|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR/3 : Threading the Needles (Canyonlands) part way

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/18 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GpnAZ wrote:

I would have to tackle that with my Jeep instead!

That will work better than my effort. (but I probably slept better)

Cal

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/18 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's THIS? NO WHAZOO'S?! Too late, Whazoo's been there but in a Jeep. Good one Cal, trying to keep the Whazoo out of Cheslers Park. Also, that is exactly why I don't use frame mount tie downs, I don't have a torpedo winch to fix them. Great trip there Cal, didn't you do more in Beef Basin though? Lots of ruins there. The problem I've run in to with GMCs and rocks is that our massive third unit, yes it is thank you, hangs down so far that unless you're running 37 inch tires the diff gets hung up a bit. Talk about an expensive tow out, you'd have to get a Sikorsky. And if you did make it down and all the way to Elephant Hill, the backside of the hill would be problematic. Awesome trip Cal, you did the right thing. Let Jefe deal with the carnage, he actually enjoys it. :-)

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave -- I actually meant to mention that. If anyone thinks that I'm just following Whazoo around the SW, answer this: where exactly has Whazoo NOT been???

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hah, lots and lots of places I’ve not seen Cal, you’ve been to a few yourself.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking Cal, that you and I should go back there together and get er done before Jefe bags Bobbys Hole. I’ll stand ready with the strap while you go on ahead.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, 7 months and my new titanium shoulder have passed in review since Cal's tome was unveiled. So...Bro John and Krys, plus Jeanie and I are going to try a similar spring route through Canyonlands between April 8 and 18. We 'think' we have a route that an 86 inch wide camper will fit through (with bed tie downs sans camper jacks). The trick is to make it south to north through the Needles district as the trail splits toward Elephant Hill and the 'out' trail doesn't have the hangover or the squeeze that the 'in' trail has (Devil's Pocket). I'm not worried about rocks on the trail or washouts, but rock overhangs at narrow spots can stop the train cold. Some highlights (God willing) will include Beef Basin, Bobby's Hole, Devils Kitchen, Horse Hoof camp; plus a run through the Needles themselves and various overlooks.
With the partial Gov't shutdown, and after visiting the Canyonlands N.P website, it looks like the trails are open but no one is collecting money or dumping the trash. Maybe it will be over by then. We came down Elephant Hill in 1971. The 3-yr. old kid in the center is turning 50 next month. He may even go along on this trip in his own Jeep/RTT.
[image]

* This post was edited 01/09/19 10:24pm by jefe 4x4 *

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Jefe -- about time you followed up on your plan!
Your route is the same one I was planning, except I thought I would come back the same way as I went it.
Really looking forward to see how you manage at the point that stopped me. (although you're not planning to come back up that way -- which is what actually stopped me).
And there's another spot that most vehicles have to enter forward, then backup the rest of the way to get through. It's called SOB Hill.

Should be great fun, and an epic trip for TCs.

Cal

* This post was edited 01/12/19 11:13am by cewillis *

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cal,

Once again you've out done yourself. Great trip report!

1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for the TR . There seems to be fewer and fewer as of late . BTW , I think it was a wise decision to stop when you did . " Know when to hold them and know when to fold them ".

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tiki,
The time and exposure of the fearsome foursome on RV net is slowly diminishing. Whazoo, Cal, Alex, and jefe, all hard core TC-er's, are now the old men of XTC, (well, Alex is the 'kid' of the bunch) and I don't see anyone ready to take their place. They have all resisted the natural call of RV'er's to move up to more spacious and comfortable rolling domiciles, DRW's, a higher GVW, more space for cold ones, so they are as a group a fading anachronism. And, most importantly, who, who, is going to post a tinky little T.R. that stands up by comparison to the monumental monoliths of the trip reports of the Great Whazoo? Who?
That's the way I see it.
jefe

* This post was edited 01/12/19 02:05pm by jefe 4x4 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR/3 : Threading the Needles (Canyonlands) part way
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS