|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How to for a beginner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
hbob281957

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Folks, I'm here in the beginners forum to ask questions, first my questions pertain to 1996 Tiffin Allegro Bus 31 it's older but it's what we can afford, with my back round I should be able to tackle any problems, With a little Help, any way this coach didn't come with any manuals what so ever, and I contacted Tiffin in Alabama they sent me a PDF, the pages were sideways and real hard to read but I have it on file, it covered the chassis mainly, my question has to do with leveling systeem, when I went to the Tiffin site they had a manual for a 2007 bus, it say's turn the engine off, place ignition switch in ACC position turn on leveling system and manually adjust jacks {on a manual adjusting unit} until unit is level, we don't have a slide to worry about, will this work for a 1996 Allegro Bus?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you searched online for the product specific manual? Typically manuals from the factory are useless unless they have included the individual component manuals.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

hbob281957

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newby here, I pulled the unit into our driveway, it's all gravel, I turned the engine off, put on E brake {auto Brake is ON}, push the button for the leveling system and a red light comes on saying not in park/brake and the system will not work, it did work for a second or two then everything stopped and from what it appears jacks are up, any thoughts please.

hbob281957

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donn128 thanks for responding, not yet, it's been cold and I haven't recorded all the serial and model numbers yet, soon I'll do that, how ever when reading the 2007 manual it covers the basic about the leveling system, hopefully with troubleshooting, as an old maintenance tech I always started with a manual.

hbob281957

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple me, checked and found there is a switch at the e brake peddle, it was making poor contact, after rotating the switch and pushing it several times, the leveling worked like a charm, but there's alot to learn so I'll keep posting

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you lucked out that the instructions for the 2007 worked on your 1996, that is rare. You need to go through your coach, write down the brand, model #, and serial # of each and every appliance and component you can find/get to (A/C, generator, water pump, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, leveling system, TV, stereo, converter/charger, inverter, solar, transfer switch...), as well as the chassis make/model/VIN AND the house model/serial #, and then go online and search for manuals for each and every one. On most items, not only can you acquire owner/operator manuals, but service/parts/troubleshooting manuals as well. Put them all on a USB flash drive, and print the ones you need as you need them.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weather report says 59 in Kansas City tomorrow so you’ll be able to check. How could a 2007 manual be helpful for a 1996 motorhome...what...so...ever...back..round?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remembered your earlier post saying your moving into the RV soon.
Since your a self proclaimed newbie an idea may be for you to join/attend Escapees for one of their RV boot camps. They are having one in Sedalia Mo in May.
www.escapees.com
or call them at 888 757 2582.
Happy motorin

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you find the make and models of the various appliances and systems in your rig, you might want to check Bryant RV documents for some of the manuals. Chris is a member of our forums and very generously allows people to download the many manuals he has put online.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicle was 2016 Ram 2500 CTD

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First a motor home is a combination vehile. One part is a TRUCK and if you find out what chassis you have with the exception of the jacks, you need to find the manual for that model TRUCK or one just like it.. IE: A ford truck with the same engine and transmission if it's a ford. or Chevy for GM product lines (workhorse) or the like. You will be 99% good with that (Workhorse used a proprietary fuel filter.

In some cases you can further break down teh chassis to Engine, (GM in my case) Transmission (Allison) Drive Train (Dana) and rear axle (Also Dana, actually their other name in both cases).

And the house
Now I think you likely know how to tend the inside walls of the house (Same as Sticks and Bricks) and the outside (Same as your car) but then we have "Stuff"
Stuff includes Doors, Miroors (outside) Rear View Camera, Fridge, Water heater, Water pump, HEVAC systems. and so on. Tiffen did not make them. they bought them.

SO you go on line and google: Make, Model, Manual (Make and model are repalced with the make and model IE: Dometic 1122x13x (made up model)
In some cases (my Dometic Microwave) you need the real maker (mine is a Unlucky Goldstar (Well Really Lucky Goldstar (LG) but I've never been lucky enough to have a goldstar product that worked as advertised, Though mine does now,, I had to do some re-engineering on it, replace one part with a GE part and so on).

Then you will have all the manuals

STUFF INCLUDES THE JACKS.

To your question.. Mine say to have engine RUNNING (Try your jacks that way) as the Alternator helps the chassis battery to jack 'er up.

But other than that I suspect the answer to your question is YES.
Transmission in PARK
Parking brake ENGAGED
on mine Engine Running for power
And down they go.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How to for a beginner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS