RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Almost destroyed my 37’ RV, on an 8’8” Low height bridge

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Almost destroyed my 37’ RV, on an 8’8” Low height bridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dotcommer

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

RV trip wizard shows low clearance 12 4 in Bedford at Harris road - many underpasses that are arched have lower clearance at the sides - we ran into this in California a few month ago

That was the exact case, the right lane was showing 8’8” as the height, the center of the bridge was higher. That is why I stopped, switched over to the left lane, and slowly went through and made it.

polly sue

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The parkways in NY near the city and Connecticut forbid trucks of any kind, period. You should have been pulled over and made to exit. The signs are everywhere and on all printed maps. You can’t even drive a car towing a u-haul trailer. The key word is parkway.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those parkways are soooo scary!! Glad you made it. Watch any parkways approaching NYC from Connecticut. All have those tiny bridges. Also Storrow Drive in Boston

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/18 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a Google Maps street view link showing signage on the parkway the OP was on. Overhead sign says "passenger cars only" and words painted on the road say "no trucks low bridge". I can only assume the rest of the access points to this parkway have similar signs.
LINK

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

dotcommer

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Here's a Google Maps street view link showing signage on the parkway the OP was on. Overhead sign says "passenger cars only" and words painted on the road say "no trucks low bridge". I can only assume the rest of the access points to this parkway have similar signs.
LINK

Just retraced my tracks, and you will see there are several entrances onto Saw Mill with no signs about "No Trucks" I did find some entrances that had signs about no trucks.

This road has no sign

This sign is covered by a tree. this was captured by google several years ago, by now, you probably can't even see the sign.

dotcommer

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

There are HUGE signs warning of LOW BRIDGES before getting ON the Saw Mill Parkway.... Read the signs, not the phone... unless it is a truckers app with low clearance, don’t use it towing...

I use the Saw Mill for every trip to CT from PA, There is no way to get on the Parkway without seeing a sign... Or so I thought....

Just retraced my tracks, and you will see there are several entrances onto Saw Mill with no signs about "No Trucks" I did find some entrances that had signs about no trucks.

This road has no sign

This sign is covered by a tree. this was captured by google several years ago, by now, you probably can't even see the sign.

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove semi's for over 30 years, never happened to me.
I hope you have made an accurate measurement of RV height and even put a label near the drivers seat to keep you on your toes.
It can be a very simple/expensive mistake!

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/18 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowclearances.com has many low clearances that Garmin doesn't and vice-versa and AITA has more. No one app, device or map has them all.

-jbh-

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/18 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sounds like you got on the Merritt Parkway in CT from the Saw mill in NY. When you are driving at 60 mph it is very hard to read some
of these signs, in big letters it says No Commercial vehicles and one would think I'm OK not a commercial vehicle, then in smaller letters it says no vehicles over 7500 lbs and a few other warnings. All these bridges are arched and some even in the middle you won't make it through. Glad you made it through OK.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/18 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you travel around this country you will find MANY things that are not on your maps or GPS. All you can do is be vigilant, read all of the warning signs, and drive carefully on roads that are new to you.
In Zion National Park in Utah, there are tunnels where they stop traffic in the other direction so RV's can travel down the center of the road to avoid hitting the tunnel roof that slopes to the sides.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Almost destroyed my 37’ RV, on an 8’8” Low height bridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.