|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> CUTTING A HOLE IN TT DOOR? {{{{{UPDATES}}}}}}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/18 01:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hey, have a TT that has no window in the door just a peep hole. want to install a window and have to cut out a hole in the door for the window. i did get a used slim shade window w/ shade by AP products. any tips or do's and don't from anyone that did this before, before i start this project??? really hate to screw the door up.....i was thinking of using a jig saw with a metal blade to make the cut unless better ideas. thanks.

* This post was edited 04/04/18 08:08pm by joelyn *

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/18 02:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd really be concerned about the structural integrity of the door if you were to cut a hole in it. Doors with windows generally have a frame under the skin with a reinforced "hole" the window sets in and the window's perimeter screws to. You may find nothing but aluminum skin and foam to fasten the window frame to. That said, you could probably insert wood blocking (I'd use oak, old pallets are good sources of strong but ugly oak) between the inner and outer skin. Dig out any foam in the way and apply contact cement (NOT the water based junk) liberally and slide the wood in while the glue is still wet. Make sure the recess for the wood is big enough and don't follow the usual procedure of applying the cement to both surfaces, letting it set up, then trying to slide it in. It will just stop at first touch. This should let you securely mount the window in the door without compromising the strength too much.

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

masking tape where you want to put the window , just makes it easier to make lines on, double and triple check the opening matches the window . I find zip disks on the grinder are great for cutting thin metal, and i agree with the other post about using hard wood from skids, had to use some for floor bracing in out rv..

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/18 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you asked the manufacturer? does the mfr. still exist? I wouldn't think it would be "dangerous" to modify the door on a TT.
bumpy

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

77rollalong wrote:

masking tape where you want to put the window , just makes it easier to make lines on, double and triple check the opening matches the window . I find zip disks on the grinder are great for cutting thin metal, and i agree with the other post about using hard wood from skids, had to use some for floor bracing in out rv..

What is a 'zip disk', I doubt that you mean the old floppy disk replacements.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/18 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zip Disc is a cutting wheel for an angle grinder. Very thin so it cuts on the edge. I also have some that fit a die grinder.
They aren't much good for grinding things flat because they shatter really nicely! but are great for cutting holes.

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/18 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

..i was thinking of using a jig saw with a metal blade to make the cut unless better ideas.

First tape the area you want to cut through with masking tape, on both sides of the door, and use a magic marker to draw cut lines on the tape. Even if the window frame itself is squared you always want the corners to be rounded to prevent later tearing of the material at the corners. To accomplish this use a drill bit to create a hole at each corner, sufficient in size that you can fit a jig saw blade through the hole(s). Before cutting secure a piece of wood to the door with clamps and / or Gorilla tape to serve as a guide for the jig saw ... don't do this and your cuts will be all over the map & you'll be looking for a new door. [emoticon] Personally, I wouldn't use anything BUT a guided jig saw as I find it just too difficult to control a rotary cutter of any description and end up with a perfectly straight cut.

TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tape on the bottom of the saw also helps prevent scratches.

If I wanted a wondow, I'd cut it. At least you know there's no wiring or plumbing in the way. LOL.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a stud sensor and practice with it to see if you can determine where studs inside the existing window might be.

Another way of seeing whats "inside" is to get up early on a dewy morning and check the patterns on the side.

Look at the door carefully and try to determine how it might come apart. You will need to put in a framework to support your new window, and you don't want it to leak.

Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for asking. [emoticon] I wouldn't mind installing the same window in our rear door.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> CUTTING A HOLE IN TT DOOR? {{{{{UPDATES}}}}}}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.