the air before the water. I'm sure I winterized just fine, but it would be peace of mind before the trip...

I am not from you area. But, what is the difference between "irrigation" water and the rest of your water ?? There may be a difference that is why I am asking !!

It's also possible that is it all the same water.

oyarsa

Central Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be honest, I don't know a ton about it. I believe it is supplied by irrigation canals, but in any case it is cheaper and intended for lawn care and such. As such, it's pretty dirty. My last house, it was constantly clogging my sprinklers. The city turns on and off the supply at certain times each year.

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same set up at my house. Irrigation water for the yard, and my own well water for the house. The irrigation water comes through a completely different system than my domestic water does. The faucets attached to the house are on the domestic system. The irrigation water comes through a stanchion at the end of my property.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/18 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used both compressed air and anti-freeze.

I prefer the antifreeze because I am never sure I got all the water from the low spots in the plumbing or the nocks and crannies of the valves.

I did manage to blow out the city water check valve one time when using the air compressor but many folks have never had that problem.

Safe travels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water Filling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS