RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Storage compartment pans sagging, separating from sidewalls

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Storage compartment pans sagging, separating from sidewalls

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/18 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 3 year old Sunseeker has compartment pans that are too thin and light, and had too few anchors to the outside sidewall. Our 2000 Four Winds has a pass-through compartment with a one-piece plastic pan, and after 19 years, it shows no signs of sagging.
Too bad Forest River's bean counters cheapened things down to this point, but that's the way it is, bean counters being what they are.

As the pans started sagging, they pulled the pan lips away from the outer sidewall. Note the gap between the pan and the outer sidewall, at the bottom of the image:

[image]

Rather than simply add more screws to the lip, I decided to create some braces to bring the base back to level and to provide better support. I had some 1/2" angle iron and fittings from an old crib, so this is what I built:

[image]

Installation details: outer end:

[image]

Inner end, tied to frame rail:

[image]

Outer end bracket extends just above the lip inside of the compartment, I cut just a bit of pan material down to install two self-tapping screws. I took this image after spreading sealant in the gap, then after installing the remainder of the screws, I spread sealant on the screw heads:

[image]

After the initial fitting the brackets, I painted the complete bracket with paint I'd squirreled away in the chemical locker, heck, they'll get dirty soon and will look like the remainder of the underside of the coach:

[image]

Once I have the brackets in place, I'll cut some 3/16" plywood to fit the inside dimensions of the pan to provide additional support.

I have 3 compartments on our Sunseeker 2250, I suspect others have several more on their units, all with similar issues. I have these issues with the rear two compartments. The forward compartment just behind the rear door appears to be fine, though I'll add a few more screws to ensure it stays in place over time.

* This post was edited 09/27/18 09:57pm by BruceMc *

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terrible ! Not your build, the fact that you had to 'rebuild' in 3 yrs of typical part-time use.
"Look at all the storage you get with this unit" They don't tell you it's storage for a person who is a feather collector.

I thank you for taking the time to post the pics of your mod, I know it will be very helpful to myself as well as others.
It's sad to have to admit that I suspected that I would be eventually doing the same type of fix and it probably will be sooner than later.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/18 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only suggestion I might make is...please post this is the Do It Yourself Forum. It gets a lot of readers and contributors and this will no doubt help some folks.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice fix.

BruceMc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, it is terrible. One thing I've noted in the last several years since the great manufacturing migration to China is that no matter how much we pay for products, we still get the same poor quality. We simply cannot buy good quality products any longer, no matter the price or where they are manufactured.

Granted, the vast majority of RVs are manufactured right here in the good 'ol USA, but the theme is the same: "Give 'em less, and charge more for it!".
One of these days, they'll get all of our money, and give us nothing in return (coughInsuranceCough)...

garyhaupt wrote:

Only suggestion I might make is...please post this is the Do It Yourself Forum. It gets a lot of readers and contributors and this will no doubt help some folks.

Gary Haupt

Thanks Gary! I post on the ForestRiverForums as well, and as the Sunseekers and Foresters are the same units with mostly cosmetic differences (Chevy vs GMC, for example), it's good to post a link in one to the other.

I'll post a link to this article in the DIY forum.

* This post was edited 09/28/18 10:37am by BruceMc *

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When servicing my rig I get on my creeper with a flashlight and inspect the undercarriage. I have found numerous wires and lines loose. I do this on all my vehicles.

Removed the front panels of my speakers, I have the entertainment center vs overhead bunk, and drove a few extra staples into the wood framework eliminating one annoying squeak.

I like the posters fix. The photo showing the low hanging water piping concerns me. Seems like a road hazard kicked up could end in a stinky situation.

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice fix. It is depressing to see such early failure and such poor initial quality. The low drain pipes also concern me , but not much you can do with that unless you do a complete re-modification . When I see stuff like this it makes me appreciate my Winnebago which is a little better then most from my observations.

BruceMc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/18 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, the drain pipes don't really hang down that far. I drive a lot of gravel roads as well as in areas where I've encountered fairly steep approach & departure angles. I've never had an issue with them to date, with the exception of a piece of construction material stuck in the black slide valve.
They are prominent in the image due to the camera angle. The black tank is on the passenger side, where the gray is centered in the frame rails behind the fuel tank. The waste plumbing could have been routed to the passenger side, but then accessing the drain at many dump stations would be difficult as they are set up to drain on the driver side. I've considered re-routing the drains but it hasn't become a priority.

From what I've seen, Winnebago build a good product, for sure. I haven't spent much time around the brand other than a few hours looking at my brother's 2017 Vista.

BruceMc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/18 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, here's a view from a normal perspective. you can see the drain point just behind the rear wheels:

[image]

And another (in Fields Station, Oregon)

[image]

The oddity is the black dump valve is on the passenger side, where the gray is on the drivers side. The 3" black pipe does not contain effluent except while dumping!

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice work. Since we end up rebuilding so much of the junk they hand us, they ought to just sell it in kit form.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Storage compartment pans sagging, separating from sidewalls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.