|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Another Dish network question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DC&MC

formerly of Keizer Oregon USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember this happening last fall when we went south. We moved today and had to give a new service address to get locals. Yesterday we drove also but still used the address we had for a few days. Last night and tonight the Hopper 3 did not record prime time. It had the little yellow notation on the guide like it’s gonna record, but it didn’t. Is this something to do with our hopper being off while driving and having to re aim the dish? Last fall when it failed to record I think it did work like normal on the second day. Also we missed our 7;00 show cause it was on at 6;00. I thought our guide usually showed the correct time for our service address, but it appears our guide is showing the time for our billing address.

2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2011 Ram PU
2012 Honda Interstate mc
From wherever we happen to be

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/18 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say you drove yesterday. Did you cross a time zone? Did you travel far enough to leave the original spot beam and enter the area of a different spot beam?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you moved out of a spot beam and did not contact DISH with a new address. Is that right? Where are you and what kind of antenna are you using? Could you be in an EA market with a WA antenna?

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DC&MC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/18 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just arrived at rapid city. Our travler is set up for the west. So is this why we are going not getting the Rapid locals in SD? Also the prime time didn’t record although the guide does indicate it should be recording.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you change spot beam areas you will have to call and get a “bump” sent to your receiver even though the correct channels for the area you are in will probably show up on your guide. I just had that discussion with dish last night. We also use the hopper 3. We reset our locals often. A suggestion is that I have found using tech support (option 4) works much better than using a normal csr (option 3). Using tech support they understand what I want and I only have to give them a zip code. Normal csr’s usually want a complete address which is unnecessary.

I have found that the guide times will often not read correctly or be complete until it reloads overnite. There is a way to force it to reload but I just don’t bother.

BTW, we just passed thru Rapid City and had to change locals from Sioux Falls even though the Rapid locals showed up in the guide.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C

gatorcq

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go to this website
http://www.satellitesolutions.com/dishnetwork/sd-dish-network-rapid-city-south-dakota.asp
example i set for id Rapid City, SD. it will give you what channels you will receive.
BTW, I always use the Online Chat service for changing my service address. since 2014 only had about 5 glitches .

Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 08 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600Ws MPPT, 2800Ws Inv/Chg, 660AH
Alfa SeYa 2003, CAT 3126E 330Hp (Previous)
DaGirslRV Blog

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is SPOT BEAMING?

Imagine a large stage, On the floor of the stage is painted a map of the United states. Standing on your service location is the STAR of the SHOW singing his solo, he is covered by a Follow Spot operator.. (Spot light) ... Well if you are also standing in teh light, you have are seen, but if you are say on the other side of the stage, dressed as I was in Black, Changing out props on the set (I was a stage hand) Nobody sees you.

A spot light **IS** A spot beam

What is a CONUS beam.

Same stage.. FLOOD LIGHT that covers the entire stage for the big dance number.

SPOT Lights are SPOT beams

WHen you set up a service location, DISH authorizes your receiver for that spot beam. if you drive WITHIN the spot. All is good.. but if you leave the spot. All is DARK in regards to the locals.. You need to "Move" teh service address to the spot you are "Standing" in.

Example. When I had Dish/Direct my Service addy was Detroit.. Flint area (Where I am now) Same spot Kalamazoo,, Different spot.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

We just arrived at rapid city. Our travler is set up for the west. So is this why we are going not getting the Rapid locals in SD? Also the prime time didn’t record although the guide does indicate it should be recording.

Yes to both. As mentioned in your other thread you’ll need 61.5 from the Eastern Arc. Your Trav’ler doesn’t support the full EA but 61.5 will get you HD locals and PT.

Larry

DC&MC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did chat with Dish to give them our new address. Why doesn’t that person know that HD is on a different satellite. If I reprogram the travler to get 61.5 I’ll lose one of the others won’t I?

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

We did chat with Dish to give them our new address. Why doesn’t that person know that HD is on a different satellite. If I reprogram the travler to get 61.5 I’ll lose one of the others won’t I?

You’ll lose all of the others. That’s a limitation of the Trav’ler and why I also carry a tripod mounted Eastern Arc dish.

Based on numerous conversations with Winegard, that is not likely to change.

The average Dish CSR is not a very good source of technical information though they have improved dramatically in recent years.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Another Dish network question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS