|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone know how rear air bags work

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
djfrown

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0L that I tow a Koala 26Qi with that has air bags and auto-sensing Bilsteins front shocks. I use ~15 psi when empty and ~45 when towing. The ride is smooth.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

Generally speaking, with airbags, if there is only ONE air fitting to feed both bags, when you go around curves, and the motor home leans, it will force air from one of the bags over to the other side. A lot of people feel it's better that each bag has it's own separate air line. In addition to preventing this, it allows you to put more air into one side or the other to adjust for side-to-side weight differences.

BTW, is there air in them now? How much? Is your motor home level?

That's the best way. I've got a slammed project truck with air ride suspension and each bag has separate valves for this exact reason.

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put air bags on my previous truck to level the ride when towing. Had a fill for each side if I ever needed them different.

My current truck came with Timbrens which I prefer to the bags. No harsh ride when empty and no baby sitting the pressure in the bags.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically air bags are fixed top and bottom and don't float, so not sure what you got going on under your Winnebago.
However, the PO likely installed them because they thought it was overloaded or too soft of rear suspension.
You say it's not sagging, which in general, means you don't need anything to help the suspension.
Why not drive it no air, then 20psi, then 40 psi or whatever and see what feels best?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my class C, I find about 40 psi works out best for the air helper springs.

If they're Firestone ride-rite units, you're supposed to have I think a minimum of 10 or 15 psi, and no more than 90 psi. The volume of air requied is qutie small; a bicycle hand pump is easily able to adjust them as needed, while a large compressor can be a bit too fast if you're not careful. Even checking the pressure with a standard tire gauge can lower it a half pond or a pound, which is sometimes handy for fine-tuning if you care about that level of (probably unnecessary) precision.

It should be pretty obvious what works reasonably well when driving around. Too little, and you'll feel rather like it's wallowing around on bumps and dips; too much, and you're driving on rocks. You can also gauge by ride height (which is what they intend, really), but it's really really hard to get a pre-load ride height for a motorhome since the majority of the load is bolted or welded to the chassis before you get it.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to fill yours manually...there is an option. One I took. Mine too, came with valve stems. Still there. I had the air bag compressor installed. Gauge on the plastic stuff under the dash with the control buttons..one on each side. Looks down right spiffy..plus, I don't have to stand out in the weather to check and fill..and I can do it as roll.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=air+bag+compressor

Gary Haupt

* This post was edited 04/24/19 09:13pm by garyhaupt *

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50# on each side on my E450 class c

'11 GMC 2500 D/A 4x4
2017 Big Horn FL3750
Arctic Fox 811
'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone know how rear air bags work
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS