|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Portable Waste tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hbrady

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved my Tote-N-Store 20123 25 Gal tank until I forgot to move it when moving my camper. Ended up mashing a wheel and I'm finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get parts. Now I have a $230 paper weight.

2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

hbrady

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Although others will disagree I never use my tote for Black Water. As previously mentioned it is virtually impossible to get all of it out so where does it get stored that the smell isn't a problem?

Agree 100%

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the Barker 4 wheel 42 gal one for 10 years and it works great. Pnuematic tires and very quiet. Don't think I've ever used it on the black tank. The gray is what gets full more quickly. My tanks are 40 gal, so one dump and I'm good for another 3 days or so.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 3 different Barkers and they all developed leaks. This current one is the largest one they make and it appears the leaks are around the bolts that hold the front wheel assembly on. I pulled the four bolts out and applied Gorilla Glue to the threaded inserts and bolts then re-assembled. After it set up I've not had another leak.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

I've had the Barker 4 wheel 42 gal one for 10 years and it works great. Pnuematic tires and very quiet. Don't think I've ever used it on the black tank. The gray is what gets full more quickly. My tanks are 40 gal, so one dump and I'm good for another 3 days or so.

Our former TT had 20 gallon black and gray tanks. With just me and my wife we never filled the black tank even though we try to use ample water during each flush. That being the case our portable tank was only used for gray water. Now that we've recently upgraded (40 gallon black and gray tanks) I'm guessing we will rarely use the portable even for the gray but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Although others will disagree I never use my tote for Black Water. As previously mentioned it is virtually impossible to get all of it out so where does it get stored that the smell isn't a problem?

Not sure what kind you have, but I've got no problems with smells from my Barker I've had for years now. (Thinking back, we got the tote when we got our first TT. I think that was 2004).

I have found to get everything out of the tank, after it finishes running (dumping), to simply tip it sideways and the remainder on the bottom will run out. I don't remove the hose at all.

At a dump station I can rinse it with the station water hose and clean it out. I transport it in the bed of my pick-up truck that has a shell. I keep the caps on it, and I've not had smells at all.

In the winter, I'll store it with the caps off and the slide valve open so air can circulate through it. It's stored in my garage, under my utility trailer, as it fit very nice there and out of the way. No smells.

At home (because we driveway camp all year round when not on the road), I can rinse it out with my garden hose and flush it down my septic tank. But often, I'll drain the black tank first and dump the tote. Then I'll drain the grey water second (after back flushing the black tank in the trailer), and the grey water will clean up the tank, just like the grey water does on your "stinky-slinky" hose. No smells, ever.

Yes, it takes an extra amount of effort, but for the convenience of not having to move your camper to dump the tanks every other day, well ... it's definitely worth it.

I can see where those folks who have larger tanks can go for several days. But for those of us with smaller tanks, the tote is priceless!

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 28 gallon tote-n-store that we purchased from someone off of Facebook. I paid $40 for it. We used it for the last time a few months ago at a state park. We have 50gal tanks. I only used it for grey water, and did not overfill it.

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2edgesword wrote:

mosseater wrote:

Our former TT had 20 gallon black and gray tanks. With just me and my wife we never filled the black tank even though we try to use ample water during each flush. That being the case our portable tank was only used for gray water. Now that we've recently upgraded (40 gallon black and gray tanks) I'm guessing we will rarely use the portable even for the gray but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Yes, I've taken it many times and didn't use it. But when you need it...you need it. I'm not breaking camp and hitching up just to go dump.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

out_for_a_rip wrote:

Hi Everyone - I am considering buying a portable waste tank for some longer trips we have coming up and am looking for advice. What is a good model? Do you recommend for both black and gray? My tanks are both 30 gallon, what size should I target?

Thanks in advance!
Depends on how many trips you want to take to the dump station. I've used my Thetford for both black and gray water. It has a pop yup indicator that tells me it's getting full. You can use gloves on the black water if it makes you feel better. But as others have stated, the black tank doesn't fill up as fast. I would look at the Barker tank with pneumatic tires. I'm not sure what size they come in. My last trip, I pulled my tank to the dump station since it was close. Other times, I tow it with my truck.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

I've had the Barker 4 wheel 42 gal one for 10 years and it works great. Pnuematic tires and very quiet. Don't think I've ever used it on the black tank.

2edgesword wrote:

Our former TT had 20 gallon black and gray tanks. With just me and my wife we never filled the black tank even though we try to use ample water during each flush. That being the case our portable tank was only used for gray water.

mosseater wrote:

Yes, I've taken it many times and didn't use it. But when you need it...you need it. I'm not breaking camp and hitching up just to go dump.

All good reasons to just not bother with a heavy wheeled tote tank and just use a set of inexpensive lightweight portable containers for off loading grey water. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Portable Waste tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.