RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Nightmare Reducing Battery Charging Voltage Corrector

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Nightmare Reducing Battery Charging Voltage Corrector

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeeco QUERY AMAZON UNDER SEARCH
Yeeco DC DC 10-60V to 13-97V Boost Voltage Regulator Power Converter 1500W 22A Volt Transformer Power Supply Module Board with Adjustable Potentiometer & Heatsink Fan

[image]

• 22 amps max current
  • Only the very BIGGEST truck to trailer cable will pass more current than that
  • Set the charger at the voltage YOU dial in and FORGET what factory idiots tell the alternator to do
  • CORRECTED VOLTAGE only goes to the trailer
  • The tow vehicle stays at the factory idiot setting
  • Want 14.40 EXACTLY for Lifeline batteries -- you got it?
  • Need higher or lower set voltage...you got it.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put some Panasonic or Nichicon caps on there, replace the tiny screw terminals with soldered on wire and anderson connectors, replace the tiny trim pots with genuine Bourns multi-turn panel mount pots and what else?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...Look up an ad for a Sure Power booster and bucker and have a heart attack at the price.

Finding a ventilated cover would be the first thing on my list.

[image]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Amp-12-Way-S........1?hash=item1c90ad8a67:g:k7oAAOSwKUhZrZId

Then chop off a pair of of these connectors. 12 gauge wire from booster to terminal block. Six gauge wires running to the rear trailer connector.

Even better would be a 20-amp auto-reset circuit breaker.

How much does a mounted set of solar panels cost? Not a controller, call it adding to the existing array on the roof? Twenty amps worth? Can they be on-call 24/7?

There is a time and place for everything and a 3-hour boondocking move could add 60 amp hours. 5 hours 100 amp hours.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it self limit the current? My battery would absorb way over 22 amps at setting 14.4 volts.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Big time.

It takes huge circular mil cable to decrease PERCENTAGE of voltage drop. With say 13.9 vdc traveling 40' a person would need 0000

With a Delta T of 1.7 volts, a person will still need six gauge wire to approach a 20 ampere figure.

But newer vehicles IGOR voltage control inside the ECU makes the idea of tow charging ridiculous. These are the folks who cannot figure out ECU control with a "tow package" is an OXYMORON. Authentic design integration from a cluster of fiefdoms.

Reminds me of down here. Being passed by an older car running an emergency spare tire on the front left. Hit the brakes at 75 mph and veer into oncoming traffic. It's institutionalized -- Washington DC operates this way...

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you believe that device is capable of anything NEAR 2200W I have a bridge for sale. Mount that thing in a box with about a 4" muffin fan blowing across both the top and the bottom. Replacing the caps with "name brand" ones is a good suggestion.

If you do mount it in a box, I would buy one of those cheap Volt/Amp meters so you can get a quick looks see at what is going on.

Auto companies are not about to mess with their "smart charging" strategies. They get an extra 0.1 or 0.2 MPG by keeping the charging voltage AT THE VEHICLE BATTERY as low as possible !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

It takes huge circular mil cable to decrease PERCENTAGE of voltage drop. With say 13.9 vdc traveling 40' a person would need 0000

With a Delta T of 1.7 volts, a person will still need six gauge wire to approach a 20 ampere figure.

Just mount your gizmo close to the battery that is going to be charged. No worries about voltgae drap as long as it is above the minimum.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

But newer vehicles IGOR voltage control inside the ECU makes the idea of tow charging ridiculous. These are the folks who cannot figure out ECU control with a "tow package" is an OXYMORON. Authentic design integration from a cluster of fiefdoms ...

IT'S A TOWING PACKAGE ! NOT AN AUXILIARY BATTERY CHARGING PACKAGE !

The fact that B+ is even on the 7 pin connector is "historical". Sadly, very few people really understand this !

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love to respond but a gaggle of stupidity gets in the way

Open Roads Forum

An invalid topic ID or forum ID was passed in.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/18 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still don't know if my low battery will burn the thing up.
Or will the current be internally limited to 22 amps?
I honestly think my truck will provide up to 40 amps if the connection is right.
10 volt minimum input should draw out plenty of juice.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new truck ecu seems to prefer operating at 14.3 volts, indicated by two dmms. I haven't measured the voltage at the Bargman however.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Nightmare Reducing Battery Charging Voltage Corrector
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS