RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Oil analysis

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
udidwht

Seattle

Full Member

Joined: 08/11/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/08/18 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who are interested.....(don't bother posting regarding the contact info) I'm the least bit worried. None of us are that special.

As you can see oil will easily live beyond 1 year. Easily.

Oil analyzed: Valvoline VR1 20W-50 conventional
Filter: Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpzub1q70cn3c77/RV%207.4L%20oil%20report.pdf?dl=0

* This post was edited 10/09/18 03:45pm by udidwht *


1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/09/18 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But the kicker is the cost of the analysis, to include the TBN check, is about the same as an oil change. The savings of extending the change interval based on an analysis is never realised for a gas engine but will be for a diesel when the owner is dealing with oil capacities that can be as much as 5 times that of a gasoline engine.

Getting the oil checked at each change is a good thing to do but you have to be consistent to develop the trend data. Without the trend data the test only provides a brief snapshot of the engine wear. And don't forget the transmission.

[image]

[image]


2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53


udidwht

Seattle

Full Member

Joined: 08/11/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/09/18 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

But the kicker is the cost of the analysis, to include the TBN check, is about the same as an oil change. The savings of extending the change interval based on an analysis is never realised for a gas engine but will be for a diesel when the owner is dealing with oil capacities that can be as much as 5 times that of a gasoline engine.

Getting the oil checked at each change is a good thing to do but you have to be consistent to develop the trend data. Without the trend data the test only provides a brief snapshot of the engine wear. And don't forget the transmission.

[image]

[image]


For diesels it's flipped. Everyone already knows they can go hundreds of thousands of miles before a tear-down is warranted (all things equal). Cost for analysis is more over the long run.

With a gas engine, get (1) analysis extend your interval, stick with said brand of oil/filter (every OCI) and the cost is cut and still less over time compared to how many you'd do over the life of a diesel engine.

Also pick an oil brand and stick with it. No reason to gripe over the cost of an analysis from time to time. We're all in the $hole$ the second you drove your rig off the lot.

Without even (1) your guessing.

* This post was edited 10/09/18 03:51pm by udidwht *

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/09/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

Dale.Traveling wrote:

But the kicker is the cost of the analysis, to include the TBN check, is about the same as an oil change. The savings of extending the change interval based on an analysis is never realised for a gas engine but will be for a diesel when the owner is dealing with oil capacities that can be as much as 5 times that of a gasoline engine.

Getting the oil checked at each change is a good thing to do but you have to be consistent to develop the trend data. Without the trend data the test only provides a brief snapshot of the engine wear. And don't forget the transmission.

[image]

[image]


For diesels it's flipped. Everyone already knows they can go hundreds of thousands of miles before a tear-down is warranted (all things equal). Cost for analysis is more over the long run.

With a gas engine, get (1) analysis extend your interval, stick with said brand of oil/filter (not every OCI) and the cost is cut and still less over time compared to how many you'd do over the life of a diesel engine.

Also pick an oil brand and stick with it. No reason to gripe over the cost of an analysis from time to time. We're all in the $hole$ the second you drove your rig off the lot.

Without even (1) your guessing.


Buy mine prepaid, 20 bucks a bottle and run all my farm engines and vehicles. If you can change your oil for 20 bucks or even 30 bucks, you need to allude to where you get the oil and filters at.

I pay an average of 22 bucks a gallon for T6 Rotella and that is in a 55 gallon drum.


2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ductape

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 11/15/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/09/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used oil analysis through NAPA costs me about $15 including postage.


49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/09/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Six quarts of Mobile 1 5W20 full synthetic oil and 1 Motorcraft FL820S oil filter at local Walmart is $39.55 out the door. Oil analysis from Blackstone to include a Total Base Number (TAN) of remaining additives is $38.00. If I go with just conventional oil rather than synthetic I could get the cost under $30. I could maybe get the cost almost under $20 using generic or store brand oil and filter.

For a gas coach, if an owner is not capable of changing the oil AND the engine warranty has expired so they can go beyond the recommended interval (time or distance) without the concern of warranty volition then drawing a sample and having it checked could be a potential a cost savings. Even more so for the transmission which is much more expensive to have performed and a high cost for materials.

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

Full Member

Joined: 09/28/2018

View Profile



Posted: 11/04/18 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see the need to have an oil analysis done unless you are having problems or maybe want to purchase a used vehicle.
To have them tell me my oil is good for another year isn't worth the time and money.
Just do an oil change.
Maybe the oil is still "good" but to keep any oil in a motor for over a year is just asking for problems.
There is still stuff in the oil that's hard on seals and gaskets.

BobGed

Carson City, NV

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/18 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, I wouldn't call that a completely clean report. Copper level as noted is high, and could be due to any one of a variety of conditions.

Personally I would change the oil and filter and have another analysis done at 4,000 miles. YMMV


2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

udidwht

Seattle

Full Member

Joined: 08/11/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/18 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobGed wrote:

To the OP, I wouldn't call that a completely clean report. Copper level as noted is high, and could be due to any one of a variety of conditions.

Personally I would change the oil and filter and have another analysis done at 4,000 miles. YMMV


The high copper level is normal for the 454 BBC. It comes from the rather large oil cooler. Very common finding in oil analysis from BBC engines.

udidwht

Seattle

Full Member

Joined: 08/11/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/18 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

I don't see the need to have an oil analysis done unless you are having problems or maybe want to purchase a used vehicle.
To have them tell me my oil is good for another year isn't worth the time and money.
Just do an oil change.
Maybe the oil is still "good" but to keep any oil in a motor for over a year is just asking for problems.
There is still stuff in the oil that's hard on seals and gaskets.


Incorrect. If that were the case the oil analysis would have showed that. If one is worried about something in the oil that's typical of oil after haven been ran a few thousand miles what's a few thousand miles more?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS