|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Re test 2018 F150 Diesel takes on Ike Gauntlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This time with the production calibration.

Enjoy...

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/18 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the money pouring in via sales we are seeing massive R&D spent on trucks and SUVs. Enjoy, it won’t last...like minivans.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if any of the truck builders want a real test?? give a brand new truck to a well seasoned rv,er for six months. they,ll show a real test.

Targa

Castle Rock, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think these guys do a good job, I like their reviews. The Eisenhower grade is pretty rough, if you haven't experienced it you will realize it is pretty demanding once you do. Looks like Ford got the mapping worked out for this truck, hopefully it carry’s over to the rest.
I really like these new trucks but the MSRP on these things is just ridiculous.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My takeaway from that was buy the Ecoboost.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

DirtyOil

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They did it twice and again, they circled the mistakes. [emoticon]

2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I said this before but what is the purpose of this truck with a small diesel engine? Who is the target consumer? Fuel economy? Not when diesel cost more and not to mention maintenance costs more. Less capable and more expensive than Eco boost, I'm assuming less payload too.

Not being sarcastic but who are the manufacturers aiming for with these small diesels?

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the advancement of gas engines in the last few years I don't know if there would be a market for these small Diesels, time will tell.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

I know I said this before but what is the purpose of this truck with a small diesel engine? Who is the target consumer? Fuel economy? Not when diesel cost more and not to mention maintenance costs more. Less capable and more expensive than Eco boost, I'm assuming less payload too.

Not being sarcastic but who are the manufacturers aiming for with these small diesels?

Dan

The main purpose of these small diesels is to increase their CAFE numbers. The mileage a manufacturer has to achieve changes year over year depending on the weighted average mpg and footprint of the vehicles they sell. If they don't hit this mileage number then their are some pretty hefty fines. So in order to ensure that they do hit this number, they sell vehicles like this even though their is a very small market for them to bring up their average mileage number while keeping their footprint average high. Basically it is better to at least make some profit or break even than paying millions in fines.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Bingo!
And there IS a market for them. Yes the newer 1/2 ton V8s and high strung 6 and now forthcoming 4 bangers get pretty decent unloaded mileage, but the baby diesels get about 10 mpg better across the board. At least the ecodiesel does, idk about the 3.0 ford but would expect similar numbers.
That's huge when you put some miles on a truck. Like my work truck, 5.3 Silvy. Right now I'm packing on close to 1000mkles a week, mostly highway. Yeah it does great at about 17 mpg. But 27 mpg would be really sweet!

And the little diesels will always be carped on here, because that's what old men in the coffee shop do! The rest of the world might like them!

The cost thing is a dumb argument, especially coming from people with 6 figures plus worth of rving hardware in their sigs. Those folks should speak into their bathroom mirror rather on line!
A $5k upcharge, over say an average of 10 year vehicle ownership is what? Less than $40 a month? I'd save more fuel $ than that in a week right now with a 10mpg boost. And resale, unless they turn out to be duds, will be higher than the eq gasser as a whole.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Re test 2018 F150 Diesel takes on Ike Gauntlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS