|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Reese Signature Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reelin' wrote:

OK, it’s time to get serious about my hitch install and start using the new truck.

Since I do not yet have anything installed under the bed I’m leaning toward the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch(model 1314) with the B&W RVK3500 Companion hitch.

I like the idea of having only one hole in the bed. I won’t bother with the safety chain loops for the gooseneck as I won’t have an occasion to pull a gooseneck trailer.

Does the single point of attachment give the same amount of stability as the wide stance on the 4 puck system?

Does the thickness of a spray-in liner effect mounting the 3500 hitch?
And lastly, is there a way of locking the hitch in to prevent theft?

Thanks to all for your input!

Sorry, I didn't see the above post, it appears you do not have the fifth wheel prep, I would still go with the fifth wheel prep, and get a hitch that attaches to the four points, forget that turnover ball ,and the single point attachment.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to side track this topic but what is the advantage to using a truck specific puck mount hitch vs. a goose neck/turnover ball mounted hitch? I'm thinking if I buy a new truck in the future especially if I change brands the puck hitch I can't take with me vs goose neck ball one I can. Puck hitch would be harder to sell as well given a much smaller pool of people needing a used hitch.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

Not to side track this topic but what is the advantage to using a truck specific puck mount hitch vs. a goose neck/turnover ball mounted hitch? I'm thinking if I buy a new truck in the future especially if I change brands the puck hitch I can't take with me vs goose neck ball one I can. Puck hitch would be harder to sell as well given a much smaller pool of people needing a used hitch.

Dan

Here is my opinion...The puck mount is the future, and will only get more popular. It is easier to install/remove, and more solid when installed, than the B&W 3500 single point. The B&W bases/heads can be purchased separately, so changing just the base for a different brand truck is less than half of the hitch cost.

Myself...I never buy anything, with the idea of resale to someone else. I buy what I want/need, works best for me. Case in point...I ordered/purchased a brand new extended cab truck in 13. I still have it, and it is best for my use. Some said "you should have gotten the crew cab, it would be worth more when you sell/trade". I don't care if it is worth less, when I get rid of it. I bought it for my use.

Jerry

Reelin'

Eagle river, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually I used the Reese puck setup for the '03 Ram. As such, I'm hosed as far as using the old Signature since Reese confirmed that they do not make a puck style picture frame adapter.

I've decided, and thank you for everyone's input, to pull the trigger on the B&W Turnover Ball receiver along with the RVK3500 Companion hitch.

The torquing and loosening of the bolt each time to install/uninstall the hitch seems like a little hassle but no one seems to mind and I'm sure I'll get used to it and love the hitch as all seem to.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Happy camping and safe travels to all.

John K

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reelin'

Welcome to the Famous "B&W FANBOY CLUB"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reelin'

Eagle river, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting ready to assemble my RVK3500.

The instructions give me 3 options for horizontal placement of the pivot arms. (pg 3, table D1 of instructions)

I'm putting it in an '18 Ram dually and am asking which position most are using for this model truck.

Many thanks!

'05 Montana 3650RK
'18 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins 4.10s
'03 Ram 3500 SRW 5.9 Cummins 4.10s
Banks Six Gun w/Speed Loader
MBRP 4"
Line-X Bed
Reese 18K Signature Series

Support catch and release - just be sure to fillet the catch before you release it to the freezer!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reelin' wrote:

I'm getting ready to assemble my RVK3500.

The instructions give me 3 options for horizontal placement of the pivot arms. (pg 3, table D1 of instructions)

I'm putting it in an '18 Ram dually and am asking which position most are using for this model truck.

Many thanks!

Full forward with straight edges toward cab in lowest height setting.

Reelin'

Eagle river, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome! Thank you.

Would the socket post be installed in "position 2" as per the diagram on pg 2 of the instructions?

I hoping to get this right the first time.

Many thanks again!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is your VISUAL. The side head supports each have a straight and angled side. Straight towards cab.

Note the white lithium grease on top of the head supports and the grease zerk on the bottom of the head.

[image]
[image]

Reelin'

Eagle river, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool visual! Thanks!

I see your using the OEM pucks.

I'm using the Turnover Ball setup. (B&W model 1314)

I'm trying to figure out which way I put in the big square post. Position 1 or Position 2. Per the install manual it says for some Rams use position 2 but they don't tell you which Ram models position 2 is applicable for.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Reese Signature Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS