|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What antenna and how to replace

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision old technology over the air antenna needs repaced on our coach.

What do I need to just take off old roll down and place new tech ant on roof of coach?

I want to be able to switch between direct tv and local stations. If wifi available amazon, netflex and roku?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/18 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your "old technology" antenna doesn't need replacing unless it's broken. Radio waves are radio waves, and that's the same today as it was in Marconi's day. There may be some enhancements available to improve your existing antenna's reception though. Is your existing antenna a Winegard Sensar "batwing" antenna?

Switching between DTV and local, or Amazon Prime, etc., are TV functions that have nothing to do with the antenna used.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/18 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a Wingman to my old Winegard batwing and replaced the antenna switch box with a Sensar Pro booster and signal strength meter. I get great HD digital OTA almost everywhere. I even got Houston stations in Galveston.

At the RV parts store where I work part time, we sell a couple dozen "tech" antennas (King Jack) a season all taken out by a low hanging branch.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a winegard, you,re set to go. If you are having problems wit it, replacing the "f" connecters, adding a wingman and the sensar pro, you will really on top of the OTA antenna.

You probably have a B.O.M.B. and that will take care of switching between anything with coax cable.

BluRay will require a HDMI cable and that will connect directly to the TV set. That is accessable from the INPUT function inthe TV.

Not a big deal, really easy. A lot more help here if you need it.

* This post was edited 05/15/18 07:04pm by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/18 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thread running on this right now in the Class A forum.

RV Antenna

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I added a Wingman to my old Winegard batwing and replaced the antenna switch box with a Sensar Pro booster and signal strength meter. I get great HD digital OTA almost everywhere. I even got Houston stations in Galveston.

At the RV parts store where I work part time, we sell a couple dozen "tech" antennas (King Jack) a season all taken out by a low hanging branch.

Do those antenna just replace by taking off old one and attaching new to standard of old one?

Do they work off same handle in coach?

Thanks

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/18 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

Do those antenna just replace by taking off old one and attaching new to standard of old one?

Do they work off same handle in coach?

Thanks

You remove 3 rubber plugs from the bottom of the existing batwing, put the Wingman on the bottom of the batwing and put the 3 rubber plugs back in. It takes longer to set up the ladder than it does to add a Wingman. As long as you have clearnace around other appliances on the roof, it goes up and down like the original antenna.

Video

The installation is the last 15 seconds of the video.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If by "Roll down" you mean a winegard Sensar II or III then there is no need to replace unless broken, if Broken and not fixable (mine is fixed) the Sensar IV is the recommended replacement head. For OVER THE AIR Television.

If not broken a WINGMAN is less than 50 dollars and easily installed, A pair of common slip joint pliars may help. but I did not need 'em.

Also if you have the classic wall plate with the outlet, switch, light and antenna connection replace it with the SENsAR PRO.

IF you have, as I do, a BOX of many buttons.> Well I added the SENSAR pro. Ask and I'll tell you how, about 100 dollars give or take a bit.

For DirecTV. I recommend a tripod mounted DISH. DTV is discontinuing SD broadcasts and there is no dome I know of at this time that does HD. (I'm sure one will come out soon from king Controls, but not yet) And roof mounts suffer from teh "EVIL TREE" syndrom (Trees eat signals) so go with a Tripod mount.

Different systems. SOME Direct TV receivera will receive OTA some will not.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What antenna and how to replace
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS