RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Pulled the Trigger on LiFePo4

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Pulled the Trigger on LiFePo4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
egarant

Mission Viejo CA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/11/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting ready to purchase the LifeBlue Lithium batteries as I want the bluetooth monitoring advantage. Also they just came out with a 125 amp hour group 31 size.

Progressive Dynamics sells a drop in replacement charger portion for their charger/converters that have a lithium ion charge profile.

I am going to wrap my batteries in a battery blanket that will help insulate them from heat and cold.

Like these two:

Battery Blanket 1

Battery Blanket 2


2013 RAM 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 DRW HO Cummins/Asin Trans, 4.10's
2013 Eagle Cap 950
280 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Blue Sky MPPT Charge Controller, Lifeline Batt, Torklift Tiedowns/Superhitch, FOX 2.0 Performance Series Shocks w/CD adj.


pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/18 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Unless you plan on camping below -4 F (-20 c) I would NOT use those blankets.

egarant wrote:

I am going to wrap my batteries in a battery blanket that will help insulate them from heat and cold.

Like these two:

Battery Blanket 1

Battery Blanket 2



Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

adamis

Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

Unless you plan on camping below -4 F (-20 c) I would NOT use those blankets.

egarant wrote:

I am going to wrap my batteries in a battery blanket that will help insulate them from heat and cold.

Like these two:

Battery Blanket 1

Battery Blanket 2


I think I would have to agree, especially in warm weather climates. The batteries when charging generate a certain amount of heat and if you wrap them up in an insulated blanket, you will trap that heat in. You want as much ventilation as possible in warm weather.

In cold weather, if you are going to be consistently in extreme environments that are below the operating temps of the battery I think I would look for a way to put the battery in a heated compartment first before going to a blanket. The coldest temps will be seen at night when you likely will not be charging and thus won't have the internal heat generated to make the blankets effective.

The nice thing about these LiFePo batteries is the BMS system takes the guesswork out for you by preventing charging in temps beyond what is safe.


1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper


Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/13/18 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking forward to the long term feasibility report!

I admit, I had to look at the website to see what the big deal is. A G-note for a battery seems pretty steep, until I realized it is a lithium ion battery. We may need locks for them like Fastguns. LOL!

Anyway... I bought a Phantom 2 quadcopter a few years back, which also uses lithium ion batteries. I had read, but failed to heed, that lithium ion batteries should NOT be stored at full charge. They should be stored at 30-40% or so charge. My thinking was... What's the point of a battery if it isn't full when I need it...so I kept them at full all the time. They lasted about 2 years before losing their ability to lift the QC off the ground. Bought new ones, and I leave them at about 30% capacity. I only charge them to full before a flight.

So I will be curious what the long term report is on this battery. Will you keep it at full charge when not in use? And if you do, how will it hold up over time?

Thanks,
-Eric


Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

adamis

Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/18 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a response from BattleBorn regarding some of the questions people have posted...

When storing the battery, you can fully charge it, then just leave it. It will only discharge a percent and a half or so per month.

As far as the temperature go’s. On the hot side, the BMS will shut the battery down once it reaches 135 degrees F.

As far as cold weather, the battery will no longer accept a charge at 24 degrees F, but will continue to discharge until the temperature drops to -4 degrees F.


TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/12/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't seen it, BattleBorn just changed their warranty for a full 10 years on all their LiFePo batteries. This includes batteries that were already sold.

If you want to get the full charging speed out of these batteries, switch out your multi-stage converter for on that is designed for these batts. Progressive Dynamics sells a single stage converter that runs a constant 14.4 VDC charge (current tapers to zero when fully charged). But be warned. If you order the PD Converter from Amazon, there is only one seller. When I purchased mine from there, they shipped me a standard converter, and not the lithium version. And I had to pay the shipping to return it for a refund. I finally purchased mine from Best Converter for a fair price.

Jim


2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

adamis

Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TucsonJim wrote:

If you haven't seen it, BattleBorn just changed their warranty for a full 10 years on all their LiFePo batteries. This includes batteries that were already sold.

If you want to get the full charging speed out of these batteries, switch out your multi-stage converter for on that is designed for these batts. Progressive Dynamics sells a single stage converter that runs a constant 14.4 VDC charge (current tapers to zero when fully charged). But be warned. If you order the PD Converter from Amazon, there is only one seller. When I purchased mine from there, they shipped me a standard converter, and not the lithium version. And I had to pay the shipping to return it for a refund. I finally purchased mine from Best Converter for a fair price.

Jim


I did not know of this warranty change but that is fantastic. So far my experience has been very positive. I've not had issues with the batteries charging and the capacity seems to be sufficient for my needs. I just got back from my second trip to Pismo for the weekend. I have a portable 100w solar panel that I put on the roof and it topped up the battery during the day and we had plenty of power in the evening.

A couple of things I will change in the future...

1. Add permanent 200w panels to the roof.
2. Upgrade my DC-DC charging system with larger cables
3. Find a LiFeP04 compatible BMS display system.

gmctoyman

Lake Livingston, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2005

View Profile



Posted: 10/27/18 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe I was an early user of the BB batteries, almost 3yrs on mine. I replaced 3x grp 8 lifeline AGM (450# & 380 USABLE AH)in my Foretravel with 4 BB (108# & 380 USABLE AH) batteries. The Foretravel had a residential refer and 5cu ft chest freezer in it. Made a trip to Alaska, boondocking as much as possible, never had a problem. We downsized into a 24’ class C and I kept the BB batteries. I have 400-520 W of solar availability and with the batteries I can EASILY run 3 days with no sun at all. The folks a BB have been some of the best, most helpful I’ve ever delt with. They helped me set up my system, getting the correct parameters for my inverter/charger, battery monitor & solar controller from the manufacturer for their batteries. Coming out of Alaska, with the freezer full of fish I began to be a little concerned with the freezing temps. I sent BB an email on Sunday, and received a reply that afternoon. 24° on a Cell and the BMS would shut off that cell from charging, since mine were (are) enclosed I have not had an issue.


Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

work2much

Jackson Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/27/18 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

I am looking forward to the long term feasibility report!

I admit, I had to look at the website to see what the big deal is. A G-note for a battery seems pretty steep, until I realized it is a lithium ion battery. We may need locks for them like Fastguns. LOL!

Anyway... I bought a Phantom 2 quadcopter a few years back, which also uses lithium ion batteries. I had read, but failed to heed, that lithium ion batteries should NOT be stored at full charge. They should be stored at 30-40% or so charge. My thinking was... What's the point of a battery if it isn't full when I need it...so I kept them at full all the time. They lasted about 2 years before losing their ability to lift the QC off the ground. Bought new ones, and I leave them at about 30% capacity. I only charge them to full before a flight.

So I will be curious what the long term report is on this battery. Will you keep it at full charge when not in use? And if you do, how will it hold up over time?


Thanks,
-Eric


I can sort of report on this shorter term. I built a custom LFP battery system for our TC.

Here

Everything has exceeded our expectations. We have been using the system now for close to a year including a couple months of storage and non activity from charging or discharging which we just left the bank disconnected around 80% full. When we turned back on the monitors it was about where we remember leaving it. Very little self discharge.

We work the battery bank hard running a multitude of high load appliances, heating, air conditioning, cooking and all the little normal stuff like TV and charging computers. Most of our travels are in good weather. We spend our winters in the southwest where solar production is good.

I am planning on running a 1 year test of the system when we get back home to see what losses in capacity our battery bank has sustained in the first year.


2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

Full Member

Joined: 11/27/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/27/18 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread. Thanks.

How are the Battleborn doing now?

j.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Pulled the Trigger on LiFePo4
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS