|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> High Fluid Temperatures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the return trip from our Memorial Day weekend, we were climbing a good sized hill and things got hot. Engine water climbed to 250 degrees, engine oil reached 310 degrees and transmission fluid temperature reached 220 degrees. These temperatures seem to be at the upper limit of what is safe. The alarming thing for us is that we are in Minnesota, often thought of as flat land country. What happens when we travel in the mountains some place? What are the safe limits for these temperatures? And what can be done to our truck to help avoid such high temperatures in the future? Are there oversized radiators and transmission fluid coolers available? Or better fans for these units, etc.? The truck is a 2004 F350, V10 gas, 456 gearing, pulling a 10,500 5er.

2011 Crossroads Cruiser, CF325CKP
2004 F350, V10, CC, LB, 4X4, 456
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's 14 years old so core/fin separation is a possibility. As the radiator ages the fins can start to deteriorate and not shed heat. It's one thing to consider and it often starts in the corners.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You went way beyond what is safe for an eng IMHO (this is the internet so I'm sure someone else person will say they run theirs up to 350 degrees daily but I wouldn't). Next time stop and pull over so it can cool. Your lucky you didn't lose a head gasket and you still may.
I would start by a total servicing of the cooling system. Have radiator boiled out and checked, change antifreeze and thermostat (use OEM stat). Replace any belts hoses that are suspect.
Also, change that eng oil regardless of miles.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^^Oh yeah, that oil needs to be changed and it wouldn't hurt to change the transmission fluid too. Those temps are definitely not at the upper limit of what's safe, they are a ways beyond. Obviously the engine isn't going to fall apart tomorrow, but that oil is just about used up and won't do it's job well after being at that temperature more than momentarily.

The reason they put gauges on there is so you can back off when the temperatures start climbing, not to see how high it finally gets.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If me I would confirm gauges were correct. A "scan gauge" would be my choice to see if there might be an elect problem. Not to much money and good second back up just in case

Lwiddis

Plaskett Creek USFS - CA Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully you changed ALL those fluids if gauges were working properly.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the engine fan come on at all? Sounds like it didn't. We pulled a 5er weighing 12,800 w/ a '03 F250 6.uh-oh and never saw temps that high pulling hills in PA, TN, VA or those we encountered here in NY.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

IBcarguy

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You were definitely overheating. If equipped, you might want to check the radiator fan clutch. If not engaging soon enough or slipping it will cause an overheating problem. Seems like I read that somewhere about the V10 Fords.
I too, would be suspect of a 14 year old radiator. Newer, better radiators might be worth looking into. I also agree with others that your fluids are now roasted and should be replaced.

* This post was edited 06/05/18 12:12pm by IBcarguy *

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your transmission fluid may be OK. My 2007 Escalade used to get up to 215 to 225 routinely when towing mountain passes. A GM mechanic told me not to worry because a warning message doesn't come on until 250, and then if you pull over and let it cool down, you would still be OK. It never got that high.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

^^^^^^Oh yeah, that oil needs to be changed and it wouldn't hurt to change the transmission fluid too.

I worked in transmission engineering for one of the Detroit 3, admittedly 30 years ago. 220F is no problem for ATF. Even the stuff we had back then was good for over 250F.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> High Fluid Temperatures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS