|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Newbie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jimbo409

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking of buying a 1999 bounder but the one I’m looking at has dual axles. What is the reason for the dual axles and how many tires will I need. I assume there would be 10 tires am I right 8 in back 2 in front.also this rv needs new tires what will this cost and where can you buy these. The rv is only 12 m so I don’t mind putting a little money into it if the rest is nice. I am not sure I need a 36 s it is just the wife and I. Also I need to check to see it it has the ford or Chevy 454 engine which one is better. Looking forward to trying this raving deal just retired and looking for a new adventure jimbo

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The extra axle is called a Tag, with only 2 tires. I guess the chassis builder needed the extra tag axle for the weight.
I have a 36 ft. 94 Bounder on an OshKosh chassis with a rear diesel that only has a single rear axle.
The cost of 6 tires will vary and would be available at any good tire shop but expect to pay a minimum of $2000
Good Luck

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is only usually only 6 tires in back on a tag. 4 on the main and 2 on the tag. The tag will allow you to carry more. My rig with the tag is good for 1500 lb tongue weight and 15k pulling capacity.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS Icom 7610 and Icom 7100
Steve and Joy
2012 Winnebago Tour 42JD . . . 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Toad
Cooper ... The Doodle,
Baby and Kissie the new Chihuahuas and Lucy the New Biewere Yorkie

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first Class A motorhome was a 1999 Bounder 34V I purchased new. A very nice unit. Mine did not have the tag axle. It had a Ford Chassis. We took this unit around quite a few Western states and also throughout the midwest and Southeastern states. No material problems in the years we owned it and lots of family travel memories tucked away.

The only real issue I had was constant rodent intrusion. I kept plugging up all the open spaces underneath that let them enter the unit. I found most of them by turning on all of the basement storage lights, then going underneath at night and plugging all the places that light was shining through. Apparently Fleetwood did not believe in using grommets or sealant around places where wire cables or gas lines, etc entered the unit. After getting all of them sealed up I was still getting the occasional mouse inside and finally found where the rubber seal around the firewall was soft enough they were literally pushing their way right through it. I fixed that and never had another one inside.

Usually you can tell the Ford Chassis vs the Chevy Chassis of that day at a glance because the Chevy Chassis had a narrower width...the front tires are substantially inside of the fender wells. It wasn't until the Chevy chassis was redesigned by Workhorse that the stance was widened.

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would really check out the tag system. Finding parts for it maybe a issue. We know a couple here were we live and he gave up trying to find parts for the tag system. We have a 99 that is right at 38 and does not have a tag on a ford chassis. Good Luck

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 19 year old MH where as you wish to put only a little amount of money and are unsure if it’s built on a Ford or Chevy chassis. Ah, I don’t know.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 03:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have a 97 Southwind which is the same as the bounder. I had a tag axel and really liked it, until tire purchase time. The tag will give you more carring weight plus help alot on holding the road. Remember to check the shocks on the tag as well they are most likely gone. As for the 454 to me it was a good engine but if you do some reading there was alot of problem with the manifold cracking due to heat.
good luck enjoy

Craig
ACE 29.3 Class A

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tag axle not only supports additional weight and gives the RV better carrying and towing capacity, it also improves ride and handling. The downside is that if you go through a toll booth towing a car you will be a five axle vehicle and will be charged the same as a tractor-trailer. Ouch. The tag only adds 2 extra tires so if you have to spend an extra $1000 every 7 years for tires that's really not a big deal. You will like having a tag axle for all the good things it provides.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jimbo409

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if I understand there are 6 tires on the back 2 axles and 2 tires in the front is that correct

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimbo409 wrote:

So if I understand there are 6 tires on the back 2 axles and 2 tires in the front is that correct

Yes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Newbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS