|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Breakowns while travelling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have swapped three flat tires myself and one for a cracked wheel.

Had the alternator go out 100 miles outside of Gillette WY. We rolled into town getting power from the trailer solar panels that feed the 12v system of both truck and trailer. Seemed promising with a Ford dealer in town. Would not get me in and two more shops I begged but everyone was booked for the day. I guess 1pm is a bit late around there for easy money. I was actually stopped on an O'Reilly's parking lot and decided to swap it myself. Full delay was less than two hours and were were back on the road to Mount Rushmore.

Had a fuel pump go out in Mammoth Mountain over the New Years holiday. Found a local guy to diagnose on New Year's eve to order the part to be installed New Year's day. Hard part was finding a tow truck but he came out of Bishop for a short tow for $80 cash.

Not real eventful. But that is all I have. Truck has been very good with 200k miles.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/18 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over 25 years ago I lost a trailer bearing on 401 going from Niagara to Detroit. It was the middle of the night. Left the trailer on the side of the road with a blown out tire. The next day was Saturday. Almost every place in that small town was shut down. I did find a flat bed to tow the pop up in. It took a lot of phone calls but he found a hub about an hour away. It is a good thing because everything is/was shutdown on Sunday.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to mention in my prior post that after my experience I do not travel on weekends anymore.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Fryer5

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/18 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Breakdowns? On the road?
Maybe once or twice....
Blown tire that went through the floor of the trailer
Rear axle on suburban ate the gears and had to be replaced
Fuel pump on “new to me” suburban quit on the road just south of Atlanta
Rear end on “new To me” suburban went out (this one in a 2500 burb)
Fuel pump in suburban went out (who knew the 2500’s had two pumps?)

The only one of these that left me on the side of the road was the second fuel pump, it quit at the same time the rear end was howling. And it really didn’t leave me on the side of the toad completely, I was able to make an exit but it was 4 hours from home. I towed the camper home with my dads 1500 pickup and borrowed an f550 from my neighbor and went back and retrieved the suburban on a flat bed trailer. Nothing bounces worse on the highway than an unloaded f550 pulling an unloaded car trailer. My kidneys still hurt.

2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.
2008 Keystone Passport Ultra-light 290BH

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/18 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may look into GSRSA, but for now I can still do some repairs and carry necessary tools. That and have a lot of available credit!
Have savings also, but pay with a card with a protection plan so you can easily challenge bad service!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/18 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On I-70 going through Avon CO we had a wheel smoking - got off the Interstate and managed to pull into the Avon City bus barn parking lot. Major wheel bearing failure (caused by me pumping too much grease into the bearing buddy). The wheel was actually coming off the axle. Called AAA and they contacted the towing service. Getting the right kind of flat-bed truck and trailer was going to take a while so we stayed overnight at a hotel. The next day the towing service was able to load it up onto the flat-bed and carry it 20 miles to the nearest repair shop that AAA had identified. Axle was damaged and needed to be replaced. We left the trailer at the shop (after emptying the fridge) and drove home (800 miles) in the truck. A month later we drove back up, picked up the trailer and picked right up where we left off on the rest of the trip. Good thing we're retired and can handle unexpected changes. All part of the RV experience. Now I let the pros pack my bearings.

* This post was edited 08/27/18 09:28pm by Dave5143 *

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/18 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2015 we broke down on I-65 just south of Birmingham, Alabama. At the time I had Good Sam roadside assistance. Blew the engine in our truck. Called GoodSam Roadside assistance explained to them what was going on. After 4 &1/2 hours and many phone calls to GoodSam to find out was going on, a tow truck to tow the truck and a pick up to tow the 5er showed up.
They towed us to their garage to drop truck off, then towed the 5er to a campground near by.
We stayed their until we could figure out what we needed to do.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had 3 significant break-downs while traveling, all with our Hybrid TT. Our first Tow Vehicle was a Chevy Astro Van. On our second big trip out, the fuel pump failed about 80 miles from our Destination. AAA Plus with RV towed us to our destination, dropped the HTT at the campground and then towed the Astro to the nearest Chevy dealer.

When we went to Disney (from NJ) back in 2005 we had 2 incidents. The first on the way down, the radiator started to leak after an overnight stop just outside of Baltimore, MD. We were at a Walmart, so I bought some anti-freeze, filled up and drove to a Chevy dealership we were familiar with. They had the radiator in stock and had us back on the road after a few hours. We dropped the HTT at a Target across the street from the dealership since the dealership didn't have room for it. On the way back, the transmission lost first and second gear as we entered Virginia. I didn't realize it at the time since we were traveling at highway speeds. When we stopped south of Fredericksburg, VA for a bathroom break, I realized the transmission was on its way out. We limped to the Fredericksburg, VA KOA and spent the night. Called AAA for a tow to the nearest GM Dealer and left the TT at the KOA. We spent another night at the KOA and then took a taxi to the dealership when they were finished replacing the transmission.

The final breakdown was after we switched to a Nissan Xterra as our tow vehicle. I was returning from an off-roading trip at Rausch Creek in PA. I was a few miles from Hamburg, PA when I noticed I didn't have any passing power. I planned to get off at the next exit when all of a sudden the rear driver's side tire went bouncing up I-78, jumped the jersey wall and then settled just inside the jersey wall. Apparently, when I swapped my off-road tires on the Xterra to my street tires, I must have forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on the rear driver's side tire. We lived in GA at the time, but my parents were about 100 miles away. AAA Plus with RV towed truck and trailer to my parents. Turned out to be 99 miles (AAA Plus tows first 100 miles free).

The only other problem we had on the road was a blowout on our Class C motorhome. Blew an inner dual tire on the curb side. AAA sent a mobile tire repair company to put on our spare tire.

Traveling far from home on a tight budget is a recipe for disaster.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/18 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

I may look into GSRSA, but for now I can still do some repairs and carry necessary tools. That and have a lot of available credit!
Have savings also, but pay with a card with a protection plan so you can easily challenge bad service!

I simply don't trust many people to do a QUALITY job. So as long as I am able I will always do my own repairs.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/18 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've blown out most of our tires over the years, before realizing the rest were dry rotted. This is usually on the interstate, and we spend a few hours thankful that we're in an RV with food and entertainment, rather than a car. Road service is a God send, and we gladly pay for it, as well as carry a proper spare.

Otherwise, we've been fortunate to have good mechanics for preventative maintenance at home. Most of those encountered on the road are neither cheap nor quick. I'd head to one of the many Ford dealers first if needed.

This hobby requires some disposable income, patience, and flexibility. And plenty of maintenance.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Breakowns while travelling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS