|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Will My Tow Vehicle Tow My Fifth Wheel Safely

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
HD_Ultra Classic

Raleigh

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at towing a 5er (toy hauler) whose unloaded vehicle weight(UVW) data tag reads 10,258 LBS. According to my TV manual and data plate information, my max tow weight is 13,700. My TV's GVWR is 10,000 PDS. My GCWR (combined) is 25,300. The tow vehicle (on scale) with trailer hooked up, but not on scale, can have a weight of no more than 14,500. Vertical Tow Weight Rating (VTWR) is 3,425. The 3,425 is 25% of the max tow weight of 13,700 . I would not be loading out the trailer with anymore than 13,700 PDS. I haven't bought the toy hauler as of yet. I would like to get the forums advice to make sure that I've done my homework right before i actually make the purchase. The toy is a HD Ultra Classic motorcycle which weighs 900+. About 500-1000 pounds of cargo weight will also go in the trailer. There are two propane bottles and 2 batteries (in parallel.) It has a 100 gallon fresh water tank (800 LBS) for boon-docking. It has a 36 gal fuel tank for a generator, which the trailer is prepped for, but don't have. I won't be dragging the water weight around except for when i'm boon-docking on public land or without water sources. The details of my truck, hitch and future trailer are in my signature block below. If I buy the trailer based on the feedback which I get from this site I will be using the B&W hitch (found on their web site) chart/worksheet for determining my tow vehicle and trailer's actual weight using a public scale. B&W'sHitches web site has a great chart for all types of tow vehicles (2010 and up) and for all types of trailers. Thanks for helping out.
My feeling is that I will be pushing the limits of my tow vehicle. I'm looking for advice from experienced RVers to help make my decision to buy.
Installed B&W RVK3700 Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Future Towing: 2018 forest River-Vengeance Super Sport 5er, Rogue Platinum Package Toy Hauler 38'L, Dry weight 10,258 LBS.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figure 20% of the trailers loaded ready to travel weight as pin weight. More is the storage bas is not loaded.
To that you need to add the hitch weight. Add to that your trucks scaled loaded ready to travel weight. Are you over or under the trucks GVWR and RAWR?
IMHO you simply do not have enough truck to tow your auggested load.
Your 2500 likely will only have around 2000 pounds of available payload.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 4K CCC, you are right to feel you are pushing the truck to the limit. You are likely going to add at least 3K to the dry wt, with full water and fuel on board, plus bike, and normal other stuff. You will be close to truck RAWR. This includes your springs, brakes, and tires. You will likely need air bags to level the truck. Only you can decide, everyone has their own comfort zone. Until you are loaded, and at the scales, it is just guessing. Kind of hard to buy it, load it, weigh it, and take it back, if it's too much.

Jerry

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I would not be loading out the trailer with anymore than 13,700 PDS.“

Want to bet? “Honey just one more cast iron fry pan.” “Daddy, my friend’s 35 pound bike?” “Gee, just these rocks for our garden?” “How about the old BBQ...and propane tank?” “Need more wood for the campfire?”

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good grief guys. You'll have the OP thinking he needs a semi!
A brand new Duramax will tow, haul and stop a 13-14k fiver just fine and with authority.
This exact topic comes up regularly. Look past the yellow sticker and look at how the truck is built compared to the next step up, a 3500.......it's the same except for softer rear springs.
Unless you got a dually, a 3500 would be virtually 0 upgrade.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Big1

Westcoast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/18 12:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I know what you mean Grit dog, I tow my fiver and mines is loaded 11,500 to 12,000 no problem but op have to decide that.

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins
2017 Dutchmen Denali 307RL

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 02:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the:

GVWR of the trailer?
What is the Pin Weight of the trailer fully loaded?
What is the 5th wheel tow rating (different from trailer tow rating)?
How much does the hitch and other gear (including people) weigh in the truck?

I suspect you are right near the rated limits but you haven't given us enough info to know. By the limits, I would guess 50/50 if you are within the limits.

Safety is a different question and ratings are only a starting point.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have come on Here asking before buying your truck. You would have been advised to spend the extra $600 and get a 3500 srw which is identical to what you have with the addition of a rear overload spring. So now it's up to you.... you can get the trailer you want which might slightly overload your rear suspension and put you over on your gvwr or look for a smaller trailer. You can always add airbags if the trailer sinks the rear springs down further than you like. The gvwr number (which is the one you might be over on) is not a legal limit anywhere except possible in very rare cases in BC Canada. If I had a 2500 series truck I wouldn't ask people on this forum how to use it.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So In other words: Can your truck handle the trailer you're looking at? Yes.... It might need airbags. Will you be legal? Yes. Except maybe in BC Canada if you happen to get pulled over by some miserable cop who thinks your headlights are pointing to the moon. The way the BC law reads he can have your truck weighed and gauge whether you are overloaded by comparing the sum of your trucks axles to your truck's gvwr.... Likely never happen.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

This exact topic comes up regularly. Look past the yellow sticker and look at how the truck is built compared to the next step up, a 3500.......it's the same except for softer rear springs.

I agree with you Grit dog. The RAWR, which includes springs, is why I mentioned the likely need of bags, to improve capability to 3500 level. Look at tires/wheels also, but with diesel, should be same as 3500.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Will My Tow Vehicle Tow My Fifth Wheel Safely
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS