|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Payload Ratings are a farce

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dutch Oven Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent months shopping for a new Superduty, ended up ordering one that fit our criteria- XLT, Powerstroke, 3.55 rear-end, Camper package, fifth wheel, etc. We were debating back and forth between a F250 SRW and F350 SRW, ended up with the F250.

The dealer, technical specs in the promo material and everything else from Ford states the payload is 3,450 lbs. I knew with options this number would come down, especially with the diesel. But I was pretty shocked when the sticker on the door said the actual payload is 2,130 lbs. A whole 1,300 lbs less!! Our XLT is pretty basic, but I get it that the diesel and 4x4 adds to this weight, but a 2,130 payload is pretty light for any serious towing. I looked at a F350 SRW on the lot and the door sticker said 2,500 lbs, still really light.

Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it, I've pulled over 100,000 miles on an old F250 with lower ratings with the same camper with no issues. It's just really misleading all the material that is out there touting one number, but in real life, it's much different. My old truck was before the payload numbers were put on the door jamb, so I've been overweight for 17 years and didn't really know it. I have always been within my "owners manual" payload number and combined gross weights, but I'm sure I was 500+ lbs over on payload if they would have measured/reported payload the same in 2001.

I have to say, despite the disappointing door sticker payload numbers, you would never know it...these new trucks are light years ahead of the old ones in handling, power and stopping.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the RAWR/Rear Tire Max Load Ratings on that F250?

Those are numbers that REALLY count.

Stay at or under those load ratings and GO Camping!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be more than disappointed. Hopping mad. Heck, my well equipped 2015 Tahoe has a payload of 1,595.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

What is the RAWR/Rear Tire Max Load Ratings on that F250?

Those are numbers that REALLY count.

Depends on what your counting?
If you buying a truck to tow with get an F350, 3500 or full one ton.
Brochure ratings are based on strip model best case scenario vs. a real world actual truck that is not stripped and has options.
Every pound of options reduces the GVWR.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford specs have about a dozen different payload ratings each for the F250, F350 SRW, and the F350 DRW. Cab, bed, engine, even tire size, affect the payload rating. And the difference between the low and high of each is significant. Your salesman probably picked the F250 configuration with the highest rating and passed that off as the rating for all F250s.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s been a while since i ordered a truck (2002) and when I did i didn’t care about anything other than tow rating.

Can you not get payload info for the truck you order when you order it?

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

It’s been a while since i ordered a truck (2002) and when I did i didn’t care about anything other than tow rating.

Can you not get payload info for the truck you order when you order it?

You would think you could get a payload rating within about 100# of actual when ordering. Manufactures should know the weight of each option or option group, and be able to determine within 100# what the curb weight of the truck will be.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 311K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 02:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Ford specs have about a dozen different payload ratings each for the F250, F350 SRW, and the F350 DRW. Cab, bed, engine, even tire size, affect the payload rating. And the difference between the low and high of each is significant. Your salesman probably picked the F250 configuration with the highest rating and passed that off as the rating for all F250s.

Maybe I am missing the issue? I have never had a dealer slap handcuffs on me and lock me in a room until I signed the sales agreement. If you're not happy with the numbers on a certain new vehicle, why buy it, because the combinations are almost unlimited no matter who the manufacturer is, and at worst it will cost you a little more and possibly / most likely, some wait time.

Personally I would have no issue ordering a vehicle and if something was not as I expected when it came in telling the dealer to stick it. I guess if you signed some type of binding agreement beforehand, then thats a different story, but for the life of me I don't know why anyone would do that with anything.

Furthermore, while sitting at the campsite the week before, during, and the week after the holiday I did an unofficial, unscientific, and inebriated survey of what came in to a state park campground, and what left, as well as what I noticed while driving around the local area. I would say its over 80% 1/2 ton trucks towing TT's @ or in excess of 30', and a fair amount of 5ers to boot. And throw in the mix a lot of mid size SUV's towing all kinds of TT's some @ 29'-30'. The only place people worry about payloads is on this and other RV boards. The vast majority of the RV towing public think payload is when you cash your paycheck at the bank and they hand you a load of money. Despite the state park having 280 sites, and 4 or 5 other parks in the general area with probably over 2000+ sites total, I did not see one breakdown or one rig in splinters along any of the roads. I did smell some burning brakes from time to time going down the mountain.

* This post was edited 06/13/18 02:56am by Ralph Cramden *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

Maybe I am missing the issue? I have never had a dealer slap handcuffs on me and lock me in a room until I signed the sales agreement. If you're not happy with the numbers on a certain new vehicle, why buy it, because the combinations are almost unlimited no matter who the manufacturer is, and at worst it will cost you a little more and possibly / most likely, some wait time.

Personally I would have no issue ordering a vehicle and if something was not as I expected when it came in telling the dealer to stick it. I guess if you signed some type of binding agreement beforehand, then thats a different story, but for the life of me I don't know why anyone would do that with anything.

Furthermore, while sitting at the campsite the week before, during, and the week after the holiday I did an unofficial, unscientific, and inebriated survey of what came in to a state park campground, and what left, as well as what I noticed while driving around the local area. I would say its over 80% 1/2 ton trucks towing TT's @ or in excess of 30', and a fair amount of 5ers to boot. And throw in the mix a lot of mid size SUV's towing all kinds of TT's some @ 29'-30'. The only place people worry about payloads is on this and other RV boards. The vast majority of the RV towing public think payload is when you cash your paycheck at the bank and they hand you a load of money. Despite the state park having 280 sites, and 4 or 5 other parks in the general area with probably over 2000+ sites total, I did not see one breakdown or one rig in splinters along any of the roads. I did smell some burning brakes from time to time going down the mountain.

Those unofficial surveys are just that "unofficial"
It really depends on where you are at. Go to a local state park and you will find lots of vehicles that reflect the people did not travel very far to get there.
Go to a destination park and you will find vehicles that reflect these people traveled a long way.
Vehicle size and type will be the result of how you camp and how far you travel. The farther from home you travel the more concerned you will become about your towing parameters.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When ORDERING a new SuperDuty with a diesel engine, it just makes more sense to get the 350. While the 250 diesel, with camper package is just as capable as the SRW 350, it is limited to 10k GVWR for registration purposes. You can choose your GVWR on the 350, so payload number can vary, even though the truck is the same. It is simply the final curb wt of truck, as ordered, minus the GVWR ordered.

In reality, if the 250 diesel is not capable, you may as well move right to the 350 DRW.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Payload Ratings are a farce
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS