RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Ford E-450 chassis spare tire -- or lack thereof

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C Ford E-450 chassis spare tire -- or lack thereof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been asking some questions about Class C's over the past month. Here's another.

Our 2019 Jayco Class C, on the Ford E-450 chassis (dually) has no spare tire. All of our travel trailers never came with them, but I always put one on (carried via bumper mount set up).

I have found a set up from eTrailer for the Roadmaster RM-195225 that slips in the receiver hitch. You gotta buy the wheel/tire from there.

Couple questions:

anyone using this type of setup (hitch mounted spare tire carrier?)?

if we went this way and got the spare tire mount, where do I get the spare wheel/tire -- it's not your average 5 lug wheel

should we skip this whole mess and just sign up for GS, Coachnet, FMCA, etc etc ???

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling
Dinghy: 2021 Ford Ranger XL

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would want to have the tire and wheel on board, plus have a road service.

I now use Coach-net for a road service and they responded in a timely fashion the times I needed them but I was near civilization at those times. I have no idea how it would work if they had to travel 50 miles to get to me.
I had to change my own tire on my former TC when my former road service (not Coach-Net) didn't respond because it was too far for them to travel.

I would use a rack like you are looking at, go on-line to find a wheel and tire combo .

What do you plan to use as a jack ? You might need a large low profile HD jack to lift your MH or use the hydraulic leveling jacks if you have them.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my new C4500 truck (Medium Duty with dual rear wheels) I was told the manufacturers stopped providing spares tires and wheels on larger trucks and chassis. This was due to the large number of folks being hurt when trying to change tires on motorhomes and other large vehicles. Most people do not have the proper equipment/tools to deal with the larger vehicles and tires or wheels.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup. Just about all vehicles today don't come with a spare.

There are several types of spare tire mounts for RV's.
I have used these two types successfully for many years.

This one is just for spare tire. buy at etrailer.com.
[image]

This one also can carry bikes, lawn chairs, etc along with spare tire.
buy at any RV store or RV dealership with parts store.

[image]

RV spare tire covers can be bought at dealerships and on line.

I show dogs so I strap my 4 ex-pens to the bike rack part. Been on my MH for years with no problem. You will find it's nice to have an extra space to carry your extra stuff AND your spare tire! [emoticon]

BTW: I would not pull out of my driveway without a spare tire on board my MH. Just joining a road side service will NOT help you if you don't have a spare on board to replace the flat one. They do NOT carry tires on their tow trucks.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently bought a gas 24' 2017 Class C with a Chevy 450 chassis. Has a spare tire and wheel on tire/wheel mount on the back wall above bumper-pretty much in the middle. Dlr. had to replace the tire because of cracks in rubber near the rim area. Friend of mine bought a new 2018 Mercedes diesel 24' Class C with no spare.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My philosophy about not having a spare on board is like getting dressed and not putting on pants. Might be ok around the house but anywhere else, not so good.

I have a spare on mine and if I could not physically change it, still would be cheaper than having a road service to a tire change off and on a rim in the boonies. A mounted spare makes life easier and much less expensive because, it's not if you get a flat, it's when you get a flat.

Happens to everyone sometime and the difference between being prepared and caught with no pants on can be appreciable, money wise.

Ponder that.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rather than a bumper mount find a compartment that it will fit in or a under frame rack. I don't think most RV bumpers will support a large tire & wheel. Or just carry a unmounted tire as a spare.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perfect opportunity to get some weight off the rear axle, mount it to a front receiver.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Perfect opportunity to get some weight off the rear axle, mount it to a front receiver.

X-2. You can get a receiver hitch that mounts on the frame. I've put a receiver hitch on our past 2 Ford E-350 and E-450 and put a bicycle carrier on/in it.

Dusty

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason many RVs are not coming with spare tires is because the dealers are ordering them without them to make the price of the unit a bit lower.

When shopping for a small Class C a couple of years ago I noticed this trend. When I looked at some Thor models, the salesman told me motorhomes no longer come with spare tires. I later learned from another salesman that wasn't true, you can get spare tires if the dealers order the units with them.

I ended up purchasing a Winnebago that came with a spare tire in the storage compartment. You can tell Winnebago designed a particular area in the storage compartment to hold the spare. If I'm not mistaken, I was told Winnebago does not give dealers the option to delete the spare tire when ordering the RVs.

BTW, I would never go without a spare unless the RV was a full size diesel pusher.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C Ford E-450 chassis spare tire -- or lack thereof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.