|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Shenandoah National Park in April

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking of visiting Shenandoah NP the first week in April.
I have 3 kids, ages 16, 14, and 10.
Any recommendations on places to stay or things to do?
We have a 35 foot travel trailer. Full hook up is preferred but we'll settle for electric only if the campground is nice.
Thanks

2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know there are several places to stay, but I also know that the first week of April, the weather will be "iffy". You may have 70 degree weather or you may have 20 degree weather with snow. If you are going to be there for a week, you might even have both!

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

michigansandzilla wrote:

We have a 35 foot travel trailer. Full hook up is preferred but we'll settle for electric only if the campground is nice.
Thanks

The following ideas/statement/thoughts are just ME - So I'm not sure if/ they might work for YOU and your Crew. [emoticon]

First off - Weather is a little early - but with any Luck will be Great - So Options should be in your plans.

Hikes and views are probably a One Day Deal - This is not the Rockies, while still beautiful with views and some vistas just not the same as out West. (JMHO) - So I'll suggest that a Trip into Charlottesville might be an option, with the 16 YO UVA might stir some interest, not to mention a little history lesson.

Then if you are up for it a trip over to Williamsburg - Check to be sure it's not full of High school Field Trips?!? But again a lot of history with Bush Gardens and the walking tours of Old Colonial Williamsburg. as you will be there early the weather should still be Cool and walking and Biking will be Fun. If UVA was a hit the College of William and Mary might just also stir some Interest.

OK - I've totally dished your Trip - so to Complete the Loop maybe DC is in your future for the drive Home (Avoid Rush Hour) but the Museums and sites are for Real - Truely a National Park Experience that can never be seen/visited/experienced too often. I live just outside DC and we still go into town to visit the Sites......and the Kids when they are here will try to get their kids into town - again and again.

So there you go - a normal RV'ers reply - totally, well not totally, but close to Totally, dished your Questions, Having read a few of your posts from other trips - think this might at least stir your interest.

Anyhow, Great time to be in the area - Only thing I left out was the Possibility of seeing/visiting the Ocean - not a summer Trip but still - IMHO - a slight option (Think Assateague Island and the Horses)- Be sure to have Good Shoes/Boots/Rain Gear/Camera/Hats, sunglasses/...... weather is all over the map but often Great - Sites, in DC, are all over the map but always Great.

Best of Luck and let us Know what the final plan is,

Sorry - I'm not one to recommend camp grounds - I can remember a few but generally I visit an area not a CG[emoticon]

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

michigansandzilla wrote:

Thanks

The following ideas/statement/thoughts are just ME - So I'm not sure if/ they might work for YOU and your Crew. [emoticon]

First off - Weather is a little early - but with any Luck will be Great - So Options should be in your plans.

Hikes and views are probably a One Day Deal - This is not the Rockies, while still beautiful with views and some vistas just not the same as out West. (JMHO) - So I'll suggest that a Trip into Charlottesville might be an option, with the 16 YO UVA might stir some interest, not to mention a little history lesson.

Then if you are up for it a trip over to Williamsburg - Check to be sure it's not full of High school Field Trips?!? But again a lot of history with Bush Gardens and the walking tours of Old Colonial Williamsburg. as you will be there early the weather should still be Cool and walking and Biking will be Fun. If UVA was a hit the College of William and Mary might just also stir some Interest.

OK - I've totally dished your Trip - so to Complete the Loop maybe DC is in your future for the drive Home (Avoid Rush Hour) but the Museums and sites are for Real - Truely a National Park Experience that can never be seen/visited/experienced too often. I live just outside DC and we still go into town to visit the Sites......and the Kids when they are here will try to get their kids into town - again and again.

So there you go - a normal RV'ers reply - totally, well not totally, but close to Totally, dished your Questions, Having read a few of your posts from other trips - think this might at least stir your interest.

Anyhow, Great time to be in the area - Only thing I left out was the Possibility of seeing/visiting the Ocean - not a summer Trip but still - IMHO - a slight option (Think Assateague Island and the Horses)- Be sure to have Good Shoes/Boots/Rain Gear/Camera/Hats, sunglasses/...... weather is all over the map but often Great - Sites, in DC, are all over the map but always Great.

Best of Luck and let us Know what the final plan is,

Sorry - I'm not one to recommend camp grounds - I can remember a few but generally I visit an area not a CG[emoticon]

Thanks for the response. We've been to Assateague (beautiful), DC (wonderful), and we just returned from a 16 day trip out west to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We're currently looking for something low key, inexpensive, and 600 miles or less from home to keep to 1 day of driving. National Parks are a plus because I'm a National Park junkie.
Shenandoah fits the bill.

michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merrykalia wrote:

I know there are several places to stay, but I also know that the first week of April, the weather will be "iffy". You may have 70 degree weather or you may have 20 degree weather with snow. If you are going to be there for a week, you might even have both!

Yes we're aware thanks. It's spring break for the kids and we'd like to get out of the house. It's too far for us to go to Florida, etc. We have hats and gloves.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could see the Skyline Drive from my old house near the North entrance. CGs on the Skyline Drive are old with only basic amenities. They're nice, just not a lot for kids unless they're into nature and hikes. If you camp on the Drive near the Route 211 crossover, you can take day trips towards DC or west to Luray, where you'll find more kid-friendly stuff. I doubt you'll have snow, but maybe ice at higher elevations, in which case the Drive may shut down.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the campgrounds can accomodate your camper. Non of the campgrounds in the paek have hookups.We stayed at Big Meadows and they allowed generators. Loft Mountain is nice.If you don't have a generator,Sherando Lake is east of mile marker 18 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. They have electric.The problem with staying outside the park is it takes so long to get anywhere because the speed limit is 35mph.It takes 3 to 4 hours just to drive through the park.If you stay at Sherando,you could also see some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is a visitor center near the north entrance.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at Natural Tunnel SP in Virginia for a really low-key, off the beaten path area. There are lots of hiking trails, the "tunnel", caving trips, the "Devil's Bathtub" (google it for pics).

That's my territory and it is a great place.

lewisr

Howell, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

michigansandzilla wrote:

We're currently looking for something low key, inexpensive, and 600 miles or less from home to keep to 1 day of driving. National Parks are a plus because I'm a National Park junkie.
Shenandoah fits the bill.

of course you know, your 10yo is in 4th grade, wink wink.

'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've stayed at Andy Guest campground at Shennandoah River State Park. They don't have full hook ups but it's a nice campground and fairly close to Luray and Skyline Drive.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Shenandoah National Park in April
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS