RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Time For New Shocks - HD Bilsteins Or Koni-FSD?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Time For New Shocks - HD Bilsteins Or Koni-FSD?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rog & Nan

Michigan City, IN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put Bilstiens on our 27’ Four Winds Siesta. WHAT a difference it is a 2008 and shocks apparently where original when we bought it 1-1/2 years ago. We had them put on our class A in 2001 it is a 1996 GBM.

Sorry double post.

Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/18 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 24 footer E-450, I have FSDs on the rear and I'm about to install Billys on the front. The front isn't harsh like the rear so I decided to save a few bucks and go with the Billys up front. I'm not as impressed with the FSDs as I would like to be but I find it's always that way with shocks. The Billys have digressive valving so I'm not sure how different they are compared to the FSDs.

OFDPOS

Nor Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I have posted on other threads about the koni's ,,, Save your money and get the Bilsteins !

OR if you really want the koni's PM me for address etc info... I'll remove the ones off the front on mine , has about 1500 miles on them. You order up the Bilsteins have them sent to me, I'll put the koni's in the Bilstein boxes and pay to have them shipped to you..

Yeah that's how much I'm disappointed in the koni's !!!

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/18 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here.

Thank You all for your inputs.

An overwhelming majority of people here love their HD Bilsteins. And to be honest with you, I loved the Bilsteins on my previous Toyota chassis motor home of long ago. Then there are the few here who invested the extra for Koni-FSDs and feel neutral or even remorse with their decision.

I am finding it very hard to justify spending an additional $291 for four Koni-FSDs. If they were priced close to the Bilsteins, I would favor them.

I was hoping a few people here had replaced their HD Bilsteins with Koni-FSD (on the same rig) and found the change to make a significant improvement in both the quality of ride along with maintaining good handling as their HD Bilsteins did.

I should just order the HD Bilsteins and be done.

Please confirm the front and rear HEAVY DUTY Bilstein part numbers for a 2007 E350 class C motor home are as follows. I do NOT want the comfort ride version.
33-187570 front
33-176857 rear

I can buy them for $83.00 each with free shipping from Tire Rack HERE. I buy lots of tires from them and feel good giving them my business on this one. I think they would be helpful with a warranty claim down the road, if it came up.

* This post was last edited 04/20/18 07:19pm by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

gmctoyman

Lake Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/18 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the Bilsteins on a 24' & 26' Lazy Daze. Had the FSD on my Foretravel, and reciently put them on my Chev chassis class C. If you’ve ever experienced the difference you’d probably go for the FSD. There is a difference in the design and the way they react to impact. It’s your rig & $$.

Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron,

You might want to keep in mind the size of the Class C that posting owners are happy with, or not happy with, regarding FSD shocks on (at least the rear of) their motorhome.

A heavy Class C has it's weight to pretty much negate the effect of single action stiff shocks having their stiffness added to that of the rear leaf springs ... so they would think that their single action stiff shocks were just fine because the stiff shocks would of course be helping with the most important-to-them thing ... body roll -> as does the stiff (low frequency) mode of the FSD shocks do with respect to body roll.

I'll bet that FSD shocks in the rear of your small Class C will definitely help to reduce any pounding that you may be experiencing from the rear leaf springs. HOWEVER, your E350 does have less stiff leaf springs in the rear than an E450 does, so "maybe" you would not notice much help from their high frequency "light shock damping" mode on highway cracks and potholes.

I'm not really sure what help FSD shocks would be on the front coil springs of a small Class C on either an E350 chassis or an E450 chassis. My mechanic recommended that I contact Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, Oregon to get advice on what help FSD shocks may or may not provide to the front coil springs on the Ford E-Series ... before I decide what to do for new shocks on the front of our E450 24 foot Class C.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

OFDPOS

Nor Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron,
Yes those are the right #'s for the shocks.

My stock 7 year old ford gas shocks did better then these koni's fsd's on the front ...

Also was up at Henderson's a few weeks back, had the alignment done and rear trac bar installed.
As for the alignment well that's for another thread and day.

Before going up there I had made a few phone calls and talked with one of the owners.
Very nice guy. Once we got up there I talked with him some more. We talked about everything on the suspension, what I had done and so forth and what concerns I still had.
They sell both the Bilstein's and koni's .. He was wearing a jacket with a koni patch on it, so I felt he was a little bias towards koni's over the Bilstein's, but he still commented that they will sell and or install what the customer wants.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/18 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hendersons was an early promoter of FSD's. Back before they were available for Class C's, Henderson was promoting them for A's. I think they had a video about it.
And you're right, Friend. Nice people up there in Grants Pass.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OFDPOS wrote:

Like I have posted on other threads about the koni's ,,, Save your money and get the Bilsteins !

OR if you really want the koni's PM me for address etc info... I'll remove the ones off the front on mine , has about 1500 miles on them. You order up the Bilsteins have them sent to me, I'll put the koni's in the Bilstein boxes and pay to have them shipped to you..

Yeah that's how much I'm disappointed in the koni's !!!

What was it that disappointed you in their performance. In another posting you stated you had some suspension and alignment work done. Were the shocks installed after the upgrades and you noticed they took away some of the quality of that OR the shocks came first, then the upgrades.

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OFDPOS wrote:

As for the alignment well that's for another thread and day.

I am looking forward to that! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Time For New Shocks - HD Bilsteins Or Koni-FSD?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.