RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Just a few things to stir the pot.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just a few things to stir the pot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 03:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't they just make everything with LED from the factory all around the RV??? Inside and outside?...WTH?? Antiquated building tech and the old school of RV building needs to bow out...get in the now. This is where the builders can and should offer new tech...come on now.. we as consumers are getting the sham!! Forget the old school lighting. OH! but now it gets so expensive and they can't make a buck? The most seasoned RV people would pay to have something that will last and consume less power but I just want to know why we can't make them lighter and way more warmer?...someone just has to find a way...I have a question..an airplane can fly at 30 thousand feet with temperatures at -50 below with a skin no more than 4 inches and keep the temperature at a 65 to 70??...how is that possible?? Someone please explain that..regardless of the RV world on earth,. Explain it to us how is that possible?? Air friction perhaps? Regardless, I still question the builders bottom line. Bigger is not always better...slides are pretty much out.... the maintenance, weight, and leakage is not worth it ...but it just gets more complicated and this should not be what camping with an RV should be about...ok slam me all you want but...this is what we do here. Open opinions are welcome just don't slam me personally... I just think we have gotten to big and it is not where I want to go....I love to glamp and tents are out in my opinion but the RV has pushed the limits as to size and functionality...agree? disagree? Open for discussion...

* This post was edited 06/13/18 03:30am by KKELLER14K *

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'll bite.

Paragraphs are your friend.

LEDs are the best thing since sliced bread as far as RV lighting goes. The American made Northstar camper I took delivery of about a year ago has LED lighting all around from the factory. So at least one manufacturer agrees with you.

That airplane in your example uses an awful lot of energy to propel you around at 500+ mph at 35000+ feet. It also costs several 10s to 100s of milion $. Efficient heating of the cabin air or usage of expensive insulation materials are probably not the manufacturer's biggest concerns. Better heating systems have been around for decades (look up the Alde hot water heater). Many campers have insulated windows today. Building materials and design principles are changing gradually. But a truck camper is a very difficult optimization problem (size, weight, stability, materials and manufacturing cost, durability, ...). I guess you could have one built like an airplane. But at what price? And who would buy it? And would it actually be better in daily use, and by how much?

Bigger may not be better for everyone, but it is for some. Everyone has their specific requirements. RVers are a diverse group. Some want to offroad their camper in the desert. Others want to spend the winter in Alaska with the whole family. There is no one-size-fits-all-camper. What works fine for you may be unacceptable for another RVer. Let them buy a camper with 3 slideouts if they want them. Nobody makes you do that.

I agree that quality doesn't always match the price and the promises of the marketing brochure. That problem is hardly limited to the RV industry, though.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

classic 31

Cape Cod

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't let the little **** bother you.it only takes a few seconds to change a bulb. i used to get aggravated when we had a small rig with no slide .with all the junk we carry going to a bigger RV with a slide made all the difference in the world.if it leaks or need fixing oh well that will get done to but I will still enjoy all the extra room while it gets fixed.Let the dealers and the manufacturer worry about the big stuff and enjoy you time on this planet .at the end of the road it won't matter one way or the other because Medicare will end up with it all anyways.Hang in there.

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2013 Eagle Cap is all LED.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
2016 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebagos have been LED for years. As for heat, motorhomes heat the cabin just like airliners, excess heat from the engine. That's why, when a plane lands, the ground crew has to dash over and hook up the big ducts from the truck mounted A/C-furnace. Yes, slides need maintenance, but so does the entire RV..especially maintaining the caulking all over to prevent water intrusion. If you don't want to do maintenance, don't get an RV unless you want it to decompose into a pile of junk after a few seasons.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, regarding LED lighting. I definitely agree that is a necessity. I would not buy a new RV without it. Non-LED lighting is a sure sign that the manufacturer is cutting corners and not up to date. Skip that vendor.

Next, I have no idea how an airplane can insulate against the extreme cold. I can see why my RV is not as well insulated. The walls are very thin and light. Open cavities are 3/4 inch thick with 3/4 inch foam insulation. Other areas have no insulation and are merely 3/4 x 3 inch slats with exterior or interior panels.

As to the size of RVs, well that is a personal choice. There is no doubt that most RVs are designed for people who want the appearance and convenience of home while traveling. I opted for something much smaller, lighter and better for extensive travel. I have a Northstar Igloo. It has no slides. It is even less than 8 feet wide. I have a wet bath without a sink. One of the few non essential luxuries is a microwave which I use for storage.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most have gone LED.
A million things could be a whole lot better, I refuse to buy a new or late model because they’re so poorly built - but, if they did them right they’d cost an extremely prohibitive amount.

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
This is how they should have built them!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Most have gone LED.
A million things could be a whole lot better, I refuse to buy a new or late model because they’re so poorly built - but, if they did them right they’d cost an extremely prohibitive amount.

I have a Northstar TC. From what I can tell Northstar has been building campers the same way for decades. The only differences are minor and include some better more modern materials and accessories.

Even years ago, many if not most campers were built poorly.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary, my 2015 Winnie TT had two incandescent bulbs...stove hood and outside light...from the factory. Changing them was easy.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just a few things to stir the pot.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS