RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Removed over/stove...replaced with two burner induction.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Removed over/stove...replaced with two burner induction.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/18 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

Did you have to replace the entire countertop?

In the fpicture below you can see the corian counter cover that I cut down (used front and 6" of the top) to go in front of the induction. Had to remove two strips of corian on each edge of the stove to have enough width and depth for the induction...heating with a torch made the glue release and with some prying the corian strips came out. Did not have a good enough saw blade to cut the corian so used a cutoff disk on a 4" grinder to cut the top.

[image]

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.

TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our oven out too. All it did was burn everthing even with tiles inside. It might have been handy for a mobile veterinarian to use to cremate small animals but that's about all. We bought a electric hotplate and we replaced the oven with this portable convection oven from Home Depot:

[image]

It cooks food great but uses a light to produce heat so the light flashes on and off. No big deal for us. We just use it to cook while we're our riding motorcycles so when we come home the food is done. It has a timer and shuts itself off. Cost about 50 bucks.

Sold the oven on Craigslist.

dkreuzen

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced our never used 3 burner gas cooktop with a True induction two burner unit. Love it!

Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

CarolMackay

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The portable things are great for RV's.

* This post was edited 01/10/21 06:19pm by CarolMackay *

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel a lot out West in the mountains and at high altitudes. This where an induction cook top really shines. It is not affected by the high altitude as much as the propane cook top.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm one of the rare who prefer a propane range and oven and would prefer a convection/microwave combo too, but have a microwave only. There are a lot of things that I cook in the oven and on the range. Since we primarily dry camp or boondock and prefer not to use the generator, having the range and oven gives me a multitude of cooking options, not to mention cooking over the fire or on a grill outside. We looked at the induction cooking tops, but opted out due to it's reliance on electricity.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess this works as long as you have a "current bush" handy, or your run your generator. We, like quite a few, camp without amities. Granted we do run our generator when the temps get into the mid, to high 90s to run the air. The oven is something my wife would really miss.

Wildmanbaker

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Three years ago we got a portable induction single element induction cooker. Since then the DW has maybe used the two burner gas stove a dozen times and we are half timers. In the last year I doubt it was used even one time. Between a crock pot, micro/convection oven, and a single element induction we eat very well. OK, and the portable infrared gas grill for steaks when she will let me have one.

Any pot (including most SS) that a magnet will stick to will work as "induction cookware".

Tiffin's have come with 2 burner Inductions for over 10 years. Tiffin supplies the correct Pots and Pans for Induction. WE advise and show customers how the system works and TELL them about the correct Pots and Pans to use. I would say we get 3 or 4 customers per year that come in and state the Induction cooktop does NOT work. We find they threw away the supplied correct Pots and Pans and are using non magnetic Pots and Pans. I have a 5 burner at home and would never use anything else(my wife is SOLD on Induction) including Natural gas burners. I also found that if you lift the Pot off the surface just a inch or so, the Pot continues to operate. Doug

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Positives and negatives on Induction cooktops
ONE: the cooktop itself remains fairly cool. ALL the energy goes into heating the pan (Thus more efficient) In fact to keep my induction unit clean when frying I will cover it in paper towel, then set the skillet on top!!! one time the towel turned brown. Just once. (in several years) Mine is a counter top model

Negatives AC only. will not work on propane.
If a magnet will not stick to the pan.. Send pan to Salvation Army as it won't work (Doing that as I move into my apartment)

But I have to admit. I had a gas range. a single electric counter top burner. A dual counter top and the induction unit. Induction was #1. they all work but induction was #1

Now in the apartment the primary range is Electric. and disabled at the breaker box (i don't need one that big) still use the induction unit.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog, nice looking install. I think you will find it to be one of the best mods you've ever done. I also have a 2 burner True in the coach and carry a single to use out side for vegetables or fries when I grill outside.I have a onboard 20 lb portable LP tank for the Weber.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Removed over/stove...replaced with two burner induction.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.