|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flaky Furnace Thermostat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I meant Operation Number 16 where they are both on. Anyway, once you have time to poke around some more with it, you will probably find the problem. Interesting puzzle!

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which 8530-xxx do you have as there are a couple of different series ?
From your original post, you said something about turning on the batteries so I have to ask are you turning off a battery disconnect and killing the 12volts to the rv ?

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

Which 8530-xxx do you have as there are a couple of different series ?
From your original post, you said something about turning on the batteries so I have to ask are you turning off a battery disconnect and killing the 12volts to the rv ?

It's either the 8530-345 or 8530-348. Doesn't matter which one as they both are wired the same. (Actually, I think the 8530-345 is white and the 8530-348 is black. Or vice versa.)

No, I am not turning the disconnect switch on or off. I only mentioned that in my first post so as to be clear what I meant by the tstat's "default setting"; that is, when it is first powered up, it starts at (defaults to) a setting of 72 degrees.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the 4wire bundle, red 12+ & the White is furnace. The 3 wire bundle does the fan speeds & the HP reversing valve. If mfg followed colemans specs for OEM install.

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

Check the 4wire bundle, red 12+ & the White is furnace. The 3 wire bundle does the fan speeds & the HP reversing valve. If mfg followed colemans specs for OEM install.

Are you referring to wire bundles up at the air conditioner?

I ask because the 3 wire bundle at the tstat connects to tstat terminals identified as +12 vdc, -12 vdc, and Furnace. The 3 wire bundle is all about the furnace. It's the 4 wire bundle that goes to the AC/heat pump.

I think we might be rehashing ground already covered. I believe I've proven that to turn on the furnace, the OEM tstat connects the red +12 vdc wire to the white "Furnace" wire - both of which are in a 3-wire bundle at the tstat. I think I just need to find a new tstat that will do the same thing - allowing me to move furnace control from the OEM tstat to the new tstat.

Getting ready to head south tomorrow so I may have to put this on hold until we get to S. Cal.

Thanks

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per the Coleman OEM install spec I was looking at, the 3 wire does not go to the furnace. Both 3 & 4 bundles go back to AC control box then a wire to furnace, but that's the way it's SUPPOSEd to be wired. To turn on furnace the white in the 4 wire gets connected to the red (12+). Do it with a meter 1st to check . Why they can't put a tstat wire in that will work all the contacts is beyond me.

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

OK, I'm ready to give up on finding the cause of the tstat resetting. I am think of installing a mechanical, 2-wire thermostat next to the existing tstat, but I want to be sure to wire it up correctly.

The existing tstat is supplied with 12-volts via a red wire and there is a white wire that is labeled "Furnace" in the tstat manual. My assumption is that the white wire supplies 12-volts to the furnace whenever the tstat calls for heat.

Leaving the red wire connected to the existing tstat, I plan on tapping off the red wire to provide 12-volts to the new tstat. Then I would disconnect the white wire from the existing tstat and connect it to the new tstat.

Sound like the right way to do it?

Thanks

I quoted my plan above just to refresh everyone's memory.

Well, I finally got around to executing my plan, and it worked perfectly - AFTER I bought a compatible tstat. According to Honeywell, the CT87K was not going to work in a 12VDC system. (It was designed for a 24VAC system.)

I exchanged the CT87K for a CT53K which is about as old tech as you can go. Completely mechanical with the old bi-metallic coil.

So now I have two tstats mounted side-by-side: the OEM which controls only the Air Conditioner / Heat Pump, and the CT53K which controls only the furnace.

I would have preferred to solve the original problem without having to use a workaround, but tracking down why 12VDC to the tstat was being interrupted was beyond my knowledge level.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flaky Furnace Thermostat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.