|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Aluminum body damage video

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here as a link to YouTube where an F250 aluminum body was in a wreck. Pretty interesting. It also stated that GM will be going to aluminum in 2019.
Big Truck Big RV

2017 Highland Ridge Ultra Lite UT2704bh.Just right ++
Ford F-150 Ecoboost V6. Very happy.
Honda Ruckus scooter - Great fun.
Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter - Greater fun.
Champion 3100 Inverter Generator - (huge grin)!

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I saw recently GM was going to carbon fiber, for the beds anyways. The article was talking about when they dropped bricks into the bed they had to chain them together because they were bouncing out and almost hitting the observers.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Sheetmetal" includes any kind of metal...aluminum too... [emoticon]

Military grade is similar in misconception...6061T is used by the military and can be marketed when used in non-military applications as "military grade" aluminum...pure marketing to those not in the know (not educated on the matter)

As said in the initial days of Fords announcement...aluminum is a GREAT material in the proper application, but...IMHO...not for a pickups bed

Why Ford made (according to this video) made the bed thicker than steel 'sheetmetal'... [emoticon]

Tensile strength and hardness/toughness for this application is not up to that task

Anyone have a aluminum shovel used for dirt/gravel/etc...other than one made for snow/horse poop/etc ?

Or a chisel, center punch, hacksaw blade, pocket knife blade, etc ? There is a reason for that...

Carbon fiber is nothing more than fiberglass (think window glass spun into fine fibers), but with a higher tensile strength fiber. The binder resins are better than the stuff in fiberglass, but still a resin Bill thanks for bringing that into this discussion...and wonder if folks believe every word... [emoticon]

Ditto any of the other materials that are *WONDERFUL* for another application, but IMHO, not a good idea for a working pickup bed

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe we should go back to wood PU bed floors!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 313K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carbon fibre is rayon cooked in a de oxygenated oven (from memory) not fibreglas which is pulled /spun glass ,it can either be E glass -think glass fibre insulation or S glass (structural) which has the properties of carbon but heavier .

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds and looks like it did a fine job and I think it's a good application for it.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Fords have the best crash performance in the industry and having thicker aluminum panels is much better than very very thin steal panels that have been the trend the last few decades in order to reduce weight.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality is they usually replace whole panels if there is any significant damage (steel or aluminum), so not a big deal from a repair point of view.

If someone dumps a palette of bricks from 5' up into my steel truck bed, I'm going to be ticked off. 99% will never see that kind of use. Most construction guys if they use the truck bed hard will put a bed liner/mat or a piece of plywood to take the brunt of the hard abuse.

On the other hand, try to find a 8yr old truck in the midwest where the wheel wells aren't rusted out. Aluminum will eliminate this issue.

PS: Fiberglass in common usage reference GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic). Carbon Fiber is a specialty product used to replace the glass fibers for more strength and in common usage is often still refereed to as Fiberglass. Honestly, it's surprising they don't use more GRP. Love em or hate em, look at the Pontiac Fiero or the Corvette. 30-40yrs old and the bodies still are perfect if they haven't gotten into a crash.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Maybe we should go back to wood PU bed floors!

I threw a sheet of osb in the back of my truck when I got it. I like the wood as much aa a spray in liner

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum good or not, I wouldn’t want that truck back.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Aluminum body damage video
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS