|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Breakowns while travelling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to towing.
1st Coachnet. Good Sams. AAA and most all roadside assistance firms do not own or operate tow trucks. They contract. With companies like Gouch and sons in Detroit. Who sent the nearest tow truck when I got stuck Way too small (but got it done anyway. My Strong mine + his strong back miracles happen). It is common to send the nearest truck to "Triage" the incident and then send what is needed to do the job .

As you can guess. I know how and where to hook up my RV to be towed... But then I spent a few years working for a towing company and swiftly found I knew "Rigging" better than most of their drivers.. It's not that hard. Simple physics. But it helps when you break down.. Even if it's only a car.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bill1374

northern New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/18 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a Dutch Star MH and after getting it the way we wanted, headed south for 3 weeks in Florida. Got into North Carolina and got an overheat warning, Water pouring out of the side radiator. Coachnet got us to Cummins Atlantic in Kenly where diagnosed as needs a radiator, total bottom rotted away. Spent three days there on their hookup and one day in a motel till it got fixed.

Went back to a fifth wheel a couple of years later, headed for Florida again and had a rear wheel smoking on 95 in the middle of Georgia. Spent 4 hours on the side of 95 waiting on a service truck and then 3 hours getting in back together with new bearings.

Went back to a MH (current rig) headed back north and lost the alternator in Brunswick GA. Got towed to Blackshear GA and spent 2 days waiting on a new alternator.

I would avoid Florida so these things don't happen but I'll be darned if I'll spend a winter in northern NY when I can go south.

KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here I sit in Montreal with the starter on my truck just went. 3rd time since the end of May. Original one lasted 9 years and nearly 190,000 km. Replacement lasted 6 weeks and now this one about 6 weeks too. I have CAA so truck is getting towed to the local dealer in the morning.

Had bearings go twice on the trailer. Once in a provincial park and the park maintenance guy drove me into town for parts and then fixed for me to get home. Second time an hour out of Myrtle beach and DD gets hungry and sure enough bearings went (think brake seized first) and was running on spindle. AAA flat bedded the trailer into Myrtle for a new axle.

Before we had the trailer broke a front spring on a Windstar coming home from Florida and spent an extra weekend there until they could fix it.

Stuff happens. Just have to deal with it. I have CAA Premier RV which has come in handy over the last 2 years.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/18 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a break down yet (knock on wood) but have passed many a RVer on the side of the road with the hoods up. Stopped to help a few, mainly ones that I deemed didn't have computers and sensors all over the engine.

I know my engine inside and out, my finger prints are all over every single part of it. Have rebuilt the stater and alternator, rebuilt the injection pump, deleated every single sensor making the motor 100% mechanical and computer free. Short of a bottom end rebuild I would find the parts and fix it myself. I do carry a extra water pump, fan belt, fuel filters and a complete toolbox.

I guess my one scary moment was with my old Army truck returning from Ensada Mexico. A transmission cooler line fractured and started leaking. I stopped at a auto parts store and bought all the ATF they had determined to get back to the USA. Even though the boarder wait was over a hour and I had to start and stop the engine probably 300 times we made it to Del Mar, Ca before I called it quits.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I alway travel with a toolbox with what I need to fix anything that can be done away from home.

I replaced the radiator on our maiden voyage with the current camper.

Had the high pressure side power steering hose start squirting fluid on one trip, small crack in it. Mcguyverd that one. Tied it tight with some shop rags, then zip tied the rags as tight as I could. Actually worked!

I always pack zip ties, duct tape and JB weld for limp home fixes.

Fixed a trailer light wiring issue in a walmart parking lot, had to replace the 7 pin connector because it kept tripping fuses.

Changed gear oil in a truck stop parking lot because the rear gears ate themselves and the fluid got hot enough to melt the paint off the diff cover and axle tubes. I only changed the oil because we had another 4 hours to home and I was doing everything I could to get us there. Rear howled all the way home but other than noise it got us there.

That's just the Suburban in my sig. I have tons of stories from other trips and vehicles.

It can happen, just have to be prepared. Not to scare you, I've had plenty of problem free trips as well. I am proactive with fixing and inspecting the truck, but unexpected things do happen. The tricky ones suck in the moment, but make great stories later! [emoticon]

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10 Gears
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/18 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had our share of incidents over the years & some 200,000 truck miles. One one has been a rip off. A BS shop in Laramie, WY. when we were still relative newbies. All others have been great & gone the extra mile to get us back on the road in quick time.

We have work needing to be done during our next trip. Today reviews on any business are easy to find. It is in their interest to step up their game for the customer. I have a shop picked out, briefed their shop guy on what needs to be done, got the labour rate. His time estimate is about the same as mine. All I need to do is call back & book a time ASAP for them to book me in.

I expect this to be a good, although expensive, experience.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/18 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dread the thought of breaking down. I am very proactive with maintenance but you can't prevent everything. It only takes one idiot to not see you and then it's over. It doesn't take much to trash a motorhome. My wife is in a wheelchair. If we break down, my problems begin with wondering how I would get her out considering the lift extends out about 6' and 4' for a wheelchair. If i manage to end up next to a nice flat level area fine, but just about all road edges slope down from the break down lane. Tow trucks won't tow with someone inside so she needs to come out. If blocked, will have to call 911 to have someone help me carry her out and back into her wheelchair so we can get into toad. The other choice is to not RV at all. The older I get, the more I worry. I laugh now at my youthful ignorance when we used to take 1K+ trips without a toad. Now I wish I could two 3 of them.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a NeverLube bearing slide in the hub because the "C" clip was not seated at the factory and while maneuvering the curves along the California Coast South of Carmel the rotor contacted the caliper mounting bracket. Pulled over and there was HOT popping coming from one wheel.

I used my trusty TrailerAid and removed the wheel and removed the caliper as it was so hot the rubber boot around the piston was melted. I cut a pc of plywood and slipped it between the brake pads and lashed the caliper out of the way and slapped the tire back on and continued 150 mile to my destination.

Contacted Kodiak, they replaced everything under warranty and fixed at my camp site when the parts arrived a couple days later!

No hill for a climber!!!

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my story, happened just a few weeks ago, leaving Red River, NM, climbing Bobcat Pass, limped into Eagle Nest, NM, and then the real fun began trying to get it fixed. Transmission control module and internal mode switch in the transmission went out (Duramax w/ Allison). $3K and a week later we made it home. Lesson learned, if your tow vehicle breaks around Taos, NM, don't let them tow it to Taos, take it to Santa Fe.

NM woes

Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far his trip I covered the toad with Dextron II from a pressure switch leak and then anti-freeze from a leak in the radiator expansion tank. Both were fixed on the road, although I needed to get to a Ford dealer for the expansion tank.

Note to self: don't buy a white toad.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Breakowns while travelling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS