RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to remove/prevent standing water at campsite???

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > How to remove/prevent standing water at campsite???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/17/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:


And as people change the landscape of their campsites around me, my lot is being impacted and is receiving more over the ground water because of it.

So, he allows others to change the landscape of their sites, but won't allow you to change the landscape of yours?


----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004


darleyhavidson

North Dakota

Full Member

Joined: 01/25/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/17/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

darleyhavidson wrote:


And as people change the landscape of their campsites around me, my lot is being impacted and is receiving more over the ground water because of it.

So, he allows others to change the landscape of their sites, but won't allow you to change the landscape of yours?


The landscape changes include adding more gravel to pad, fencing, pulling trees, etc. All the small changes to landscape around me cause water to redirect, was the point I was trying to make.

I am attempting to get him to come up with a solution, but he has had 2 years and my patience is at an end. So, I am looking for some sustainable solutions.

4x4van

California

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/17/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you yourself have cleared trees, planted grass, etc (unless I misread your earlier posts), then I would bring in a load of topsoil, spread it out, and replant the grass. Tell the owner that you are (continuing to) improving the site at your cost.


We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/17/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect the trees and soil will benefit if the water is left standing to soak in periodically.
Immediate drainage every time nearly eliminates this natural process.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/17/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

installing a french drain to redirect the water to a place where it wont harm anything else would be the best bet.

Steve

Did this in WA state around my home, they called it a curtain drain and ran it into a utility ditch on one side of the property.

Possible to lease another site next year and not have to deal with this?


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/17/20 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This talk of French drains, pumps and hoses for standing water that occurs a few days a year is massive overkill. You can fix the problem with a wheelbarrow and a shovel if you have to. Add some fill. You can use fine gravel, some sand and some loamy soil. Topsoil has a lot of organic matter in it. It will be sticky and will not drain that well. Use topsoil only the top.

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

Full Member

Joined: 01/25/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/18/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:



Possible to lease another site next year and not have to deal with this?


Possible, but not likely. There is a waiting list for lakeside sites. Plus I have put too much work into this site to leave it. And I have one of the nicest views, setups in the RV park.

I read about a dry well method, that I might give a go. Drill multiple vertical dry wells (6-8" in diameter) 4 foot deep. Sock off end of 6" perforated drainage pipe that has been inserted in hole and fill pipe with pea gravel. I figured this method would not cost a lot of money and I can drill a couple of test holes to see how the ground absorbs the water.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 09/18/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of multiple smaller holes I have used a plastic trash can with holes in the side, set in a hole with gravel around the sides, and a pressure treated lid I made with a drain attached to the lid by a short piece of PVC. I put a little gravel around the drain to prevent dirt from washing in. Worked great and could handle and disperse a good deal of water in a downpour.

Dave


Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36


darleyhavidson

North Dakota

Full Member

Joined: 01/25/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/18/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Instead of multiple smaller holes I have used a plastic trash can with holes in the side, set in a hole with gravel around the sides, and a pressure treated lid I made with a drain attached to the lid by a short piece of PVC. I put a little gravel around the drain to prevent dirt from washing in. Worked great and could handle and disperse a good deal of water in a downpour.

Dave


Fair point. My issue with digging one big hole is that if I choose the wrong spot or that spot does not absorb/drain water very well, than I am out that time and money.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/18/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Instead of multiple smaller holes I have used a plastic trash can with holes in the side, set in a hole with gravel around the sides, and a pressure treated lid I made with a drain attached to the lid by a short piece of PVC. I put a little gravel around the drain to prevent dirt from washing in. Worked great and could handle and disperse a good deal of water in a downpour.

Dave


Fair point. My issue with digging one big hole is that if I choose the wrong spot or that spot does not absorb/drain water very well, than I am out that time and money.


I'm hard of understanding; How do you not pick the right spot? Set a laser up, find the low spot. Bury a bucket so the brim is below grade. Put a cover on it, that will let water in. A bird bath or something to mark location, keep you off it. When your lake forms, move cover, drop pump pickup in bucket run 'til standing water is gone over the hill.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > How to remove/prevent standing water at campsite???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.