RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Replacement compartment latch / rekey? Items stolen?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacement compartment latch / rekey? Items stolen?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/18 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

All of my external storage compartments have locks that are opened/locked with one key EXCEPT for one compartment (ugh). This forces me to have two different keys. I would like to convert the one odd-ball latch to one that will work with the key that is used on all the others.

[image]
[image]

Does anyone know if a locksmith can convert the one odd-ball latch to work with the same key as all the others? Or is there a micro-stamp part# somewhere on these latches that would tell me which replacement latch I could order?

Let me know. Thanks!

Not that it should matter on this issue, but this is for a 2008 Four Winds 31p Chateau Class C RV.

I did google and find out that a huge percentage of these RV compartment latches are opened by the SAME key...meaning that if people wanted to open up your compartments there's a decent chance they can do it with one of their keys. How many of you have gone and changed ALL your external compartments to a different/unique key? I found this place online: ch751.com
Have any of you had stuff stolen from your external compartments (...likely because so many others have your same key??)? Just curious.

Thanks!
-Chris

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have replaced all of mine just like those on my 2006 Tioga with These ,they can all be keyed alike so I only have one key for everything. Just pick the size and how many you want.

I also like that they have a cover on the key slot that moves when you insert the key,thus keeping all grime out.

* This post was edited 09/13/18 04:39pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of using the genearic 751 key why not buy some of the barrel locks and replace everything. Barrel locks are readily available on places like Amazon and large RV parts stores. Probably wont cost you any more than rekeying a bunch of locks.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time we ever lock our compartments is when the trailer is in storage. Never had anything stolen, or messed with. Spend your money on more important stuff, like beer and BBQ. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/18 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

All of my external storage compartments have locks that are opened/locked with one key EXCEPT for one compartment (ugh).
Which probably means you need THREE keys. One for the door, one for that hatch, and one for the other hatches.

IAMICHABOD is right - if you have the most common door lock, you can upgrade all the hatches to use the same key. So, only ONE key for everything, and way more secure than the CH751 locks on 99% of RV hatches.

Bonus: you get a key with each lock cylinder you order, so you'll have lots of spares!

Con: there's a master key which will still open them, and although they're only supposed to be sold to dealers and locksmiths, I wouldn't count on that.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/18 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look at these Barrel lock set

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The only time we ever lock our compartments is when the trailer is in storage. Never had anything stolen, or messed with. Spend your money on more important stuff, like beer and BBQ. [emoticon]

I lock mine while driving to prevent them from possibly vibrating open. Had that happen to a propane compartment door. Unfortunately those are not allowed to be locked, but I was able to tweak the door casing a little so that it won't happen again. But, just like you, once we are deployed on a site, they hardly ever get locked while we are there.

As others said, those lock are available everywhere, and easy to change out.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I'd look at these Barrel lock set

x2.
Order 4 (or how many y need), they will all come with same keys. Moreover, there is a good chance that somebody on the camp could open your hatches if he has barrel locks too - the same is true for flat keys as well. At least, barrels are a little less common than flat keys.

IMPORTANT: measure the depth of the threaded part of lock before ordering, they come in different sizes.

jcsb

Sharonville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the standard 751 key. Easy to replace if needed. Never have had any thefts.

If we did lock them and someone wants to get in, a decent screwdriver will pop the door easily and that damage will be far more costly than the contents.

Jim Hunter

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a person wants into your storage compartment the best lock money can buy will not even slow them down. Any storage compartment on a trailer can be easily opened with a medium to large screwdriver, a pry bar isn't even needed. Just take a look at the surrounding aluminum framework, flimsy and easily damaged.

Those expensive locks might even cause more damage since a thief may figure there's actually something worth stealing behind those fancy locks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacement compartment latch / rekey? Items stolen?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS