|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TV mount in cabinent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gmg

Houston, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2005 Everest fifth wheel with the old style square tv inside a cabinent. I would like to replace the old tv with a new flat screen. As you know the new TVs are wider than they are tall. So what I would like to do is mount one on some kind of device that allows it be outside the cabinent when in use but rotate at an angle and slide or be movable fully inside the cabinent when traveling. Note the living area slide-out only clears the cabinent front by about 2 inches so the tv hast to be moved inside the cabinent when traveling. I’m looking for ideas for mounting. The wall panels are very thin and I am concerned about them being able to support weight of a normal tv mount bracket. Also, the shower is located directly to to back of the tv compartment.

2013 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Crewcab; Pullrite Superglide Hitch; 05 Everest 294L 5th Wheel.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I removed my old CRT, I modified the inside of the TV cabinet so that I couls use a swivel TV mount. Works like a charm. Velcro on the back of the TV holds it in place while traveling. Otherwise, the TV comes out a few inches and can swivel left-right-up-down.

Plus, there's plenty of space in those old cabinets -- I use it to store my AV receiver.

It's a 32-inch Samsung:

[image]

[image]

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

gmg

Houston, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Techwriter. Your setup is a little different than mine but it gives me some ideas. It looks like you bolted a vertical 2 x4 to attach the bracket to. My paneled wall is only about 1/8th of an inch thick so I would need to find a stud or something solid to bolt to. Also, I have to fold the whole thing inside the cabinent for travel.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old style square TV. It still works? lol. “New” TVs are wider...thank goodness!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a mount in our trailer. I didn't like the wall mount idea, but I had decent support top and bottom with good MDF, so I made two flanges out of wood, and mounted a piece of 3/4" iron pipe between them vertically. I welded a plate about half way up the pipe and mounted an articulating mount onto the pipe, and the tv onto the folding mount. everything pivots and I can now unfold my 26 1/2" Sony out of the 26" cabinet, and move it out far enough to be seen from every seat in the trailer. Worked out very well.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bit off subject but... When I replaced the RCA tube tv in our '07 Endeavor, I built a cabinet door to cover the opening and mounted the flat screen on the door. Then, I could open the door, swing the tv out of the way with the door and have extra storage space behind. Just a thought...

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2013 Keystone Outback 250RS
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
2 Arctic Cats
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

gmg

Houston, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain, what kind of hinges did you use? Do you have any concerns about the weight of the tv while traveling?

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the old TV in my 2007 Montana. I think in a location something like yours as my slide also comes in in front of the TV. But I have a little more than 2" clearance.

I made a box insert to go into the cabinet opening using an articulating mount for the TV. New TV is 32" vs the old 27". And the TV mounts outside the cabinet as it is larger than the opening. It is less than 2" thick, but may still be too much for yours. But you might come up with a way to install the articulating mount on an angled panel inside the cabinet and have the TV slip sideways into the cabinet when not viewing.

[image]

Cabinet insert I made. (got a little carried away)

[image]

If the articulating mount was on a angled back panel, it might let you slip a smaller TV inside the cabinet for travel.

[image]

[image]

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmg wrote:

I have to fold the whole thing inside the cabinent for travel.

Why?

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 03:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 32" flat screen and mounting bracket weighs less than 10 lbs. I'd suggest to make a plywood panel to attach the screen's mounting bracket. Depending on the dimensions of your cabinet, an articulating mount may be enough to get the screen inside the cabinet. If not, you may have to hinge or build a slide so the screen slides back into the cabinet.

FWIW, I have a 32" screen that is mounted to a 5/8" plywood piece, using an articulating mount. The plywood is screwed and glued to the Luan paneling and into three studs. I don't do anything except folding the mount close to the wall before traveling. The screen barely moves.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TV mount in cabinent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS