|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> trip planner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
smileyblank

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco wrote:

Do you use a Garmin GPS? Then you can go to this link and download Garmin Basecamp. It's free and it works great. You can plan routes in Garmin Basecamp on your Mac and then upload the routes and waypoints directly into the Garmin and let it navigate you. We just completed a 7171 mile trip through all of the eastern Canadian Maritime Provinces and did all of our route planning with Basecamp.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

I don't use a Garmin...YET. I'll definitely keep this in mind. thanks!

dhfreedman

Boston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/18 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally got Trip Planner to work for me. Simple fix, no idea why it works. I just went into the browser settings and allowed popups for the trip planner page. Yes, I know, there are no popups on the Trip Planner. But allowing them fixed all the problems I've had, including not showing a planned route, and not allowing me to add a stop. Nothing else worked, and I tried everything.

Now that I have it working, I have to say it's sort of useful, but it's also sort of lame in other ways. It won't warn you of some well-known RV restrictions, like no RVs of any size on any NY state road called a "parkway" (e.g. the Taconic Parkway), and no non-empty propane tanks of any size on any vehicle in Boston tunnels (even if the tank is turned off--and yes, the Mass. state police have been known to pull RVs over, and it's a huge fine). And Trip Planner doesn't come close to flagging all the low-clearance bridges on non-major roads, though that's a tall order and I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to (but I really wish it did).

And given all the complaints on the Forum about Trip Planner not working, with no helpful response just about ever from Good Sam support, I'd say there's no support or maintenance for Trip Planner, which I'd guess means important new RV/road restrictions probably won't make it into the planner.

But hey, it's free for members, so while it isn't the great perk that it would be if Good Sam put some work into it, it's an OK one that ought to be used with caution.

wxtoad

Sturbridge MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/18 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using Road Trip Planner for some time - quite happy with it. A nice feature is the ability to link it to The Ultimate Public Campground Project.

2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice

* This post was edited 10/22/19 03:51am by DilanYah *

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's very important for me to plan a trip thoroughly, this planner may help https://travelsites.com/trip-planner/. Know your comfort zone. Have a plan B. Don't make mountains out of mole hills. Yes, you can show up in a different country and find accommodations but why waste time. At a minimum have your first night's lodging arranged.

* This post was edited 10/25/19 01:46am by DilanYah *

KO

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Trip Wizard

X4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> trip planner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS