|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> battery disconnect switch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jy

south east mich.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently changed from a motorhome to a small travel trailer.I have the typical 12 volt battery mounted on the tongue in the plastic box.When in storage I like to unhook the battery.Rather than unstrapping the box,removing the cover and unbolting a cable has anybody found a switch that can be mounted in the side of the box?

99 Coachmen 322QB, Ford V10,18 foot Load King open trailer, 2007 Mustang GT Toad, Gibson exhaust,Royal Purple lubricants.Recently retired and planning on doing more RV'ing.

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one like this that I put in my RV and it does very well for complete isolation. I think it was around $30.
Blue Sea Systems marine. This model has connections for two batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Selector-Battery/dp/B000FOPE1G

2000 Minnie 31C V10

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jy wrote:

When in storage I like to unhook the battery.Rather than unstrapping the box,removing the cover and unbolting a cable has anybody found a switch that can be mounted in the side of the box?

I mounted a Blue Sea m-Series Switch on the side of my battery box years ago, still works just as it should. [emoticon]

[image]

Since this pic was taken I've replaced the flooded battery with an AGM and moved the box to the front pass through storage compartment but still use the switch. Highly reliable. [emoticon]

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A closer view ...

[image]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Juzaxadar wrote:

I have one like this that I put in my RV and it does very well for complete isolation. I think it was around $30.
Blue Sea Systems marine. This model has connections for two batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Selector-Battery/dp/B000FOPE1G

While I agree with Juzaxadar, he linked a 2 circuit switch (that I made a clicky).
You only need a single circuit switch: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Selector-Battery/dp/B000MMC914?th=1

[image]

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you're needing is a "Master battery switch". There are less expensive ones than Blue Seas for a single circuit disconnect. Some even have a removable key, should you need more security:
Keyed master switch

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

What you're needing is a "Master battery switch". There are less expensive ones than Blue Seas for a single circuit disconnect. Some even have a removable key, should you need more security:
Keyed master switch

I went thru two of those cheap switches in one season, they corrode inside and cease to make contact. My Blue Sea has been working ever since.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I went thru two of those cheap switches in one season, they corrode inside and cease to make contact. My Blue Sea has been working ever since.

Agree - I've got at least 4 of those keyed switches sitting in a junk drawer in my workshop and every one of them has failed, the Blue Sea m-Series switch I bought years ago and I've not had any issues with it at all.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The BLUE SEA switches contact areas are sealed and make before break to reduce arcing. I have been using everything BLUE SEA since 2008 and switches are still performing as they did when i got them...

The other thing I like about the BLUE SEA Products switches and bus bars etc is I get to use 5/16-inch ring terminals everywhere... Makes for neat connections.

I was introduced with the BLUE SEA products in my working years with the SPAWAR Navy bunch from Charleson SC building up things for their shore station electronics systems etc...

Roy Ken
[image]

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought a 1 year old used travel trailer that had a switch on the battery. While I was talking to the owner, I asked if he always had it turned on while towing and he said that he turned it on when he got to his destination. I asked him if he realized that he was not charging his battery while driving and that his breakaway switch had no power to activate if needed? He didn't realize that he was driving without the breakaway being useless. I talked to several people while I was on vacation and some of them were driving without the breakaway being powered also. Please check your systems.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> battery disconnect switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS