RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: What tablet to by?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > What tablet to by?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/14/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I need a new tablet. I have a older Motorola Zoom MZ505 family edition and the app I need is "not compatable". [emoticon] I need to run dropbox and open an excel file on it daily. I'd also like to run Waze on it while driving. If I could figure out how to use it as a second monitor using a USB it could also work. It's running Android 3.1 now. Anybody got any "Why don't you..." advice?

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/14/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is going to start an argument but what the h...
Get an iPad. I'm on my second one, upgraded from the original. It does everything you asked and more. I have the cellular model for the built in GPS. In the eight years I've used it I never, ever had a problem.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/14/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

This is going to start an argument but what the h...
Get an iPad. I'm on my second one, upgraded from the original. It does everything you asked and more. I have the cellular model for the built in GPS. In the eight years I've used it I never, ever had a problem.


I second that.


Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier


kerrlakeRoo

Va

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/14/18 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your older Motorola is similar to the RCA models Walmart sells now. We have a Viking 10.1" with keyboard that has been great for nearly 3 years that we fill with movies and stuff for travel. Cost currently is about $90 with a keyboard, and 32 Gig of memory. Uses Android 5.0 (lollipop) or the have the same ones with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) for around $120.
These are both google chrome/android systems, but newer than your 3.0, you would have to verify that they work with the apps you want to use.

TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/14/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Your older Motorola is similar to the RCA models Walmart sells now. We have a Viking 10.1" with keyboard that has been great for nearly 3 years that we fill with movies and stuff for travel. Cost currently is about $90 with a keyboard, and 32 Gig of memory. Uses Android 5.0 (lollipop) or the have the same ones with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) for around $120.
These are both google chrome/android systems, but newer than your 3.0, you would have to verify that they work with the apps you want to use.


That's where I'm lost on what to buy. If you talk windows 7,8,10 or XP, I can follow the conversation, but when it comes to all these "food items", mashmallows, suckers, frozen treats, etc., I'm an idiot. As for the apple stuff, I've never used any of it. I'd love to avoid any learning curve at all. I have to have two monitors. I have that now but one is in the bedroom and the other is in the livingroom. I need a 2nd in the livingroom to do bookwork on.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/14/2007

View Profile



Posted: 03/14/18 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Info from Google Play app store: Dropbox for Android tablet requires Android 4.1 and up. You have Android 3.1. Waze for Android tablet says varies with device.

To run Dropbox, you need to either upgrade the software on the tablet you have now from 3.1 to something higher or get a new Android tablet which already has 4.1 or higher. I don't know about Waze; perhaps someone else can chime in.

Disclaimer: I am not an Android expert. I just looked up the info on Google Play.


2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed


jcpainter

Crossville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 09/06/2009

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/14/18 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TNGW1500SE wrote:

I have to have two monitors. I have that now but one is in the bedroom and the other is in the livingroom. I need a 2nd in the livingroom to do bookwork on.


Could you elaborate on using a tablet with "two monitors"? Do you mean simultaneously?

guidry

Texas Cajun

Senior Member

Joined: 04/25/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/14/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides 3X a couple of others, I will say that if you are one who tows your heavy 5th wheel with a light half ton truck then anything might work because the salesman said so. Or, you could do it right and get the right tool for the job without having to "make it work". Get an Ipad. They just work without all the hassles. I've had both kinds and Apple products are the best.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/14/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Info from Google Play app store: Dropbox for Android tablet requires Android 4.1 and up. You have Android 3.1. Waze for Android tablet says varies with device.

To run Dropbox, you need to either upgrade the so4.1.
Viking ftware on the tablet you have now from 3.1 to something higher or get a new Android tablet which already has 4.1 or higher. I don't know about Waze; perhaps someone else can chime in.

Disclaimer: I am not an Android expert. I just looked up the info on Google Play.


And both models I mentioned are newer than 4.1
Walmart website , currently available, just checked prices,,,,,
RCA Viking Pro, 10'1" screen, Android 5.0 system current price $69.98
or
RCA Galileo Pro, 11.5" screen, AQndroid 6.0 current price $79.98

Both have wi-fi operation, built in GPS
2 monitors? I don't know if this is what you want but the RCA units I listed have a mini hdmi port which we use to connect a 37" flatscreen TV for use. It displays the movie on both the tablet screen and the TV simultaneously.

Nothing wrong with the Apple products, but these do what I have needed, and do it for a small fraction of the price. Get one, try for a day, and if you dont like it take it back. They wont hassel you as long as you box it back up, just tell them it wont run the program you wanted it for.

* This post was last edited 03/14/18 05:50pm by kerrlakeRoo *   View edit history

CapnCampn

Idaho

Full Member

Joined: 02/12/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/14/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TNGW1500SE wrote:

That's where I'm lost on what to buy. If you talk windows 7,8,10 or XP, I can follow the conversation, but when it comes to all these "food items", mashmallows, suckers, frozen treats, etc., ...


The Android OS versions are in alphabetical order, so Marshmallow is newer than Lollipop, before that was Kit-Kat, etc.

I think the newest is Oreo (V8.0, 8.1), the next one will start with "P".

CC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > What tablet to by?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS