RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to calculate turn radius of fifth wheel for new driveway

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How to calculate turn radius of fifth wheel for new driveway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make a simple scale model?

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Truck Science link appears to be exactly what I’m looking for. It has a complete set of tools to determine track of truck and trailer with any wheel bases you choose for truck and trailer. Thank you very much. It says I can use it for free but you subscribe to their products. I’m trying to see if I can use it for free once because I have no ongoing need to calculate.

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you’re right about a scale model as a possibility. One of my grandkids no doubt has a truck and trailer toy that I might be able to use. I think this calculator on the Truck Science site is the ticket—if I indeed can use it once for free. Or even once for cheap. Otherwise I know the best thing is to try turning in a parking lot, but I don’t think I can do it before my friends get here with their equipment and materials. They do road work and are squeezing me into their schedule for just materials cost. I’m very appreciative and don’t want to hang them up. It’s a real opportunity.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/18 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You got to think like Red Green or "how would Red Green do this?" All you need is some inverted spray paint and of course duct tape.

What you do is go to your favorite parking lot and duct tape on for the outside radius of your fifth wheel rear bumper a orange inverted spray can and that would show your tail swing. On the inside radius of your circle tape a inverted yellow on the front corner of your fifth wheel and then a inverted red on your front bumper of your truck on the inside radius also. Use a little duct tape to hold the spray paint open and start driving circles.

Disclaimer: This was a joke for those that don't know better.

Seriously either a scale model with all the measurements including wheelbase, overhangs on truck and trailer, etc. or go to a parking lot with some orange cones to drive thru. And bring a 100' tape with you

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I’ll let you know what I come up with.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the local Uni or Jr. Coll. and have some nerd there figure it out. Give them the measurements of your a) driveway, b) distance between pin and center of axles, c) width of truck & trailer, d) distance from center of axles to the =rear=. Bet it won't cost you more than a couple pizzas and a case of beer. [emoticon]

Lyle

* This post was edited 07/16/18 09:19am by laknox *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/18 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried for the same reason. It comes down to a lot of variables though. The truck wheels follow a different path than the trailer wheels, and you need to consider the path the back end of the trailer follows as well if there are obstacles.

I ended up just driving the most natural route i could find. I stopped when I was heading the other way and painted the boundaries of the inner and outer wheel paths left in the grass. Then I drove it a couple of more times trying to follow the first path to make sure it was a smooth route. Finally, I drove it again a couple of more times, turning a little early and a little late to see how that changed the route, and adjusted my borders.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A: parking lot big enough to turn a full circle.

B: a friend (or spouse) with a can of spray paint and a sense of humor.

Plan to go around the full circle three times.

circle 1 - paint a dab about every ten feet where the inside front wheels of the truck track.

circle 2 - paint a dab where the inside front wheel of the trailer tracks.

circle 3 - paint a dab where the outside tail of the trailer tracks.

Connect the dots if you wish.

Remember that results in the real world will probably be wider than under controlled conditions.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the proposed location for the driveway relatively flat with solid ground?

If yes, just drive the proposed driveway and mark it out as you go.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't it be easier to back it in when you return from a trip so you can pull it out easily when you're ready to leave on the next trip?

My thinking is it's easier to back it in to the driveway from the street since you can pick your spot as far as timing the process and once you have the trailer partially in the driveway and the truck out of the street you can take your time getting the trailer line up how you want to park it.

I have a 32.5' travel trailer that I park in my drive. You can't back it straight in. When I get home from a trip I've got a 1/4 mile view up and down the road. I wait for a clear spot (no car in that 1/2 stretch) and get the trailer somewhat lined up so the end of the trailer is right at the entrance of the driveway. I back it into the driveway to the point where my truck is out of the street (takes about 20 ~ 30 seconds) and then, with no concerns about blocking traffic, I spend as much time as I need getting the trailer straighten up in the drive and leveled (3 ~ 5 minutes). Pulling out for the next trip takes all of 10 seconds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How to calculate turn radius of fifth wheel for new driveway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.