RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: I dont understand tires!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I dont understand tires!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
esfd243

East Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 03:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we had a blow out of Constancy tires on 26 in SC. Lots of damage to include a hole in the floor of one of the slides. Insurance is working on that.

I will replace all 4 tires but I read about Goodyear Endurance ST and LT tires as well as Sailun s637. I do not know the difference in ST or LT? Or the Goodyear or Sailun?

Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume it came with ST235/80R16E maypops. The new Goodyear Endurance ST is a good choice. Given the 14080 GVWR, the Sailun S637 might we an overkill. They are however a really good tire for the money. You would only need about 85-90 inflation for your load. If you inflated them to 110 pounds they would beat the trailer to death.

Fully loaded you will have less that 12K on the axles. A steel ply carcass tire like the S637 will add to towing stability and have a low rolling resistance.

Here is information on warranty and claims.

https://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/media/........_2015-Warranty-Claim-Form-Update-pdf.pdf

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

lmpres

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear is also known for covering trailer damage caused by their tire blowouts....
If it matters to you, Goodyear Endurance are also made in the USA.

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Who had ever heard of Constancy tires. I swear I don't know what dung heap they get some of those tires from. That being said, we bought the Sailun S637 two years ago. We have about 18,000 miles on them and they still look new. And like Me Again said, with your weight you only need to inflate to 85-90 pounds. We runs ours at 85(12,900 weight when packed and ready to roll) and that seems to work just fine. The only complaint I have heard is that in some areas of the country they are hard to find.

MWJones

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your question. ST is Special Trailer. Built to withstand the large amount of pressure put on the sidewalls when making SHARP turns as we do when parking trailers.
LT is Light Truck. Built to handle heavy loads and highway speeds.
Hope this helps.

M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

esfd243 wrote:

I will replace all 4 tires but I read about Goodyear Endurance ST and LT tires as well as Sailun s637. I do not know the difference in ST or LT? Or the Goodyear or Sailun?
What size tire? What is the trailer GVWR?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’ve run Sailuns at 105-110psi for the last 2yrs on our 14000lb 5er and are very happy with them. A little overkill but I’d recommend them for the peace of mind. They haven’t “beat our trailer to death” but we do have MorRyde IS also.

Ron & Pat (and a Portuguese Water Dog)
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2005 HitchHiker DA 31.5LKTG

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

esfd243 wrote:

So we had a blow out of Constancy tires on 26 in SC. Lots of damage to include a hole in the floor of one of the slides. Insurance is working on that.

Assuming you have 16" wheels, 2 great options would be Michelin XP Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250. In reality, they are virtually the same tire (same company) but the R250 is usually about $50-60 cheaper per tire. All-steel construction, tread and sidewalls. Yes, they are LT tires and you could push the envelope on their stated sidewall loading, but they are far and away better than any ST, IMO. While the Sailun seem to be great tires, they're overkill for a trailer of your GVW.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MWJones wrote:

To answer your question. ST is Special Trailer. Built to withstand the large amount of pressure put on the sidewalls when making SHARP turns as we do when parking trailers.

Right out to the old ST propaganda manual. If they lived up to their claims they would have not self destructed at such high rates over the last two decades.

The GY Endurance may be a game changer in the ST tire offerings. Time will tell.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/18 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

In reality, they are virtually the same tire (same company) but the R250 is usually about $50-60 cheaper per tire.

Lyle

Wrong, Firestone/Bridgestone is NOT a Michelin company. BF Goodrich is, you may have confused the two.

Problem seems to be that many tire dealers refuse to install a LRE LT in the place of a LRE ST, having drank the ST Koolaid. Chris

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I dont understand tires!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS