RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Ford E-450 chassis spare tire -- or lack thereof

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C Ford E-450 chassis spare tire -- or lack thereof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/18 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mounted ours on the roof. Got a piece of 12" square stainless about 1/4" thick. Drilled 2 holes that met the lug pattern and got grade 8 bolts welded on long enough to fit the rim with nuts.
A bunch of #12 stainless screws around the edge of the plate to hold down. 2 layers of fiberglass cloth slightly larger than the plate to help hold down and seal any chance of water leaks. Extension ladder at an angle easily got it up there. Gravity is your friend getting it down! Tire has a snap on cover so no uv but stays under shelter when not on the road.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The auto industry went to the small spares to save fuel. They are much lighter. "

Yes they are lighter but they are also far cheaper. By downsizing to the cheapo mini spares Detroit et al found a great way to save money while appearing to pursue fuel economy. The auto industry recognized what many RV'ers fail to acknowledge... that everyone needs a spare.

[emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/18 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My class C has the underframe winch holder for the spare. I think it's about the best all-around way to carry one if you can manage; it's not the most convenient to access, but it doesn't cut down on storage space or get in the way of a trailer or sit exposed to UV light etc.

I had to use it less than a week ago in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, in fact. Changing a tire is not fun, of course, but not exceptionally difficult on a class C either. (In case you're wondering, I got slightly too close to a stump in a tight spot on Cades Cove Road, a spot made tighter because of a long line of cars pulled off the other side of the road. A few splinters of wood from the stump got worked in between the tire bead and the wheel's rim...luckily, the tire and wheel themselves appear to be uninjured, though I need to take it to a tire shop to have the splinters removed and things checked out.)

cpman1949

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a new 2021 Jayco Grayhawk. Prior to this had a 2002 Jayco Granite Ridge. On Granite Ridge blew 6 tires over time. Unit was build too heavy. Issue disappeared once stopped buy Goodyear tires and replaced them all with Bridgestone steel belted tires. That unit had a spare. Carried 10 ton jack, required wrenches and changed tire. With new unit was afraid to be without a spare. Purchased the Roadmaster RM-195225 spare tire carrier from Carid. Bought bare rim from Roadready wheels and bought tire that match the tires currently on coach. Just getting tire mount so have not put everything together yet but feel I will be able to travel feeling more comfortable. When all set and done will have around $900 but it will be worth it. PS If you are a vet both CARID and Roadready offer a military discount.

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp: I have the Roadmaster spare tire carrier on my 2018 Mercedes Sprinter and I highly recommend it. Look at how it functions carefully and you'll find that when you need the spare, it can be pivoted down to ground level for easier handling. Also when it's time to stow the spare away, it can be pivoted from the ground up.In addition, there is an opening at the hitch level to attach another accessory like a bike carrier.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C Ford E-450 chassis spare tire -- or lack thereof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.