RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Roadside Assistance: Unable to receive local assistance

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

 > Unable to receive local assistance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fisher99

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 12/15/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound encouraging that there is an "escalation" option for situations like this, but we'll see what GS says.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GS, along with other roadside assistance companies, establish contracts with tow companies to provide service in specific areas. Sometimes, that contracted company is located IN the town where you happen to break down. Sometimes, it's not.

Sometimes, the contracted tow company handles an entire county or two. While there are other tow companies within that county(s), they aren't contracted with the RA to provide services, and therefore, the RA cannot call them even though they may be physically closer to you than the company on contract.

This isn't a GS "typical problem", it is a problem inherent to all RA programs that use contracted tow companies. It isn't cost effective for them to have contracts by city - so there may be delays in getting a tow due to the travel distance.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fisher99 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound encouraging that there is an "escalation" option for situations like this, but we'll see what GS says.


Not encouraging? By your own admission, this "problem" occurred TWO YEARS AGO. GS is actually willing to look at it and possibly do something for you TWO YEARS later and that's not encouraging? Any other RA would simply tell you it's been two years and there's nothing they can do for you.

I recently needed a tow and used my AAA. Their contracted provider kept pushing back their response time - first saying they'd be there the following day, then that next day saying it'd be another one or two days. I ended up paying out-of-pocket for an independent provider to get towed the first day. Guess what? I contacted AAA and have had my issue "escalated" so that I can get reimbursed. I certainly am glad they have an escalation option available for me.

fisher99

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 12/15/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

fisher99 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound encouraging that there is an "escalation" option for situations like this, but we'll see what GS says.


Not encouraging? By your own admission, this "problem" occurred TWO YEARS AGO. GS is actually willing to look at it and possibly do something for you TWO YEARS later and that's not encouraging? Any other RA would simply tell you it's been two years and there's nothing they can do for you.

I recently needed a tow and used my AAA. Their contracted provider kept pushing back their response time - first saying they'd be there the following day, then that next day saying it'd be another one or two days. I ended up paying out-of-pocket for an independent provider to get towed the first day. Guess what? I contacted AAA and have had my issue "escalated" so that I can get reimbursed. I certainly am glad they have an escalation option available for me.


Calm down and take a deep breath... [emoticon] What I meant by "not encouraging" was that the comments from others seemed to indicate that my experience was normal, which is not encouraging. And read my next post for more information.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fisher99 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

fisher99 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound encouraging that there is an "escalation" option for situations like this, but we'll see what GS says.


Not encouraging? By your own admission, this "problem" occurred TWO YEARS AGO. GS is actually willing to look at it and possibly do something for you TWO YEARS later and that's not encouraging? Any other RA would simply tell you it's been two years and there's nothing they can do for you.

I recently needed a tow and used my AAA. Their contracted provider kept pushing back their response time - first saying they'd be there the following day, then that next day saying it'd be another one or two days. I ended up paying out-of-pocket for an independent provider to get towed the first day. Guess what? I contacted AAA and have had my issue "escalated" so that I can get reimbursed. I certainly am glad they have an escalation option available for me.


Calm down and take a deep breath... [emoticon] What I meant by "not encouraging" was that the comments from others seemed to indicate that my experience was normal, which is not encouraging. And read my next post for more information.


Your post said nothing about others' posts. You simply stated that it is not encouraging that they (GS) have an "escalation" process in place. And there is no "next post". Perhaps you should be more clear with your comments.

As for the rest, this happened to you TWO YEARS AGO. Why even post about it now? But since you have, maybe just the fact that GS is even willing to "look into" it deserves a bit of credit - I don't know any other company that would respond to a 2-year old complaint.

fisher99

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 12/15/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I received a nice call from Eric at GSRA. He was very gracious and we spent considerable time discussing my situation. After explaining about how they contract with certain support entities and try to use those agencies, he also said that this should absolutely never put a customer into the position that I was in, where I was told that they may not be able to get service to me until the next morning, when there is obviously service available (non-contracted, of course) only 20 miles away. He told me that if I ever found myself in this situation again that I should request that the incident be escalated to the agent's supervisor. And he gave me his direct number as well.

So, that answers my main question. A customer does have the option of requesting escalation to a supervisor. I suppose in retrospect that I should have tried that, but under the pressure of the circumstances it didn't occur to me that it might be an option. And while GSRA will try as hard as possible to use contracted service providers (which is understandable), and while that may delay getting service to the customer, there is a limit as to how long that delay should continue. And that they are willing to use a non-contracted service facility if they cannot provide service from a contracted facility in a reasonable amount of time. Of course "reasonable" might feel different to GSRA than it does to the person stranded alongside the road...

Eric is also extending my GSRA by 3 months, as a token apology for the level of service that we received. This was certainly not necessary, but it is a very nice gesture that helps me to feel that he is indeed concerned about the level of service that GSRA provided. Kudos to Eric (and GSRA) for this response.

Glad I re-discovered this forum and made this post.

fisher99

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 12/15/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

fisher99 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

fisher99 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound encouraging that there is an "escalation" option for situations like this, but we'll see what GS says.


Not encouraging? By your own admission, this "problem" occurred TWO YEARS AGO. GS is actually willing to look at it and possibly do something for you TWO YEARS later and that's not encouraging? Any other RA would simply tell you it's been two years and there's nothing they can do for you.

I recently needed a tow and used my AAA. Their contracted provider kept pushing back their response time - first saying they'd be there the following day, then that next day saying it'd be another one or two days. I ended up paying out-of-pocket for an independent provider to get towed the first day. Guess what? I contacted AAA and have had my issue "escalated" so that I can get reimbursed. I certainly am glad they have an escalation option available for me.


Calm down and take a deep breath... [emoticon] What I meant by "not encouraging" was that the comments from others seemed to indicate that my experience was normal, which is not encouraging. And read my next post for more information.


Your post said nothing about others' posts. You simply stated that it is not encouraging that they (GS) have an "escalation" process in place. And there is no "next post". Perhaps you should be more clear with your comments.

As for the rest, this happened to you TWO YEARS AGO. Why even post about it now? But since you have, maybe just the fact that GS is even willing to "look into" it deserves a bit of credit - I don't know any other company that would respond to a 2-year old complaint.


Be careful. I don't think that all of that YELLING is healthy... [emoticon]

In any case, I fully agree with you that GSRA deserves credit for addressing this 2 year old issue, and I think I gave them that credit in my last post. As for why I would even post about it 2 years after the fact, I think the results from GSRA answer that question nicely.

classic 31

Cape Cod

Senior Member

Joined: 11/08/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/17/18 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great service.

* This post was edited 04/17/18 07:01pm by classic 31 *

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

Joined: 09/12/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/18/18 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fisher99,

Thank you for your compliments regarding Eric and the service provided to you since your post. I have sent your compliments to the Roadside team.

Thanks,
Stacy
Good Sam Care Team

classic 31

Cape Cod

Senior Member

Joined: 11/08/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/19/18 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are very lucky they threw you a cookie most of the times they apologized and say it shouldn't have happened. It must have been a terrible experience being left on the side of the road knowing your Good Sam service would let you down.I also have had the same experience as many others have so we know where you are coming from. Enjoy your treat and safe camping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

 > Unable to receive local assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS