RV.Net Open Roads Forum: approx fuel left when light comes on???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> approx fuel left when light comes on???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
clotus

ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys I got a 2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K. The specs say it has a 55 gallon fuel tank. My fuel light came on while headed home. I drove about 15 miles to the gas station near home. I filled up a lil over 48 gallons and averaged 8.4 mpg.

Anyone know the aprox gallons left when the light come on?

My math shows it came on right around 9 gallons left, assuming a true 55-gallon fill.

Anyone know what Ford sets it at?

5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
Truck: 08 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 diesel
-Airbags, hellwig sway bar, rancho 9000xl, Nitto 285/70R17's, Prodigy P2 brake controller, and B&W Patriot 16k hitch.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a lot of people would like to know that magic number. Sounds to me you go it about right. With a 55 gallon tank you can be a couple gallons either way depending which way your truck is leaning front to back or side to side when you fill up. But I bet you are close. JMHO

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To many variables. I fill up at or before 1/4 tank.If you start looking at 1/2 you won't be in a rush to find "someplace" before it runs out.
Bill

2003 BOUNDER 38N
5.9 CUMMINS 300 HP
ALLISON 3000MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like to push my luck so make every attempt to stay out of that zone. It has come on a few times but I haven't been bitten..... yet.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I would do is just go with what you figured out already... Your low fuel light comes on when you have ~ 9 gallons of gas left... Done deal. [emoticon]

When my low fuel light comes on, I have about 5 gallons left, but that's with an F150 with the 36 gallon tank.

However, if I have 1/4 tank left (~9 gallons) and I park on any kind of slope with the nose of the truck down, it'll throw the low fuel light.

I now don't let it get past 1/4 tank if I can help it. If I have to go more, I know that I've got at least that ~ 5 gallons once the light comes on and I'm looking for gas ASAP..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the chassis owner's manual will list that information? My motorhome is old enough that it doesn't have a low fuel light, just the usual gauge.

My car owner's manual states that the light comes on when there is "approximately 1.62 gallons left" in the tank, which always struck me as a rather oddly precise approximation. Perhaps it varies by a few tablespoons or something. I should perhaps note that the tank holds a total of about 10-11 gallons, and the car gets nearly 40 miles per gallon, so 1.62 gallons is a reasonable amount of warning before running out on that vehicle.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not count on 9 gallons when the low fuel light comes on.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/18 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use same method and my truck is a 6 gallon reserve and I have pushed it to the fumes. I would go with 9 or just 8 as correct. Easier to count miles so maybe 60 miles unless going up a significant hill.

You really want to know you could carry a 5 gallon can or two and run it fully out. See if you get 60 miles or more. Although not sure it is a great idea to run out of fuel that way.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/18 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

I don't like to push my luck so make every attempt to stay out of that zone. It has come on a few times but I haven't been bitten..... yet.

x2. While it is nice to know how much fuel is left when the light comes on, I think it can be a bad habit to start relying on the 'low fuel light' to start looking for fuel.
I also start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank. Why gamble on running out of fuel?
I've filled up when my tank was at 3/4 because I found a good price along my route.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/18 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WILDEBILL308 wrote:

To many variables. I fill up at or before 1/4 tank.If you start looking at 1/2 you won't be in a rush to find "someplace" before it runs out.
Bill

THIS. Really. Running it down to E will bite you in the butt at the worst possible time.

And if you have an onboard Gen, it won't run if the tank is below a certain point. Usually advertised as a quarter but some have found it's more like half.

AND running the tank dry can kill a fuel pump.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> approx fuel left when light comes on???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS