|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Reese Signature Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Reelin'

Eagle river, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Reese signature series hitch in '03 Ram. I just bought an '18 Ram and would like to use the same hitch. Reese doesn't make an underbed setup for the new models. It doesn't look like the Reese adapter will accomodate the signature/elite model.

Anyone have a solution?

'05 Montana 3650RK
'18 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins 4.10s
'03 Ram 3500 SRW 5.9 Cummins 4.10s
Banks Six Gun w/Speed Loader
MBRP 4"
Line-X Bed
Reese 18K Signature Series

Support catch and release - just be sure to fillet the catch before you release it to the freezer!

filrupmark

Richmond,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/18 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The solution is B & W. If you can't use your Reese you can't tow your trailer.

2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked the Fit Guide on Reeses website and found that your existing hitch is not compatable with the new truck. They do not make the underbed rails for your hitch.

If you have the Ram fifth wheel prep package then I would order a B&W RVK3600 or if you are happy with the Reese products they make one that fit the pucks. I think the part number is 30160.

If you do not have the Ram pucks then you have a few options for underbed rails.

1) You can install a B&W Turnover ball Gooseneck hitch and use the B&W Companion hitch

2) You can install any brand underbed gooseneck hitch and use a hitch called the Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel connection (not my personal preference)

Or you can install standard fifth wheel hitch above bed rails and run a traditional rail mounted fifth wheel hitch. I still recommend the B&W brand called the Patriot. I would buy the 18k version which has a welded base.

My personal favorite combo without the factory Prep package is the B&W Turnoverball and the Companion fifth wheel hitch.

Sorry for the bad news on your current hitch. You can probably get $2-400 for it on craigslist to help offset the cost.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2016 Ford Fusion
Ozark Trail Tunnel Tent
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were searching for a new truck I couldn't find one without a bunch of options I didn't want. I did locate the KR in sig that had everything but the Ford puck system. Had local truck outfitter install the B&W turnball and order me a new lower unit for my companion hitch. After 50,000 miles trouble free towing with the companion hitch it was a no brainer.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reelin' sell what you have and get the B&W, you will thank me and everyone else that suggests the same!

Great truck deserves a great hitch!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the OP's '03 Ram have bed rails for his hitch? If so, funny that Reese doesn't make frame brackets for the '18 Rams. Having bought a '17 F350 w/o factory pucks, B&W did make frame brackets and rails for it. Seeing my hitch is a B&W Patriot, went w/ B&W brackets/rails. Talk about beefy parts! I as well would strongly recommend B&W parts to fit/work w/ the Reese. In fact, w/ my '15 F350, I used Reese brackets/rails and had a Reese hitch then bought the B&W.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a few Companies that are making a "Picture Frame" assembly that will fit into the Pucks and provide the rails for a standard hitch. Just have to research and see if you can find one that would fit your Truck and hitch.
Personally I would just upgrade to a good hitch made to fit the Pucks and put your current hitch on Craig's List.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reelin'

Eagle river, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, it’s time to get serious about my hitch install and start using the new truck.

Since I do not yet have anything installed under the bed I’m leaning toward the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch(model 1314) with the B&W RVK3500 Companion hitch.

I like the idea of having only one hole in the bed. I won’t bother with the safety chain loops for the gooseneck as I won’t have an occasion to pull a gooseneck trailer.

Does the single point of attachment give the same amount of stability as the wide stance on the 4 puck system?

Does the thickness of a spray-in liner effect mounting the 3500 hitch?
And lastly, is there a way of locking the hitch in to prevent theft?

Thanks to all for your input!

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

There are a few Companies that are making a "Picture Frame" assembly that will fit into the Pucks and provide the rails for a standard hitch.

Yep. Picture Frame Adapter

But at that price, why not apply the money to a better, brand new hitch for your brand new truck? The B&W setup for the Turnoverball and companion hitch will be about $1300. The OEM 4-point puck system is a little over $200 and then you can install any brand of hitch that fits the system.

Ram OEM Puck System.

I kind of like using the pucks because it gives you 4-points of contact directly over the frame rail. Is it better than the turnoverball/companion setup? Probably not just my preference.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS
'14 Ram 2500 | Crew Cab Long Bed| 4X4 | Cummins TurboDiesel
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (18, 11, & 10)
1 forgiving wife!!!

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reelin' wrote:

I have a Reese signature series hitch in '03 Ram. I just bought an '18 Ram and would like to use the same hitch. Reese doesn't make an underbed setup for the new models. It doesn't look like the Reese adapter will accomodate the signature/elite model.

Anyone have a solution?

Yes, a Reese 30154 picture frame adapter, if you have the OEM fifth wheel prep. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 with the OEM fifth wheel prep, and the reese picture frame adapter, and a rail mount Reese signature 18K fifth wheel hitch attached to it. The Reese adapter is around $375.00 .

I have to assume your reese hitch was attached to bed rails in your 03 ??. If so then the reese frame adapter will work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Reese Signature Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS